Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Octane booster.  (Read 5101 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Octane booster.
« Reply #30 on: 12 October 2018, 10:34:11 »

The highest octane shit over here seems to be 91.  No wonder they only manage about 250bhp from their 6.5l wagons.

Assuming you're in the US then don't forget they measure "octane" differently, they quote AKI while we quote the (higher) RON. Like quoting "peak power" for an amplifier instead of RMS power.

In other words, that 91 would be called 97 in the UK..
Ah, thanks for that, I was unaware.

Our love bus is getting the cheapest, 87 octane, so how does that work out.  Not that it matters, as I think its a 3-4l v6 with less power than the battlebus ;D

Just add 6-7 to the AKI and you're roughly at the RON rating.. so 87 is somewhere around 93-94 RON, probably more ethanol so more resistant to knock than our fuel but slightly less energy per kg, IIRC? I could have that arse backward, though. I just remember that the turbo guys really like high ethanol fuels, so knock resistance must be good.

IIRC I put 87 in the V6 Mustang, too, and it didn't seem to care ;D I mean, it was a rental so clearly the fastest, most indestructable thing on the roads..

Hang on.. I think.. We have a problem...  :o
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 October 2018, 11:05:37 »

The highest octane shit over here seems to be 91.  No wonder they only manage about 250bhp from their 6.5l wagons.

Assuming you're in the US then don't forget they measure "octane" differently, they quote AKI while we quote the (higher) RON. Like quoting "peak power" for an amplifier instead of RMS power.

In other words, that 91 would be called 97 in the UK..
Ah, thanks for that, I was unaware.

Our love bus is getting the cheapest, 87 octane, so how does that work out.  Not that it matters, as I think its a 3-4l v6 with less power than the battlebus ;D

Just add 6-7 to the AKI and you're roughly at the RON rating.. so 87 is somewhere around 93-94 RON, probably more ethanol so more resistant to knock than our fuel but slightly less energy per kg, IIRC? I could have that arse backward, though. I just remember that the turbo guys really like high ethanol fuels, so knock resistance must be good.

IIRC I put 87 in the V6 Mustang, too, and it didn't seem to care ;D I mean, it was a rental so clearly the fastest, most indestructable thing on the roads..

Hang on.. I think.. We have a problem...  :o

Yep....against everything that is right and proper. Much like the 4 pot Omega. ::) ::) :)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 October 2018, 17:22:30 »

Yes it will work however it’s expensive, I’ve used fuchs pro boost at around £16 for a 1 litre tin before I had the Evo mapped for V power, but as said the Tesco 99 is well thought of in the Evo world, and we tend to use more boost than the jag to get big power ( 1.8 bar in my case) as unfortunately we don’t have such a big displacement.
Laying a rubber road.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.