Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2013 Sat Nav Disc Upgrade?  (Read 5763 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

2013 Sat Nav Disc Upgrade?
« on: 27 September 2014, 13:58:34 »

I usually never use my sat nav preferring to use my brain, road knowledge, experience, and nose to track down where I want to go.

I know why I do as last week I had need to go to an address in Folkestone so I thought let's try it for once; bloody useless, it took me completely to the wrong side of town!!  I then used my trusted brain in built map and nose to quickly track down my destination. ::) ::) ::)

Anyway, I have been wondering, as I want to get my Omega completely to an up to date condition, can you still obtain up to date sat nav discs for our 2013 unit? ??? ???

This has probably been asked before, so my apologies, but I cannot be bothered to trail through years of posts!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks in advance for any answers?  :y :y :y

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Sat Nav Disc Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2014, 14:06:35 »

I think 2010 was the last update, got mine off the bay of flea, or you can always buy the set but I only needed Britain. Go on the web site as you can buy direct but it's not cheep !!!!

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2014, 14:08:32 »

2010/2011 is the latest I believe.  There is one on the bay for £59.99
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2014, 14:10:41 »

Bloody Nora!  £170 on the Navteq website!  :-\
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2014, 14:12:52 »

I think 2010 was the last update, got mine off the bay of flea, or you can always buy the set but I only needed Britain. Go on the web site as you can buy direct but it's not cheep !!!!

Thanks Joff! :-* :y :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2014, 14:13:43 »

2010/2011 is the latest I believe.  There is one on the bay for £59.99

Thanks BM, that price may be ok :-* :-* :y

That £170 is not however! :o :o ;D ;D ;)

Lizzie_Zoom

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2014, 14:47:45 »

Well, I have jumped in with both feet and bought that update on ebay as linked above!

Thanks for all your help Joff and Broomies Mate! :-* :-* :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2014, 21:08:21 »

Ignore the 'dangle berries' that it needs an "update disk" that Navteq say. Its complete cobblers, there is no software code for the NCDC on the update disk, its all on the actual map disk :)
Grumpy old man

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2014, 21:15:29 »

Yes, thanks just found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NCDC-1100-1500-NCDR-2013-2015-OPEL-SIEMENS-VDO-England-UK-Ireland-2010-2011-/400627214203?pt=Navigations_CDs_software_1&hash=item5d473e277b

Any thoughts before I buy? ??? ???

Got mine from those guys and it is spot on.

You will not regret it, although I didn't notice to many differences there are some, the main thing is it works as it should.  :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2014, 21:21:07 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NCDC-1100-1500-NCDR-2013-2015-OPEL-SIEMENS-VDO-England-UK-Ireland-2010-2011-/400627214203?pt=Navigations_CDs_software_1&hash=item5d473e277b

You will not regret it, although I didn't notice to many differences there are some, the main thing is it works as it should.  :y

Thanks for that info :y :y.

Good to know as I am expecting delivery of that disc tomorrow ;)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2014, 16:35:56 »

I got a 2014 SatNav disc for my CarIn :) for £15 :y

Works a treat too :)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2014, 17:15:13 »

Thanks for that info :y :y.

Good to know as I am expecting delivery of that disc tomorrow ;)

Well I got my 2010/11 disc.  For fun tried it to take me into town, then again back out.

If I had followed the disc's directions, and not used my local knowledge, I would still be searching for my destination!!  Absolutely crap!! ::) ::) ::) :( :(

It still doesn't work on post codes, and just lives up to what I think of sat navs; what a waste of time and money!! No wonder lorries end up down small country lanes and tracks! :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Back to what I have done for my past 1 million miles; use my brain, instinct, nose, and a little help from a hard copy map:D :D :D :y :y
« Last Edit: 07 October 2014, 17:17:46 by Lizzie Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 October 2014, 18:56:01 »

Well I got my 2010/11 disc.  For fun tried it to take me into town, then again back out.

If I had followed the disc's directions, and not used my local knowledge, I would still be searching for my destination!!  Absolutely crap!! ::) ::) ::) :( :(

It still doesn't work on post codes, and just lives up to what I think of sat navs; what a waste of time and money!! No wonder lorries end up down small country lanes and tracks! :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Back to what I have done for my past 1 million miles; use my brain, instinct, nose, and a little help from a hard copy map:D :D :D :y :y
It does what its supposed to do - get you to your destination. Not necessarily by the "best" route, but using an algorithm of the preferences you set.

Not quite sure what the fascination is with postcodes. Even when I have postcode option, I always enter town/road.

Large vehicle drivers should use a system designed for them - the Siemens VDO system is for cars, thus unsuitable for large vehicles.

Mine has yet to get me lost, stuck or otherwise embarrassed, not that its always obeyed - its a driver aid, not mandatory instruction.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 October 2014, 18:56:51 »

Really? I thought the last was for 2008.  Can't imagine the CARiN having the legs to run newer :o
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 October 2014, 18:59:25 »

To be honest, I have found it pretty good given it's age. The trick is in knowing the area you want to go to as well as the road name and making sure you have it set on the appropriate route preference ie. Prefer Motorway / Quickest / Avoid Motorway.

If you understand it's idiosyncrasies it's still a good bit of kit, such a shame that it didn't feature twin tuners to support TMC and have updated maps anymore. I have to say that when comparing the NCDC with 2011 Nav with my Tom Tom with roughly the same age maps, the NCDC is far more accurate (obviously helped by an external antenna).

I should add that I've never used an NCDC with a GID display for more than a day, as all my cars past and present have been fitted or retro-fitted with a CID which does make a big difference in terms of usability.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 October 2014, 19:06:01 »

I quite like the GID.  That said, all mine are CID as well ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 October 2014, 19:06:26 »

That's a lie, I forgot about the mobile storage facility, that's a GID
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 October 2014, 19:10:39 »

Yep but that goes slow enough to use a compass and sextant.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 October 2014, 19:17:08 »

Yep but that goes slow enough to use a compass and sextant.
OI!

But so true ;D
Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #20 on: 07 October 2014, 19:32:08 »

It does what its supposed to do - get you to your destination. Not necessarily by the "best" route, but using an algorithm of the preferences you set.

No TB, that is the problem.  It takes me in the opposite direction of my destination; twice it said "go right" when actually I had to go left to arrive at my destination! ::) ::) ::) :P

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 October 2014, 19:43:52 »

Comparing a system designed and built some 15 years ago, with a system designed and built in the last few years is somewhat pointless and self defeating.

TomTom updates their maps every 3 months .. and they are still full of errors, and the algorithm still gets it wrong, but other than the delay when it loses GPS as the accelerometer side is poor, it performs as a drivers aid very well, just like the one in the Omega does.

They both have their uses, just like paper maps do, they are all advisory .. not tablets of stone to be followed without thought .... look out of the windows and read the roadsigns is a reasonable piece of advice as well .. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 October 2014, 19:51:38 »

No TB, that is the problem.  It takes me in the opposite direction of my destination; twice it said "go right" when actually I had to go left to arrive at my destination! ::) ::) ::) :P
Did you go Functions > Route to see how it was going to get you there?  It would get you there, just maybe not by the route you would go. Esp if the route preferences are set inappropriately.
Grumpy old man

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 October 2014, 09:49:38 »

Really? I thought the last was for 2008.  Can't imagine the CARiN having the legs to run newer :o

Yes really, there is a 'new' roundabout not far from me and its only been here for around 12 months.... it directed me around it so the maps are quite current...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 October 2014, 11:59:50 »

Is it genuine, if so, what is the part number :)

Navteq only list up to 2008 for CARiN units fitted to GMs
Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #25 on: 08 October 2014, 13:01:58 »

Did you go Functions > Route to see how it was going to get you there?  It would get you there, just maybe not by the route you would go. Esp if the route preferences are set inappropriately.

No TB, I didn't.  I just relied on the thing to get me from A to B as programme in, but it did not.  This disc (2010/11), nor the one supplied with the car (2002/3) has yet proved to me that the system in the Omega can actually do what I can do myself.  That is go from A to B without wanting me to turn away from my destination, or, as in the case to Folkestone, sending me to the opposite side of Town than where the road name I typed in actually is!

If I cannot trust these devices with routes I know I sure will not trust it with going to a place I don't know.  It will be back to my tried and ested method every time! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 October 2014, 14:03:31 »

The only time I've ever used mine around Folkestone is to get near that bloody tunnel (which it did). Seeing as I will never, ever use that stupid tunnel again, I doubt I will have the opportunity to test it in that area again.

Mine dropped me at the door or my chosen destination, some hellhole in Kingston upon Thames, with no issues.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #27 on: 08 October 2014, 16:18:07 »

The only time I've ever used mine around Folkestone is to get near that bloody tunnel (which it did). Seeing as I will never, ever use that stupid tunnel again, I doubt I will have the opportunity to test it in that area again.

Mine dropped me at the door or my chosen destination, some hellhole in Kingston upon Thames, with no issues.

The Chunnel "gateway" is not actually in Folkestone TB, being just off the M20 at Junction 12A, so you wouldn't touch Folkestone itself.  If you went "around Folkestone".............well that proves my point! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 08 October 2014, 16:29:50 »

I have to be honest and say the NCDC 2013 fitted to my 2003 Elite is actually very accurate ,although the map feature is somewhat dated compared to TomTom.

Done a direct route comparison with Tomtom and the VX system takes a more direct and logical route as somedays just for the hell of it I run them both and ignore 1.

Disc is 2008/9 Genuine  and since having the laser replaced works perfectly.

Not sure I would say its State Of The Art but does get you where you want and like the built in way it reduces sound from radio and gives clear audible voice commands.

Gets my thumbs up as a usefull peice of kit  :y 

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 08 October 2014, 19:01:28 »

Genuine for £15.....? No...

Please don't start faffing on about the lazers, I have 3 more CarIn brains to burn through before I get bored with it.... :)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 October 2014, 21:15:38 »

I only use mine when I have no idea where the end location is. I normally look on Google maps to see roughly where I want to be and then let the Nav get me the last few miles or so, especially good in London (as I usually don't have a clue where I am!!) and large housing estates. I must admit every time I have used it it has always got me there and indeed home when forced of the main route due to accidents etc. I bought the wife a brand new widescreen TomTom a little while back and running the two side by side the routes chosen are usually very similar. As stated in an earlier post they are just tools to be used when most needed not strictly followed and they always recalculate if you think you know a better way and off course being a man I am never lost! ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 October 2014, 17:50:52 »

Genuine for £15.....? No...

Please don't start faffing on about the lazers, I have 3 more CarIn brains to burn through before I get bored with it.... :)
Nah, you already know the laser probs ;D

I'm wondering if someone has found a way to graft a later CARiN disk to be accepted by earlier CARiN units, or your is a 2008 disk with some crock claiming its newer...
Grumpy old man

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 22 October 2014, 21:49:40 »

Well the 'map' that is on the disc that has been supplied it quite up to date as for example there is a roundabout near our house and its only been there a coupl of years and the satnav tells you to go around it... i.e take the 1st exit, so by my reckoning its a damn sight more up to date than the 1998 disc that was supplied with the CarIn that is being used LOL
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 October 2014, 21:08:49 »

Is it possible to get maps to Finland?  ::)
Driving: Vectra - 2002 - 2.2 "GTS" - Manual
Old: Omega - 1999 - MV6 - Automatic
Old: Omega - 1995 - MV6 - Manual

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 October 2014, 18:34:50 »

Is it possible to get maps to Finland?  ::)
For what system, NCDx or CARiN
Grumpy old man

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 October 2014, 19:34:37 »

CARiN.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 October 2014, 20:15:22 »

CARiN.
Sorry, not sure. I thought they used to do a Scandanavia. But they stopped doing maps for those in 2008.
Grumpy old man

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 30 October 2014, 14:33:44 »

Oh that's a shame, probably going to put something else in the place of the screen :)

Thanks anyway!

-Mika

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #38 on: 02 November 2014, 16:34:59 »

Did someone on here say that the UK Navteq disc for 2010/11 is RRP £170?

I paid £130 for a brand new genuine 2010/11 Navteq Europe-wide disc box set direct from Opel. I bought these in February 2011 in advance of a planned European road trip that Mrs Humbucker and I have yet to embark on (because #irmscherMV6 has only just been hauled out of storage!). We're planning on going in 2015 now that the car is in the throes of being revamped, but £170 seems very steep to me for a disc that is four years old, no matter how 'new' it is.

Incidentally, we'll also be taking our Garmin with us, hehe!  ;D
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 02 November 2014, 16:46:28 »

I paid £130 for a brand new genuine 2010/11 Navteq Europe-wide disc box set direct from Opel. I bought these in February 2011 in advance of a planned European road trip that Mrs Humbucker and I have yet to embark on (because #irmscherMV6 has only just been hauled out of storage!). We're planning on going in 2015 now that the car is in the throes of being revamped, but £170 seems very steep to me for a disc that is four years old, no matter how 'new' it is.

...and a crank sensor and HBV!  :) :y

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #40 on: 02 November 2014, 16:55:32 »

...and a crank sensor and HBV!  :) :y

;D ;D ;D
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 03 November 2014, 17:54:54 »

I think its something like €199, so depends on the level of fleecing during conversion. Gits.

Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.