Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project MV6 - MOT result (Mr Rog's old car)  (Read 13302 times)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Project MV6 - MOT result (Mr Rog's old car)
« Reply #75 on: 28 April 2018, 09:27:11 »

So today after the absolute result in the MOT test....

I decided to look at why, for a 3.2, to use TheBoy's expression, it felt as flat as a witches tit. I also thought I'd look at where the oil leak was coming from at the front of the engine.

I could see the oil pressure switch has been done in the not too distant past, probably to try and cure the leak onto the top of the sump at the front. Having cleaned off the oil and it coming back I knew it wasn't that.

I therefore suspected the front crankshaft oil seal. In light of the multirams working well etc, I also suspected the Vauxhall dealer had murdered the cambelt installation, resulting in the flat performance.

So, off with the plenum, bagpipes, inlets stuff blah blah blah.

Upon checking the valve timing, on the cambelt setup, it was WELL over a tooth out on all cams. It's no problem for me, but if I'd paid Vauxhall the amount they had been paid, and this was the result, I would have been absolutely fuming:

So this was with the crank locked at TDC - this is over a tooth out!

The above was the same across all 4 cams, so I won't post all 4 pictures, you get the idea.

Vauxhall want SHOOTING!!

They have also vastly over tensioned the belt. It's done 15k only, yet grease EVERYWHERE through probably excess pulley wear due to incorrect fitment. A brand new cambelt kit will be going back on, I don't trust this one.

Anyhow, here we are with the entire cambelt kit off:

And, as you can see, the oil is clearly coming from the crank seal, now the sprocket is removed:

And here is the offending item:

And here you see the oil leak before it was taken apart (you can see it on top of the upper sump)

So tomorrow, I pick up new crank seal etc etc from dealers. As and when I feel up to it, I'll put it all back together and she should now be oil tight!

Goes without saying, full service and extensive breather clean will occur at the same time.....
Sorry for the resurrection of a dusty old thread....
I need to fix this oil leak again.
When I first started driving the Project MV6 there was just a hint of oil loss from the front of the engine but over the last few weeks it has turned into a flood :(
Rereading James's description of what was done I am wondering whether a smear of sealant is required to prevent oil sneaking out between the spacer and the crank. :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 28 April 2018, 10:33:21 »

Oil pressure switch :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 30 April 2018, 08:33:23 »

Oil pressure switch :y
The oil is being flung out from behind the bottom pulley. I  haven't discounted the pressure switch completely but I don't think it is the source :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 30 April 2018, 13:09:58 »

Possible that the seal seat was damaged on removal... had this happen to me on one of my plods rear crank seal... never did seal right even after a second seal was fitted to it having deburred the damaged area... the screw I used to remove the seal obviously hadn't gone in straight and just nicked the face as I pulled the seal. :'(
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.