Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No speed signal no faults with abs.  (Read 2519 times)

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
No speed signal no faults with abs.
« on: 11 January 2017, 03:10:10 »

Hi, I'm new here, I have an omega 1996 cd 2.0l, I have not had this long, anyway, I noticed that the speedo was not working and the engine managment light came on, i drove home with it like this, in the morning i checked and still no speedo, I took mig to a friends house to see if he could find anything wrong, he thought it might be the abs unit and checked it on an "My Naff Code Reader" thing, and says that there was no problems, he checked the ecu and it was saying no speedo signal, so thought it must be the abs unit. anyway changed the abs unit and still no speedo, he checke the connection on the ecu and found out by looking around that pin 29 is where the signal come into ecu, think it was number 1 pin on the abs plug, but it says 0.10ohms on the meter, is there anything else in line with the to units , on the way home my friend asked me to put all the lights on etc to see if that does anything and speedo came to life, so asked me to pull over and check the battery volts and volts were 11v with all lights and heater etc. anyway as this is getting too long, we have changed the dash still no speedo, even had the battery changed. the speedo will only work with all the lights on etc. I have been reading and it says the the voltage for the speedo is 10 volts but does not say where it's controlled from. please help I need my car running it has an mot in 2 weeks and its draining my money just replacing things. 

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
Re: No speed signal no faults with abs.
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2017, 05:40:20 »

Hello again i've been reading the haynes manual and it say it's blue red wire that goes between the abs signal speed out to the signal speed  into the ecu. but it says x3 on connection 7 does anyone know what connection this is and were. there are two round ones next to the battery is it one of them ? thanks

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2017, 09:03:43 »

To answer your last first, Yes, X3 is one of the round ones next to the battery.

How long have you owned the car?
The new cluster should ideally be from the same engine type...
You did physically check the bulbs on both clusters?
Everything else behaving as it should?
Was the new ABS ecu matching numbers with the old one?

Speedo isn't specifically an MoT requirement, ie there isn't a direct test for it... driving the car into the workshop at an appropriate speed might not make the needle move, similarly the brake test, so you might get lucky ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2017, 10:07:43 »

Ive had omega for 10 months, abs is bosch type says it first type 0 273 004 042  says on info no pairing needed when ordered it, no codes on abs at all only ecu, bulbs are fine they come on when ignition is turned on, if i drive for half a mile the engine light comes on, and goes into limp mode. I've been out with meter on it this morning and now has me even more confused as hayes say its pin 6 to 29 on ecu but its not its 20 and put meter on these pins and bust on beep setting on meter it says 0 and that's with the dash out and then when i take it off abs wires and to earth it say 284. and then checked with battery on but no ecu it says 3v all time, also does anyone know why the wire would go to the sunroof ? as its says in haynes book. the connector thank you i will try them How do you split them cannot seem to get them open ?
I had a cavalier before that had a relay as no abs, had to move on from that as engine went. i just cannot figure out why or when it started as not driven it for few days then i needed to go out before christmas and this happens. so it's been stud, i thought it might be the dash so had another one of them fitted. alternator as battery light glows with lights etc on, Had it checked was giving out 15v so had that changed now it's 14.5v... could all this be from the alternator volts going to high ???     

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2017, 10:09:38 »

Dash was from same year and same engine code. sorry missed that bit out.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2017, 12:00:05 »

Speed signal goes to all sorts of places, including sunroof, radio, self leveling suspension and xenons... ;)

Was new ecu same coding as old? As well as part number there's a two letter code stuck on it... were it and the cluster changed before or after the alternator issue?

If after, then quite possibly as it can fry the ecus... Dying batterries also do odd things electrically, although unlike the alternator, the symptoms tend to cure themselves when battery is replaced.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2017, 12:04:07 »

found the problem the sunroof, took the cover off just to see and its hot. unpluged it and now speedo is working. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2017, 12:06:29 »

New motor needed then... would have thought it would be the last thing to get frazzled, but at least you've found the culprit :y

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2017, 12:29:34 »

The number on the motor says 90 459 138 i cannot find one with same number has date on motor 93. would a new one like 1999 etc work or are they not compatible ?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2017, 12:36:43 »

They should all be the same, but try and get a tail of loom with it just in case the plugs are different  ;)

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2017, 13:28:49 »

ive ordered this sunroof motor 90565382 as it looks the same, has same fitting its off pre facelift. well can put all bits back on now at least can drive around again now. taken motor off and it full of condensation, thanks for your help :) 

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2017, 18:26:56 »

Good find :y
Grumpy old man

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 January 2017, 07:06:04 »

well to update, sunroof working and still have speedo signal and also have some good news passed mot with no advisories so another year on the road. :) :) 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 January 2017, 08:18:51 »

Job jobbed then :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.