Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Only 4 Years Sentenace for killing someone with a single punch  (Read 1525 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
Re: Only 4 Years Sentenace for killing someone with a single punch
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2014, 20:09:28 »

Got one even worse than that!!!

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/11031595.Motorist_who_killed_woman_on_Lovely_Lane_handed_suspended_sentence/

'Post Accident Amnesia'  ??
 The bastard never wants to know another moments peace in this or any other lifetime! >:(   
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2014, 20:55:16 »

At least Lee Rigbys killers have got something like a proper sentence for their crime.It's about time judges stood up to be counted and start giving out sentences more appropriate to the crime,instead of all this drivel about the "human rights" of the perpetrator!!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2014, 21:53:17 »

Reading about that cycle incident today, the thought occurred: if the police were to do their job and fine any and every cyclist on the pavement (£30 on-the-spot penalty), this incident would never have happened.
As for councils marking out shared footpaths - how come? National law prohibits cycling on pavements, so can local councils overrule this very dangerous practice?

Ron.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2014, 07:03:35 »

if the police were to do their job and fine any and every cyclist on the pavement (£30 on-the-spot penalty), this incident would never have happened.

Unfortunately, the numbers of officers on a shift for any given area (responding to 999 calls and owning investigations) vs the necessity to deal with far more serious matters, means 99.99% of bobbies will not give a cyclist on a pavement a second glance. It's not through neglect of duty, its through necessity in balance with other things going on

Just the way things are - a national resourcing issue I would imagine

In terms of if police gave out more tickets this wouldn't have happened - even if that we're so, it would have only taken something else to trigger that evil individual to do this to a different victim, eg a funny look in the street or a minor dispute

The only person to take responsibility for that lethal punch is the sick individual who dealt it.

:y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2014, 08:55:24 »

James, I fully appreciate your point about resources (as you know, I used to be a college lecturer, so I know ALL about funding issues), but surely if all those apprehended cycling on pavements, jumping lights and otherwise breaking the law were releived of £30 a pop, a lot of your cash shortfall would be solved?
I do apologise to zirk for going off-topic here, but most people I know resent the way in which cyclists break the law with impunity and put others at risk.
Also James, much as I hate to disagree with such a fine fellow, I often see what appears to me to be pairs of officers casually strolling along pavements, ignoring the above illegal acts right in front of their eyes. This clearly indicates to me that they are NOT engaged in more serious matters.....

Ron.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2014, 11:00:08 »

In terms of if police gave out more tickets this wouldn't have happened - even if that we're so, it would have only taken something else to trigger that evil individual to do this to a different victim, eg a funny look in the street or a minor dispute

The only person to take responsibility for that lethal punch is the sick individual who dealt it.

I echo every word said James, and even IF everyone WAS ticketed for riding on a pavement it wouldn't stop em. I can think of one such example in my patrol area that's been battered with tickets  - There's an access only road that is the bain of our lives as we get loads of complaints from residents about it being used as a rat run. Without exaggerating I've handed out absolutely hundreds of tickets at £50 a throw (and so have colleagues) and it doesn't stop people using it! Still the complaints come in and the road rage. Even if ya doubled the ticket price it wouldn't stop em!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2014, 11:29:55 »

I stand corrected, Jason. It's £50 now, is it? Well, at the very least it would swell police funds and allow for more officers? Maybe if fines of whatever level won't deter these law-breakers, a custodial sentence would - it would certainly remove the nuisance for a while!

Ron.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2014, 12:01:37 »

a custodial sentence would   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Now you're really havin a laugh! If you only get a suspended sentance for driving up the pavement and mowing a young mother holding her childs hand whilst walking along said pavement, minor cycling offences have absolutely no chance!!!  ::) ::) ::)

"it would swell police funds"

Not a chance, as the government get most of it. We only receive a very small percentage!!!
« Last Edit: 27 February 2014, 12:04:53 by Jasonm »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2014, 13:56:37 »

Jason, I'm sorry if you find my suggestions laughable, but we do seem to be a bit polarised here, with you, on behalf of the police, saying that it's either too trivial or too much bother to action, and me and many others being thoroughly jarred off with these hooligans running riot and having no action taken!
Ok, may I make another suggestion: what if you were to attach a padlock to the chainwheel or somesuch, thus immobilising the cycle (equivalent of the clamping so beloved of the police and others), but do not carry any keys. You will then require the miscreant to haul his bike to the local nick to have it unlocked, and you would get your padlock back too?
It would be such a pain in the arse for them to do that, they will think twice before offending again!

Ron.

Jusme

• Omega Knight
  • North Hykeham, Lincoln.
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2014, 14:01:07 »

I've handed out absolutely hundreds of tickets at £50 a throw (and so have colleagues) But, Do they pay it??
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #12 on: 27 February 2014, 16:27:52 »

So how many padlocks are we supposed to carry around with us??? Bad enough with all the kit we have at the moment and then be given 20 or so padlocks. In any event the law would need to be changed to allow it (which would never happen).

Like both I and James said before if it wasn't this event something else would have triggered what the thug did and he and he alone is responsible!

Jusme - in response to do they pay, on the whole about 90% of em do.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 February 2014, 17:18:38 »

This thread has jolted my memory of something I dealt with when I used to be a special.

Stopped a lady riding on the pavement, at night, no lights. Dealt with by asking her to push it or face a ticket (£30, it was 2008)

Drive round the block, catch her riding again. £30 duly issued with more stern words of advice that she'd be in court if it happened again

Drive around the block, and, you guessed it!!! Kept my promise and submitted a summons file, detailing the fact she had been warned, then ticketed, and then caught again ..

The magistrates absolutely went to town on her, fine was in the several hundreds.

Sad reality is, I'm sure Jason will agree, there are scores of officers who spend so much time having to deal with no-crime domestics and "Facebook complaints" they probably forget they can put people in court for such matters, quickly, from the roadside..

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 February 2014, 17:39:25 »

Thanks James, I was beginning to think the entire OOF police force was against me! But forgive me, Jason, would it really need a change in the law? You clamp motorists.

I have hijacked the original post more than enough, sorry folks.
Returning to it, did you see the mother of the murderer's comments in today's paper?
"Killing someone is no big deal, I don't see what all the fuss is about - he's a good boy, really"
If THAT is being a good boy, WTF does she define as being a bad boy?
Deportation for the whole lot of them would be good.......

Ron.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 18 queries.