Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant leak  (Read 14011 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Coolant leak
« Reply #30 on: 10 September 2019, 11:37:21 »

You've used several foolproof methods to prove there isn't an external leak.
It has an internal fault, and a rotten head gasket is most likely. It's doing almost exactly what mine did: fine on a run, but short low speed urban journeys cause the water level to drop noticeably.

:( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'(

Yes, exact same issues mine has.

However I would have thought this would cause miss-fire? Coolant would leak into the bores if HG was gone. (even though it's unheard of for 3.2?)

I have noticed the odd 'lumpy' running when idling at lights, feels like it miss-fires but it does not. It's very, very slight.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 September 2019, 11:46:58 »

Move past the dogma, and face facts. 'Unheard of on 3.2s' does not, under any circumstances, mean impossible. It means unlikely, and is intended to push you into doing proper diagnosis rather than initially jumping to erroneous conclusions.

You've done that diagnosis(several times).

Mine also had an occasional slight misfire. The back plug on the driver's side was cleaner than the others, and the gasket was clearly leaking into that cylinder. The other side looked as bad when I took it off.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 September 2019, 11:54:55 »

Need to get my compression tester I think, it’s at my parents garage.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 September 2019, 12:29:39 »

Need to get my compression tester I think, it’s at my parents garage.

You'd be better with a leak-down tester.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 September 2019, 12:38:51 »

Just googled it. EBay review say avoid cheap one at £20. So £50 for decent one?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F331907592232

aaronjb

« Reply #35 on: 10 September 2019, 13:00:37 »

Don't forget you'll also need a compressor for a leak-down tester.. have both here if you're ever passing :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 September 2019, 13:05:15 »

Don't forget you'll also need a compressor for a leak-down tester.. have both here if you're ever passing :y

Thanks  :y

Given cost of tools, might very well take you up on that.

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 10 September 2019, 13:18:06 »

No worries - more than welcome any time, whenever I'm here, anyway (which is most of the time!)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 September 2019, 13:38:51 »

No worries - more than welcome any time, whenever I'm here, anyway (which is most of the time!)

Just went to check it now, it's dropped a bit on the morning run. Not normally done that, so appears to be getting worse.

Again no indications where it could be, under the car, hbv area etc. Fact Serek at SOS pressure tested it as well, appears to confirm Nick.W's thoughts on HG  :'(

aaronjb

« Reply #39 on: 10 September 2019, 14:40:10 »

It could be - these cars are getting older and older now and so while HGs were "unknown" on 3.2s 5-6 years ago, you're now talking about a car - and a gasket - that's been in there giving service for 16 years for even the newest 3.2.. sooner or later, as Nick says, those "unknown" failures will start making themselves known, because everything has a finite lifespan :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 September 2019, 15:13:04 »

280+k of abuse and no head gasket issues...

It's as likely a result of neglect as it is mileage ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 September 2019, 19:03:15 »

As a fellow coolant-weeping-V6 owner I can offer my own experiences. I'm still in the middle of doing this myself, mine is/was producing a warm/burning coolant smell - seemed to be toward the scuttle, but no vapour visible. HBV seemed dry, then again sometimes a smell seemed to come form the front of the engine, too. Hoses seemed fine, nothing visible anywhere.

With plenum, fuel rail and sandwich plate off, a bolt jammed in one hose, and a schrader valve in the other, neighbor's bicycle pump attached and the system built upto about 15-17PSI I saw a weep from the coolant bridge. Saddening as this was only done a year or two ago, using brand new dowty washers. Of course what's been happening is it's leaking water - no smell... but only after a while then being burned/boiled off as it sits on the block. It also looks like the auxilliary coolant pump seal has gone, though I can't rule out 100% the hoses to it are past their best too.

I had confirmed she was not leaking anywhere, simple process of elimination. Hoses=ok, HBV=ok, header tank=ok, cap=ok, My only other thought was the old oil cooler, however being under there not too long ago, again, this was discounted. After all, cant be the coolant bridge, as that's good as new!

Silly thought - if we are looking toward HG... could a cold pressure test as I did aid you? I'm wondering if you can build the system up to pressure, and assuming the system is holding pressure, would having the plugs out help? if there's something delicate that could be prodded inside each combustion chamber as a 'dipstick' (plastic tie wrap?) - if that comes away with even a spec of coolant on it, you've proved your HG's gone. Obviously depending the severity of the leak you may be talking hours/even overnight.

It's a rather heath robinson/left-field idea, but you'll end up taking the plenum etc.. off anyway to do the HG, so nothing to lose, really.  :-\
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 September 2019, 20:45:53 »

I took the plugs out today, on drivers bank. As cylinder 5 gave me miss-fire before. Bear in mind these plugs have done less than 1,000 miles....

Pot One, looking nice and clean: (as did pot3)

Pot Five However

It was slightly cleaner on one side.

Is that a hint of red I see?  :-\ (i put red food colour dye in system)
« Last Edit: 10 September 2019, 20:48:53 by tunnie »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 September 2019, 20:46:50 »

As a fellow coolant-weeping-V6 owner I can offer my own experiences. I'm still in the middle of doing this myself, mine is/was producing a warm/burning coolant smell - seemed to be toward the scuttle, but no vapour visible. HBV seemed dry, then again sometimes a smell seemed to come form the front of the engine, too. Hoses seemed fine, nothing visible anywhere.

With plenum, fuel rail and sandwich plate off, a bolt jammed in one hose, and a schrader valve in the other, neighbor's bicycle pump attached and the system built upto about 15-17PSI I saw a weep from the coolant bridge. Saddening as this was only done a year or two ago, using brand new dowty washers. Of course what's been happening is it's leaking water - no smell... but only after a while then being burned/boiled off as it sits on the block. It also looks like the auxilliary coolant pump seal has gone, though I can't rule out 100% the hoses to it are past their best too.

I had confirmed she was not leaking anywhere, simple process of elimination. Hoses=ok, HBV=ok, header tank=ok, cap=ok, My only other thought was the old oil cooler, however being under there not too long ago, again, this was discounted. After all, cant be the coolant bridge, as that's good as new!

Silly thought - if we are looking toward HG... could a cold pressure test as I did aid you? I'm wondering if you can build the system up to pressure, and assuming the system is holding pressure, would having the plugs out help? if there's something delicate that could be prodded inside each combustion chamber as a 'dipstick' (plastic tie wrap?) - if that comes away with even a spec of coolant on it, you've proved your HG's gone. Obviously depending the severity of the leak you may be talking hours/even overnight.

It's a rather heath robinson/left-field idea, but you'll end up taking the plenum etc.. off anyway to do the HG, so nothing to lose, really.  :-\

Might be next stage, but looking at plugs this evening, I don't think that's needed.  :'(

Thanks for input though.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 September 2019, 21:55:55 »

Number five looks unwashed...
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.