Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust for 2.5 estate  (Read 4707 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust for 2.5 estate
« Reply #30 on: 15 March 2019, 16:50:43 »

I think I should make an appointment then at the opticians :D
However,  my experience of mixing mild steel and stainless exhaust systems (albeit on classic cars), is that due to the differing expansion rates of mild steel and stainless, it isn't always easy to maintain a gas right joint, especially on male/ female sliding joints. A heat resistant red silicon allows for slight movement whilst maintaining a gas tight seal, and it also aids subsequent separation of the joint, whereas an exhaust paste sets rock hard, with no allowance for expansion movement, and is horrible stuff to remove if you need to separate the joint at a later date. Bolted flanges such as the cat to centre section as on the Omega stand a better chance between differet metals, but I would either keep to all stainless or all mild steel.
With the red silicon, there is also no need to overtighten the clamps - nip them up firmly to hold the two sections together, but overtightening only deforms the pipe, and makes later separation difficult. I would also try and source or reuse the original VX style D clamps, rather than use U clamps, as U clamps are more likely to put an indentation in the pipe it is clamping which makes life difficult when separating later.
Whats as gas right joint? ;D

Same as a  'as gas right joint' ;D
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 March 2019, 17:43:12 »

I think I should make an appointment then at the opticians :D
However,  my experience of mixing mild steel and stainless exhaust systems (albeit on classic cars), is that due to the differing expansion rates of mild steel and stainless, it isn't always easy to maintain a gas right joint, especially on male/ female sliding joints. A heat resistant red silicon allows for slight movement whilst maintaining a gas tight seal, and it also aids subsequent separation of the joint, whereas an exhaust paste sets rock hard, with no allowance for expansion movement, and is horrible stuff to remove if you need to separate the joint at a later date. Bolted flanges such as the cat to centre section as on the Omega stand a better chance between differet metals, but I would either keep to all stainless or all mild steel.
With the red silicon, there is also no need to overtighten the clamps - nip them up firmly to hold the two sections together, but overtightening only deforms the pipe, and makes later separation difficult. I would also try and source or reuse the original VX style D clamps, rather than use U clamps, as U clamps are more likely to put an indentation in the pipe it is clamping which makes life difficult when separating later.
Whats as gas right joint? ;D

Same as a  'as gas right joint' ;D
Note to self. Before and when taking the pish, please ensure that spelling is correct.  :-[ ;D ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 March 2019, 18:23:45 »

Are you talking about Terry seeing out 5 years or the car??!!?? ;D
;D
poor choice of words on my part   :-[
I expect Terry will last well beyond the Omega in question  :y he keeps active fixing cars  :D
I'm looking at all mine being still around long after that - with the right care! My oldest car is 51 years old, so what makes you think an Omega won't make it to past 50?!? ::). I might struggle to see it get to 50, but you never know....
I hope my 79k miles 53 plate omega lasts for many years yet, BUT.......
 I've spent a fair bit of time cleaning it's belly ,treating surface rust etc ,galv paint,supertrol etc etc to deter tinworm  :-X

Terry's omegas have done more miles and have not had much rust prevention IIRC (other than the factory piss poor effort of rust proofing  :( )

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 March 2019, 21:21:51 »

Omegas and most other modern cars rust relatively little compared to cars from the early 80,s and older. Anything is repairable if you want to.
Classic car enthusiasts have brought back complete rusty wrecks found in damp fields to as new condition .
Of course omegas will be around to reach 50 years old.
Bread and butter everyday cars from years ago were thought of the same as modern cars now and become the classics of the future.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.