Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Steering Flushing  (Read 1091 times)

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
Power Steering Flushing
« on: 30 August 2019, 15:59:50 »

Hi Guys

Has anyone out there got any bright ideas, first off I’m talking about the Omega with the 2.5 L diesel engine not that I think in this instance it will make any difference if it was petrol.

My problem is the power steering has packed up and the fault was traced to the pump which has now been taken off and sent for repair.
The repairers have said the system needs to be flushed out before fitting the repaired pump which all makes good sense to me.

Ok there are two pipes which connect onto the fluid top up reservoir, one goes down and connects to the power steering pump via a banjo union unlike the one shown at B in the image but the same as the one shown at A.

Does anyone know the best way to flush the system out from the banjo at A, or could I simply pour fluid in at point C until it comes out at banjo A, although I think point C is the return fluid pipe so I would be flushing the system in reverse if you get my meaning.
Circuit-4.jpg](https://postimg.cc/vgRFpCNT)

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light

Clive

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Power Steering Flushing
« Reply #1 on: 31 August 2019, 19:08:02 »

I guess just disconnect the return hose to the reservoir, remove and flush the reservoir then block the channel where the return hose was, fill with fresh fluid, run the engine until the fluid has gone, catching what comes out of the return hose, and repeat until you get clean fluid with no debris from the return hose. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 August 2019, 19:11:54 »

ATF is cheap, and the hoses from and to the reservoir are attached with hose clamps.

So, attach a larger reservoir to the supply hose and extend the return hose into a bucket.

Fill the reservoir, start the engine, and keep turning the steering wheel lock to lock until clean fluid comes out. That probably won't take long as it's not like engine oil.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2019, 19:21:19 »

ATF is cheap, and the hoses from and to the reservoir are attached with hose clamps.

So, attach a larger reservoir to the supply hose and extend the return hose into a bucket.

Fill the reservoir, start the engine, and keep turning the steering wheel lock to lock until clean fluid comes out. That probably won't take long as it's not like engine oil.

Yeah, I should have said catching and discarding what comes out of the return hose. :-[

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2019, 00:09:12 »

Just suck the oil out from the resovior, then refill, drive around, repeat step 1 job done.
Hoof'land storeman.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.