Author Topic: Costco  (Read 4158 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Costco
« on: 29 March 2014, 19:58:36 »

Went to Costco earlier today and noticed they had a pretty decent set of car ramps in with the car stuff.

They had a weight loading of 2 tonnes and were fairly wide, inline with today's tyres .... 230mm - some what wider than my 30 yrs old ramps.

All for £50-odd  :y :y :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Costco
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2014, 21:23:28 »

My ramps are of the same era as yours Andy and the third spar up is bent as a result of the length of 6"x3" timber being used as ramp extensions.  ::)
I should have made extensions like yours but never got around to it.  By comparison to later ramps, mine don't appear that beefy in the angle iron department, but they've been with me for so long that it seems wrong to bin them.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 March 2014, 21:32:52 »

My ramps are of the same era as yours Andy and the third spar up is bent as a result of the length of 6"x3" timber being used as ramp extensions.  ::)
I should have made extensions like yours but never got around to it.  By comparison to later ramps, mine don't appear that beefy in the angle iron department, but they've been with me for so long that it seems wrong to bin them.  ;D

I won't be binning mine  :o :o :o :o mine must be 30-odd yr old now ....... but a new pair might be a nice addition  ;)

I noticed the Costco ramps as I'd eventually decided to treat myself to one of their trolly jacks  ::) ::) ::)

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 29 March 2014, 21:41:26 »

I won't be binning mine  :o :o :o :o mine must be 30-odd yr old now ....... but a new pair might be a nice addition  ;)

I noticed the Costco ramps as I'd eventually decided to treat myself to one of their trolly jacks  ::) ::) ::)

What for? You don't have an omega any more ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 29 March 2014, 21:42:26 »

Is this one of the 1.5ton alloy jacks btw?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2014, 22:04:27 »

It's a 1.8 tonne jack. I'm sure it'll get some use on other cars in the house hold .......I want to remove the Merc rims, one at a time, to give them all a proper clean (and maybe polish  ;))

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 29 March 2014, 22:07:17 »

It's a 1.8 tonne jack. I'm sure it'll get some use on other cars in the house hold .......I want to remove the Merc rims, one at a time, to give them all a proper clean (and maybe polish  ;))

Yeah polish removes welded on brake dust nicely. Cem said. Must be true. ::)

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 March 2014, 22:59:13 »

No, it was wax that removed brake dust. And youtube says so as well. So does Prof. Google. What do you know?  ::)
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2014, 12:05:20 »

Went to Costco earlier today and noticed they had a pretty decent set of car ramps in with the car stuff.

They had a weight loading of 2 tonnes and were fairly wide, inline with today's tyres .... 230mm - some what wider than my 30 yrs old ramps.

All for £50-odd  :y :y :y
Saw them and was tempted.

Jack, looks like I'll have to get the light one, as they haven't stocked the Arcan 3000XL for a year
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2014, 13:04:42 »

Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 March 2014, 13:06:12 »

Compared to spec of my melted one (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arcan-Trolley-3000KG-Professional-Model/dp/B003O65M0K), it seems to lack lift by 5cm (49cm as opposed to 54cm)
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #11 on: 30 March 2014, 13:14:51 »

I don't think I've ever topped out the Arkan, so I guess there's a bit of capacity spare on height.

I'd consider the lighter weight of the alloy one a good advantage, personally. Provided it doesn't dig in the drive and bend if its not man enough...?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 March 2014, 13:22:46 »

I don't think I've ever topped out the Arkan, so I guess there's a bit of capacity spare on height.

I'd consider the lighter weight of the alloy one a good advantage, personally. Provided it doesn't dig in the drive and bend if its not man enough...?
My concern is the top bit of lifting capacity is often hard to use anyway, so you rarely would. So that extra 5cm may mean the 1.8T jack is in that "awkward" bit of height where the jack has to drag itself right under.

Out of interest, where did you get your scissor jack from? I may get 1 (or 2) identical if cheap enough
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 30 March 2014, 13:37:36 »

My concern is the top bit of lifting capacity is often hard to use anyway, so you rarely would. So that extra 5cm may mean the 1.8T jack is in that "awkward" bit of height where the jack has to drag itself right under.

Out of interest, where did you get your scissor jack from? I may get 1 (or 2) identical if cheap enough

A tenant left it behind.

If searching one, go big. Provided it fits under the car. As mine lacks a bit of height.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 March 2014, 13:41:45 »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.