Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2 stalling when pulling up at junctions...  (Read 2520 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 stalling when pulling up at junctions...
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2013, 23:04:48 »

;D did you pull the bulb at the same time ::)
Noo, pull the bulb out!, does that cause the eml to come on?   :D

chrisgixer

« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2013, 23:24:38 »

Why would the purge valve cause a stall? :(

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 14 November 2013, 23:26:50 »

;D did you pull the bulb at the same time ::)
Noo, pull the bulb out!, does that cause the eml to come on?   :D
No, silly ::) if you take the bulb out, it isn't there to stay on... ;D

Unless of course your one blew at the surprise of not being triggered by a precat code ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 14 November 2013, 23:27:29 »

Mahoosive vacuum leak :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #19 on: 14 November 2013, 23:31:19 »

Mahoosive vacuum leak :-\
Wouldn't it hunt? Sorry, I've no understanding of the purge valve what so ever.

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 14 November 2013, 23:48:58 »

Pipe to it comes from breather bridge :y clip had failed, allowing hose to come off so air leak at inlet effectively.

Clutch down as you come to a stop, so no load on engine and the revs drop low enough to stall, pressing the brake pedal upsets the vacuum in the plenum, making it choke. That combination of effects is enough to stall it dead, no splutter, simply revs drop and stopped.

Pulling one side of the intake duct to the throttle body had the same effect... instant stall.

The purge valve simply releases tank fumes (collected in the carbon cannister in the right hand wheel arch) in to the plenum as part of the emission controls.

chrisgixer

« Reply #21 on: 14 November 2013, 23:51:12 »

Pipe to it comes from breather bridge :y clip had failed, allowing hose to come off so air leak at inlet effectively.

Clutch down as you come to a stop, so no load on engine and the revs drop low enough to stall, pressing the brake pedal upsets the vacuum in the plenum, making it choke. That combination of effects is enough to stall it dead, no splutter, simply revs drop and stopped.

Pulling one side of the intake duct to the throttle body had the same effect... instant stall.

The purge valve simply releases tank fumes (collected in the carbon cannister in the right hand wheel arch) in to the plenum as part of the emission controls.

Oh ffs. I'll go stand in the corner with Henryd and EMD. ::) ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 14 November 2013, 23:58:55 »

I'll soon know on the way to work whether refitting the pipe has fixed it or not :y

Coolant sensor could simply be a side effect of the thermostat/cooling system issues, now resolved, but cannot be sure as I haven't checked the codes for at least 6 months :-[

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 November 2013, 09:46:46 »

Are you sure the connectors for the coolant temp. sensor and purge valve haven't been swapped?

Failing that, check the resistance of the purge valve with a multimeter. Guessing a couple of hundred Ohms would be typical.

Alternatively, those two items are probably on the same stretch of loom, so might share a common ground connection... :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 15 November 2013, 10:33:24 »

Are you sure the connectors for the coolant temp. sensor and purge valve haven't been swapped?

Al, if you need to compare one weekend, let me know.. I really need to find the motivation to pull the inlet manifold & cam covers off anyway and someone coming to look at my wiring might provide that ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 November 2013, 11:19:13 »

Al, if you need to compare one weekend, let me know.. I really need to find the motivation to pull the inlet manifold & cam covers off anyway and someone coming to look at my wiring might provide that ;D

I doubt it would, but a ruby murray afterwards might. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 November 2013, 11:48:13 »

I doubt it would, but a ruby murray afterwards might. ::)

Now you're talking :P

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 15 November 2013, 21:03:35 »

Failing that, check the resistance of the purge valve with a multimeter. Guessing a couple of hundred Ohms would be typical.

Alternatively, those two items are probably on the same stretch of loom, so might share a common ground connection... :-\
Second loom was swapped plug by plug iirc, but that may be a possibility :-\

Purge valve renewed at 160k due to it copping the arse at taking exception to being filled with carb cleaner when I did the breathers.

Difficult to say wrt the purge valve code, as it does include vacuum oddities, and that was the pipe that came adrift...

Didn't so much as hesitate all the way to or from work, so considered 'Checked, found satis. NFA'.

Doesn't rule out either dismantling Aarons car for checking purposes, nor the subsequent curry though :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.