Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: any advice or help i am thinking of having lpg  (Read 849 times)

ZEE

• View Profile
any advice or help i am thinking of having lpg
« on: 11 January 2009, 00:43:51 »

hi
guys i want to have an lpg conversion on my elite v6 2.5 how much will it cost me and is it adviceable please?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: any advice or help i am thinking of having lpg
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2009, 01:07:04 »

I had my 3.2 converted nearly a year ago .. cost was £1850 + VAT = just under £2200... this was a full professional BRC system with an 80 ltr tank.

Conversion took 4 days.

Savings since then have AVERAGED  36% .. at one time I was saving 16 p/mile when petrol was at its highest ... now saving around 8 p /mile ... I can let you have the spreadsheet if you want.

Performance wise .. absolutely no difference .. you wouldn't even know it was not petrol.

DIY it can, and has been, done a lot cheaper .. but it is your choice.

One major thing I have found is LPG prices vary tremedously around the country, and between sources ... visiting my son (Huddersfield) or daughter (Cardiff) I pay on average 6 p/ltr less than I do in Swindon .. :(

Anything else I can help with just ask ... :)

Pippin

• Intermediate Member
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Signum 1.9CDTi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2009, 10:38:09 »

I had mine done in September and since then have saved on average about £25 per week..... helps towards the road tax..... ;)
RoSPA Gold Advanced Driver
Trade Card Holder

cbowditch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2009, 10:52:47 »

I had mine converted when petrol was at £1.20/Litre for £1700+VAT. the system was a BRC system fitted with an 80 Litre tank much like Entwood's. I calculated I would make my money back in a year (or 15K miles) or better if petrol kept increasing. Unfortunately petrol dropped like a stone since and now its going to take almost 3 years to break even  :( I'm not likely to keep the car another 3 years as I will want to change before then, so it was a bad decision. You need to consider how many miles you do a year and work out how long it will take you to break even and whether you will want to keep the car longer than that.

Martin_1962

« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2009, 11:47:19 »

Compare the prices of LPG and petrol, and your mileage.

If petrol is around 80p and LPG over 50p, with the 10% difference in energy per litre it isn't worth spending the money unless you are doing a very high mileage.

However if you can get LPG for under 50p a litre and do DIY go for it.

With the way prices have gone I would now think long and hard before starting.

Martin_1962

« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2009, 11:48:23 »

BTW my local places, 1 shut, 1 artificially high, so I drive 9 miles from work to save 4p a litre

REvil71

• Wales
    • 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2009, 11:53:47 »

seriously consider all of your options before you convert. I use to be in the business and it was either you had a good conversion from a reputable company with a warranty or you had a cheap system and took your chances. We had all sorts of cars in with problems as we were also working for the government in fixing dodgy systems and claims. Bottom line is if it will save you enough - go for it but if you have doubts don't. Also for a good conversion your engine has to be 100% healthy or faults will occur.
hope this helps.

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2009, 11:58:57 »

Always go for sequential gas injection and not a mixer system, if you go professional check the companies VERY carefully and check with us first.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2009, 12:36:09 »

I am one of the many who have gone down the DIY route, with a kit which is proven to work well on the mig. I converted in August (luckily :o :o) when petrol was most expensive.  At the time I was saving over 15p per mile... Since then the petrol prices have plummeted and I reckon I now save under 10ppm BUT, because of the mileage I do I have already saved enough to pay back the £680 outlay!!

TBH, if you are capable of DIY and are willing to do it, I'm sure if you are close enough then some of us would be willing to help :y :y, and do more than approx 1500 miles/month, and have a good source of sensibly priced LPG locally, and intend on keeping the car for long enough, then it's worth doing.

Sorry if I can't be more helpful, but if I hadn't already saved enough for the payback on mine I'd be spitting now!!!
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

chrisl_1960

• cambs
  • why didnt I get a V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2009, 12:54:54 »

I had lpg on a 3.0 Jag before i bought the mig, it was a proffesional fit, and saved me a fortune, only setback I had that it seemed to run a lot hotter on gas, If I ever manage to change my 2.2 for a 3.2, I'd definately consider having a conversion done again.

Marie

• Omega Baron
  • Linconshire but works in oxfordshire
  • i am a hands on person, i like to get stuck in !!!
    • 2ltr LPG Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2009, 14:49:24 »

i wouldnt recommend converting at the moment due to the prices of fuel and inital outlay cost.

unfortunatly the time taken to recoupe the cost of conversion will take you serveral years now.

i was very lucky when i did our conversion but now our milage has decreased as has the fuel price we hardly save any money.

at the end of the day its up to you but i would reccomend DIYing it if you do go ahead. their are various members on here that might be able to help with the conversion including myself. look up jamesv6cdx he sells the kits at a reasonable price.
Now has two miggs in our house hold. Both 2.0ltr 16v lpg'd. a MFL and a FL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.