Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob question about pressure test.  (Read 3492 times)

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
Noob question about pressure test.
« on: 18 October 2006, 03:15:15 »

Well I have sludge in my header tank. No mayo on the stick or near filler. Fumie Header tank though and I want to rule out head gasket. I will be buying a pressure tester and have no idea how to use one.

What kind of readings should i expect? And  How do i rule out the headgasket?

Thanks for any help.

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Noob question about pressure test.
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2006, 03:28:45 »

Another noob question. I want to change fuel filter. Its my understanding that each fuel injector has a filter connected to it? Or is it that there is one fuel filter (inline) which then goes to the injectors? For the 3.0 at rockauto.com all im seeing is the inline variety...

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2006, 03:39:47 »

Well while im at it....

Im looking at spark plugs. I know stock has a .040 gap Now im curious Ive been looking at the NGK Gpower plugs $2.49 ea. which only come in a .060 gap.. does this speed up the spark or down? How come when i look up my car they offer the .06 and not the .04? How will it effect my spark? I might also need some new wires since crank cover gasket leaking oil into my wells... They are pricey and I hear on another board that its possible to use BOSCH +4 (cheaper an more comon) wires in place of the stock +3. What is the diference? And what does the +3 +4 mean?
« Last Edit: 18 October 2006, 03:45:34 by zealious »

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2006, 04:15:15 »

I just got done reading that anything under .08 is fine.. and that the gap only effects the ground. so .06 is just in the design of the plug and should work fine on my car?

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2006, 07:13:37 »

Another noob question. I want to change fuel filter. Its my understanding that each fuel injector has a filter connected to it? Or is it that there is one fuel filter (inline) which then goes to the injectors? For the 3.0 at rockauto.com all im seeing is the inline variety...
In line fuel filter is just in front of the fuel tank. Take rear wheel off and you should see it just sitting there.

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2006, 20:28:49 »

I REALLY need to find out how to distinguish HEAD GASKET failre from OiL COOLER Failure.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 October 2006, 20:34:50 »

I REALLY need to find out how to distinguish HEAD GASKET failre from OiL COOLER Failure.

I think the fact you can smell exhaust fumes in header tank makes it fairly certain.  A pressure test should confirm - one or more cylinders will have much less compression...
Grumpy old man

Eliteman Steve

• Brighton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 October 2006, 20:39:37 »

If oil is in water , then then most likely to be oil cooler . Save yourself the cost of pressure tester , if was head gasket , water would be in oil , mayo in filler cap/ on dipstick engine overheating and possibly steam out of exhaust even when hot (normal when cold).

Oil cooler is located in the V between the cylinder banks , buried under everything , but by all accounts not a bad job to do . :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 October 2006, 20:44:39 »

If oil is in water , then then most likely to be oil cooler . Save yourself the cost of pressure tester , if was head gasket , water would be in oil , mayo in filler cap/ on dipstick engine overheating and possibly steam out of exhaust even when hot (normal when cold).

Oil cooler is located in the V between the cylinder banks , buried under everything , but by all accounts not a bad job to do . :y
The worry with this one is exhaust fumes in header tank...
Grumpy old man

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 October 2006, 00:14:49 »

Yes. The fumes smell close to gasoline. I have no mayo on my dip stick. Nothing near the filler. There is NO signs what so ever of water in my oil. My exhaust is a beautiful light grey color...

I have been driving the car ligtly (maybe 150miles in last month) since i noticed mayo in the header tank.

a day ago, on a short trip, the check engine light came on. But went out after a few minutes.

Then it came on last night and has been on since.

For the last few weeks when u turn the engine over it sort of strugles for .5 sec then gets going. (could be from oil in my spark plug wells from valve cover gaskets failing

Any how, a few days ago I orderd all the parts necessary to do Oil cooler and the Valve cover gaskets. I even grabed plenum gasket set. Thought about get ing intake set (upper and lower) fuel filter, spark plugs...

And now it might be my head gasket?? LORD i hope not. Ive only had this car 4 months and ive treated her SOOO well.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2006, 00:16:09 by zealious »

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2006, 03:08:56 »

Well my mechanic doesnt own a pressure tester. and the good ones cost too much. He feels pretty certain that its not the head gasket

There are no bubles in the header tank while running.

the smell doesnt quite smell like exhaust fumes... it smells of something i cant describe. It sort of smells oily, and is slightly fumey. any how i guess ill have to take it to a shop to get checked.

wigan pier

• Keep on Trucking
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 October 2006, 06:13:36 »

Yes. The fumes smell close to gasoline. I have no mayo on my dip stick. Nothing near the filler. There is NO signs what so ever of water in my oil. My exhaust is a beautiful light grey color...

I have been driving the car ligtly (maybe 150miles in last month) since i noticed mayo in the header tank.

a day ago, on a short trip, the check engine light came on. But went out after a few minutes.

Then it came on last night and has been on since.

For the last few weeks when u turn the engine over it sort of strugles for .5 sec then gets going. (could be from oil in my spark plug wells from valve cover gaskets failing

Any how, a few days ago I orderd all the parts necessary to do Oil cooler and the Valve cover gaskets. I even grabed plenum gasket set. Thought about get ing intake set (upper and lower) fuel filter, spark plugs...

And now it might be my head gasket?? LORD i hope not. Ive only had this car 4 months and ive treated her SOOO well.

Don't make my mistake..get genuine Vx parts!
Gord.
Omega 2.5 cdx and Vectra 2.5 cdx estate

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 October 2006, 10:03:51 »

If it does not speed of exhaust fumes, then I would go with oil cooler.

Do not drive the car another inch until this is changed - that oil will rot the coolant hoses and block the waterways, and certainly block the rad...
Grumpy old man

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 October 2006, 06:03:46 »

ER. Guys im getting frustrated. I cant seeme to find any advice that doesnt contradict its self on this matter.

I personaly am voting its the head gasket/thermostat failed/sensor. here is the low down.

One day I was leaking coolant. Badly. HCV.
Mechanic told me that a quick fix would be to take the HCV apart and crimp all the hoses.
So i took his advice.
     NOw i cant seeme to find a diagram for the Omega but on most cars one of the hoses goes from the engine to the tank. wouldnt crimping these hoses STOP the circulation of coolant?
 Im pretty sure that this is what happend. I stoped the circulation of the coolant. AND THEN DROVE IT. Got about 15 miles on the car and it over heated.
at the time i didnt even know i over heated because of the guage reading normal temp (2cnd mark) . I had no idea why steam was coming form my engine and a check engline light on.
 So i guess this is due to some sensor failing?

Any way I didnt notice the car was over heating soon enough and I worry that I warped my head pretty good.

Now is where it gets strange.

Of course the car ran fine the next day.

So i fited a pipe to go from the top drivers side coolant 2 HCV tube to the tube going to the resivor. and stoped up that bottom hose on the driver side that goes to the cabin.

then i changed my coolant.

THERE WAS NO OIL IN THE COOLANT. everything worked great and then 3 days later i notice a foam building up in the header tank.
a FEW more days and its turned into a thick smelly sludge. I smeel fumes in the tank although not quite smelling of exhaust fumes.

Tomorow im going to drain some oil from the pan and see if there is any coolant in it.. however at this point it seems that there is SOOOO much oil in my coolant that there wont be any water in the oil.. if u get my drift.

Im pretty sure that i will find water in the oil even though im not seeing it on the stick or near the filler.

Even if there is no water in my oil its still possible that the head cracked or warped only in a place where oil would get in the coolant.

Straight up this is a disaster.

My cooling system is covered in oil.
My valve gaskets leaked oil all into my spark plug wells.
I have some sort of faulty temp sensor.
My head is probly warped and gasket failed. Hopefuly not cracked but at this point who cares??

so does anyone want to be optomistic and explain to me how it could be the oil cooler?!

:-X :-/ :'( :-[

All of this because I was too broke at the time to spend a retarded 110 USD on a new HCV!!!!!!

zealious

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 October 2006, 08:13:11 »

Ok so I drained some oil from the oil pan and it looks free of water.

guess what. It smells fumey just like the header tank. Sort of like gas. WTH.?

Also My car uses dexcool which is redish. So if it mixed with the oil would i be able to see it?

Im pretty sure since oil does not mix with water and water is heavier thanoil, the water would def have been at the bottom of my oil pan...

This sort of sounds like good news. Maybe it IS just the cooler  :-/
« Last Edit: 21 October 2006, 08:14:04 by zealious »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.