Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Superunleaded  (Read 11954 times)

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
Superunleaded
« on: 30 June 2016, 18:43:14 »

Averaging about 24mpg around town, with aircon on. Would a change to super unleaded increase the response from the engine and mpg?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Superunleaded
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2016, 18:52:24 »

No.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2016, 19:02:42 »

Probably improve more if you turn the Air Con off, rather than using SU.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2016, 19:04:11 »

I would hesitate to disagree with Nick, but while I cannot speak as to mpg, my 3.2 seems to like Shell super as opposed to supermarket super, and definitely feels more spritely. :y

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2016, 19:51:49 »

I would hesitate to disagree with Nick, but while I cannot speak as to mpg, my 3.2 seems to like Shell super as opposed to supermarket super, and definitely feels more spritely. :y

I might give it a go, nothing to lose. Essco super?

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2016, 19:58:51 »

+1

MPG average around 25mpg recently, Can't say if that's more or less MPG than you'd get with regular fuel as I've been using Shell for a few years now. But I'd say it runs better overall on Shell V-Power / Nitro or whatever their calling it these days.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2016, 20:20:58 »

Certainly wont do any harm, I occasionally put Shell SU in if theres a promotion going on with the Shell Drivers Club Card thingy, sometimes the extra points equals out the extra costs.

Cant honestly say it mase much difference in MPG on any of the Omegas, the little 1.6 Tigra likes it, some Shell SU in that can achieve the magic 50 MPG on a run.

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2016, 20:59:53 »

Certainly wont do any harm, I occasionally put Shell SU in if theres a promotion going on with the Shell Drivers Club Card thingy, sometimes the extra points equals out the extra costs.

:y

Cant honestly say it mase much difference in MPG on any of the Omegas, the little 1.6 Tigra likes it, some Shell SU in that can achieve the magic 50 MPG on a run.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2016, 10:11:58 »

Tesco Ultimatum, or whatever it's called, over the 'brand name' superunleadeds  :y

I wouldnt be able to justify the extra cost of the BP/Shell stuff, but the Tesco version has come out the same/even a fraction better in tests. I've used it for about a year now. Also a bit cleaner, and you know you're doing good in your engine with every fillup.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2016, 13:29:23 »

Its mostly a placebo affect imo.

Yes the extra detergents will clean out the injector system so it will run better but once clean, that's it  :y
As for the higher octane, again, yes it will feel more responsive at first but that will soon be curtailed by the ecu via the knock sensor ;) 

Now if you could have a remap to take advantage of the higher octane then happy days  :y :y

Super max type fuel is of greater benefit to tuned forced induction engines were the compression ratio is much higher because it helps stop pre ignition of the fuel mixture  ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 July 2016, 15:39:33 »

I know yonks ago there was a recommended V6 ecu remap people, 'the' one to get. Cant remember the name now.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2016, 19:16:16 »

In a 3.2 running std cats (pre's) then shell nitro, every other month(tank full) can help keep the codes away, but I've never really noticed much difference between the posh fuel and std fuel., well not in an omega.
Hoof'land storeman.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2016, 20:21:14 »

differing opinions here, do a search... 

easy to test if you do the same stretch of motorway each day and can set and keep a cruise speed.  when i did this with a 2.5 v6 i got about 10% more mpg.  saving on a 2.6 will be less due to the lower compression.

still worth it i think as super is never 10% more than normal and you do get better performance as well as mpg.  that s just my experience though, i'm sure others will be along to tell you god is on their side 8)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2016, 20:35:17 »

differing opinions here, do a search... 

easy to test if you do the same stretch of motorway each day and can set and keep a cruise speed.  when i did this with a 2.5 v6 i got about 10% more mpg.  saving on a 2.6 will be less due to the lower compression.

still worth it i think as super is never 10% more than normal and you do get better performance as well as mpg.  that s just my experience though, i'm sure others will be along to tell you GOD is on their side 8)

He use to live in reading, not near slough, But oof doesn't do religious twoodle. :D
Hoof'land storeman.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 July 2016, 17:35:17 »

Averaging about 24mpg around town, with aircon on. Would a change to super unleaded increase the response from the engine and mpg?

Not all super unleaded are the same. Some are 97, others are 98, and just a few are 99, however they are all pretty much the same price. I am certain that 99 Super (Tesco Momentum, Shell Vpower) are better. Better response and better MPG providing you do not let you right foot take too much advantage of the improved response  ;) Some "Supers"  are a waste of money. So, less than 98, don't buy it, fill up with standard unleaded.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.