Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: For those that love steam engines  (Read 2392 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: For those that love steam engines
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2014, 19:03:31 »

Indeed Kevin, the Mid Hants Railway undertook the main restoration work on her about 10 years ago if I remember correctly.  After doing some local and main line work she went elsewhere? :y :y

Yes, a friend of mine spent a good part of his life in the boiler welding;D

I think it did most of a season at mid hants being fettled before hitting the main line.

A damn fine job was made of it too I think! :y :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2014, 21:45:00 »

Thank you for that link - such lovely, evocative photos of a different age.
I went to this event:-
www.bbc.co.uk/archive/steamtrains/7305.shtml

I fear it can never be repeated, but well worth the journey to darkest Northern territory!

Ron.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2014, 17:24:58 »

:y This was just down the road from me so I called in this afternoon , have to say it was a pretty impressive sight , the engineering on these engines was awesome to see , couldn't believe the size of the drive wheels on them ! they had the "Sir Nigel Gresley" fired up and running short trips , well worth a visit  :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2014, 17:43:03 »

Summer days often find me at the restored line at Swanage (Dorset) station. Now the locos are not in the massive class as those talked about here, but I am always impressed by the moment of start-off; the phenomenal torque exhibited and the quiet sigh with which the engines go about their business just leaves me in small-boy, open-mouthed delight - am I the only one to be so taken by them?

Ron.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2014, 17:47:37 »

Summer days often find me at the restored line at Swanage (Dorset) station. Now the locos are not in the massive class as those talked about here, but I am always impressed by the moment of start-off; the phenomenal torque exhibited and the quiet sigh with which the engines go about their business leaves me in small-boy, open mouthed wonder - am I the only one to be so impressed?

Ron.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 February 2014, 08:59:32 »

Summer days often find me at the restored line at Swanage (Dorset) station. Now the locos are not in the massive class as those talked about here, but I am always impressed by the moment of start-off; the phenomenal torque exhibited and the quiet sigh with which the engines go about their business leaves me in small-boy, open mouthed wonder - am I the only one to be so impressed?

Ron.

The Battle of Britain/West Country Class they have done there are a fair size........although they suffer the usual Southern Region designs thirst for coal!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2014, 09:09:06 »

Sorry, Mark, I hope it didn't sound as if I was denigrating Swanage's stock; I certainly wasn't - they are doing a fabulous job in keeping everything running and restoring more and more of the track, etc. I really meant that even the smaller locos have this power to amaze with their easy takeoff, no high revs and screaming their 'dangle berries' off to get the job done!

Ron.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 February 2014, 09:22:05 »

Sorry, Mark, I hope it didn't sound as if I was denigrating Swanage's stock; I certainly wasn't - they are doing a fabulous job in keeping everything running and restoring more and more of the track, etc. I really meant that even the smaller locos have this power to amaze with their easy takeoff, no high revs and screaming their 'dangle berries' off to get the job done!

Ron.

Oh yes, sorry if my reply sounded a little like that, it was more a case of stating they have some nice stock there including some good sized mainline locos.

I had the pleasure of a ride on a West Country Class last year (Wadebridge, usualy kept down near Mr Wood), nice loco, I aheva  soft spot for them

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 February 2014, 10:22:07 »

Bummer, missed that then :-(
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.