Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switched ign supply  (Read 1673 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Switched ign supply
« on: 28 February 2014, 16:30:59 »

Where is the best place to take a 12v ign switched supply? Somewhere inside the steering shroud perhaps? I wish to get an ign switched 12v supply to a switched relay for my intercooler fan. The  fan relay switch is mounted in the hole which held the trafficmaster switch.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Switched ign supply
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2014, 16:39:40 »

The cigar lighter socket in the console is ignition-switched; any good?
I'm interested in how you got the TrafficMaster button out.....

Ron.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2014, 16:47:52 »

The cigar lighter socket in the console is ignition-switched; any good?
I'm interested in how you got the TrafficMaster button out.....

Ron.

Thanks Ron, I might use that, but TB recommends not to use that for parking sensors, so I would prefer to splice into something else.

The TM switch prises out with a thin blade under the edge. Fortunately the fan switch I am fitting is the same size! Result! :y I got the side panel off and found lots of extra cable taped around a loom. I released the extra cable and was able to pull out the TM switch with the extra cable. The only problem is that TM is still live, even with the wires wrapped, giving those ocsnl unwanted 'expired' calls. HTH :y :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2014, 16:53:32 »

..... The only problem is that TM is still live, even with the wires wrapped, giving those ocsnl unwanted 'expired' calls. HTH :y :y :y

The Traffic Master has its own loom that sits i the supply to the radio. Once the radio is out, you can easily remove it ...... added bonus is there's more room behind the radio so is easier to shove back in.  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2014, 16:57:07 »

..... The only problem is that TM is still live, even with the wires wrapped, giving those ocsnl unwanted 'expired' calls. HTH :y :y :y

The Traffic Master has its own loom that sits i the supply to the radio. Once the radio is out, you can easily remove it ...... added bonus is there's more room behind the radio so is easier to shove back in.  :y

Thanks Andy, any tips for removing the radio? Its an MFL. Also, reading back threads, there is a unit above the brake pedal. I assume if I remove this it will shut the silly bitch up. :-X
« Last Edit: 28 February 2014, 17:06:32 by Shackeng »

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2014, 16:58:45 »

Drop a lead down to the fuse box under the steering column :y

As a rule red wires are permanent live, black are switched :y
« Last Edit: 28 February 2014, 17:02:43 by Taxi Al »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2014, 18:05:44 »

Drop a lead down to the fuse box under the steering column :y

As a rule red wires are permanent live, black are switched :y

Thanks Al, I've been playing with that this afternoon with the fuse panel out. I was surprised to find so few switched lives, only about 3 I think, and two of those were less than 12v, about 10v, and one had a residual 0.02v with ign off, so I though I might go inside the shroud for something off the ign switch. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2014, 18:17:54 »

Ensure that any wiring you add is good mechanically, electrically and insulated properly. Soldering and heatshrink are to be recommended. As is an appropriate fuse.

I''ve recovered 4 taxis so far this year with underdash fires. Everyone had recently had electric devices 'fitted'. One was a total burn out.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2014, 18:34:04 »

Ensure that any wiring you add is good mechanically, electrically and insulated properly. Soldering and heatshrink are to be recommended. As is an appropriate fuse.

I''ve recovered 4 taxis so far this year with underdash fires. Everyone had recently had electric devices 'fitted'. One was a total burn out.

Oh yes, I'm very squeamish about fires behind control panels, after having one in a Nimrod at 30W!

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2014, 19:25:42 »

That sounds like someone fitting meters/radio systems who shouldn't be... any common details :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2014, 22:27:46 »

Thanks Andy, any tips for removing the radio? Its an MFL. Also, reading back threads, there is a unit above the brake pedal. I assume if I remove this it will shut the silly bitch up. :-X

It's best removed with proper radio removal tools, a local motor factor/radio fitting place will sort you out with some. Failing that, Halfords  ;)
Can't remember about a unit above the brake pedal ...... it was 10 yrs ago when I removed my Traffic Master  ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2014, 23:07:24 »

It's best removed with proper radio removal tools, a local motor factor/radio fitting place will sort you out with some. Failing that, Halfords  ;)
Can't remember about a unit above the brake pedal ...... it was 10 yrs ago when I removed my Traffic Master  ;)

Thanks Andy :y :y :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.