Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.0 DBW Pros and Cons  (Read 2387 times)

05omegav6

3.0 DBW Pros and Cons
« on: 05 May 2012, 10:51:58 »

Given that my 3.2 has been misbehaving for the last 50k, with no end to the misfire in sight. It's now started misting the engine bay with oil via the filler cap (Breathers clear, but evidence of alot of oil in the Plenum and Throttle Body), and inspite of a new HBV, its still got a slight coolant leak >:( I've had an idea :o...

Do the following 3.2 items fit (ie bolt straight on) a later 3.0 lump:

1. Exhaust Manifolds
2. Inlet Manifold/Fuel Rail
3. Coil Packs (with Rocker Covers as required)
4. Plenum/Throttle Bodies
5. Manual Flywheel

IF all the above do fit, would the engine compare favourably with either the 3.0 or the 3.2 with regard to performance/drivability/economy?

The idea is basically to use the 3.2 ECU/Loom and associated DBW gubbins on a 3.0 lump :-\ As I understand it the later Cateras are 3.0 DBW so it should be hypothetically possible, Q is will it actually work?

GmasterT

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambridge
  • does that drifting thing...
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0 DBW Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2012, 10:58:13 »

I think yes is the answer apart from the flywheel, which annoys me as I hate the dmf and wanted a solid one!

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2012, 11:09:28 »

I think yes is the answer apart from the flywheel, which annoys me as I hate the dmf and wanted a solid one!

Plod 3.2 manuals basically have a 3.0 clutch/gearbox with a dmf iirc :-\ Apart from it being a dmf rather than solid flywheel not sure what the issue is :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2012, 11:49:41 »

From what's been said on here, don't see a problem. Although I'm sure Mark or Daz will give a defo answer.

GmasterT

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2012, 12:07:35 »

Plod 3.2 manuals basically have a 3.0 clutch/gearbox with a dmf iirc :-\ Apart from it being a dmf rather than solid flywheel not sure what the issue is :-\

Different stud pattern on the crank afaik. That's what I was told when I wanted to rid the dmf. It's not just a case of putting the 3.0 fly on

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2012, 12:19:31 »

The DMF is designed for comfort. It smooths out the power pulses and damps crankshaft resonance.

Perfect for motorway cruising  :y it is less well suited to coping with the clutch being released with the throttle wide open.

The DMF on my old (1994) 2.5 was still functioning OK after 200,000 miles but it felt slack and made the car feel as though the prop shaft was made of elastic.

[off topic] What I never worked out is why I used to stall it so often when trying to pull out slowly (prime suspects being the DMF, the power steering or the ECU shutting the IACV because it  thought the idle was too fast)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2012, 12:21:40 »

Iirc, Daz (loo-nee) convertered a 3ltr to run with dbw bits of a 2.6  :-\

Give him shout via pm  :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2012, 12:22:09 »

Different stud pattern on the crank afaik. That's what I was told when I wanted to rid the dmf. It's not just a case of putting the 3.0 fly on
IIRC the 3.0 flywheel is DMF.

Flywheel on my 2.5 definitely was.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2012, 12:23:45 »

I believe all v6's have a dmf  ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2012, 12:28:26 »

Currently got LUK Clutch and Flywheel fitted, but have a genuine Clutch kit ready to replace it. Was planning to fit a genuine Flywheel when I replace it, so if 3.2 Flywheel is an issue, I guess I might need to get a 3.0 one instead :-\

Can't say that I have an issue with having a DMF on this, only changed the old one as I changed the Crank Seal when I changed the clutch, seemed rude not to :-\

Will see what the Master/Daz suggest...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2012, 13:08:33 »

Iirc, Daz (loo-nee) convertered a 3ltr to run with dbw bits of a 2.6  :-\

Give him shout via pm  :y

I recall some sort of issue with a spacer behind the flywheel or something. Don't think there was a showstopper, at any rate.

Could be quite a good combination. 3.0 has a bit more compression, so has the potential to be a little better on fuel perhaps?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

GmasterT

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2012, 13:38:18 »

Could be quite a good combination. 3.0 has a bit more compression, so has the potential to be a little better on fuel perhaps?

Is that head design or piston causing that? :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2012, 13:56:59 »

Is that head design or piston causing that? :)

IIRC, the 3.2 pistons are pocketed to increase the combustion chamber volume and heads are the same, but that's only from memory.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 05 May 2012, 16:21:30 »

I believe all v6's have a dmf  ;)

Interesting reading , but what is a DMF  :-\   im in training  :)

GmasterT

• Intermediate Member
  • Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2012, 16:28:26 »

DMF is Dual Mass Flywheel, or Dual Mass Fail, mainly as they are no good for my abuse  :D ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.