Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xenon headlights dipped beam too high - any ideas?  (Read 2747 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Xenon headlights dipped beam too high - any ideas?
« on: 23 March 2015, 00:46:05 »

On my 2003 3.2 Elite estate, the dipped beam is far too high. I keep getting flashed at, and I have also parked up on a straight section of road at night, and checked the dipped beam from an approaching vehicles point of view and they are dazzling.
I have changed the front level sensor on the f/n/s wishbone, which made no difference at all. I am not getting any messages on the display.
Whether it's just coincidence, this problem has only started since the gearbox was removed, overhauled and replaced, hence the reason I changed the front level sensor thinking that it may have been knocked or damaged during the gearbox removal.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I can't used the vehicle when it's dark!!!
Thanks.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
Re: Xenon headlights dipped beam too high - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2015, 00:51:27 »

Do you still have the self levelling rear suspenion, and is it working correctly?  Get a couple of large fmily members to sit on the rear bumper an start the engine....... does the ass-end of the car lift?
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2015, 05:21:49 »

As said, what is the rear ride height ? Should be 675mm all round, from the floor to the wheel arch when measured over the wheel centre.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2015, 07:52:46 »

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as I can't used the vehicle when it's dark!!!
Thanks.

Assuming the ride height is correct front & back, then adjust the beam  ::)

« Last Edit: 23 March 2015, 07:54:30 by Andy B »

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2015, 07:58:03 »

Don't forget to check the rear sensor... Completely independent of the self levelling, so should still level the beam regardless of what the self levelling shocks are doing (or not)...

Rear headlight level sensor is on the nearside trailing arm and is identical to the front one.

Self levelling suspension sensor/ecu is attached to the offside trailing arm next to the diff.

:y

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2015, 20:23:36 »

Thanks for all the info. I fitted a used rear sensor today, swapping the linkage and knuckle joints as well so all was moving freely. On first impressions, the level does seem better, and parked on a level road as I did previously, they didn't seem as dazzling, although the beam is possibly still slightly high.  The ride height is correct too - as near as damn it 675mm front and back. Going to get the beam checked as soon as possible at my MOT place. Assuming the s/l suspension is working correctly (which I believe it is) I take it the beam should be correct then irrespective of whether the car is laden or unladen? And adjusting the beam (if necessary) to the correct height should render it correct whatever load is put in the car? (if that makes sense?)
Thanks.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2015, 20:52:54 »

Correct.

I'd expect there to be a "head light field of vision" fault on the dash display if the headlights wher not levelling correctly, although they default to the lowest adjustment in that case. The fact they are high might mean the lights where adjusted to normal height via the adjusters before the field of vision fault was fixed at some point.... Or, one of the sensors has (had) seized giving the levelling system a false reading.

There is a self levelling test procedure in the guides section. This is a completely seperate system to the light levelling system, but, it's an easy way to test the lights as the rear goes up and down.

If the car is parked 1ft away from a garage door for example, mark the height
of the beams \___ \___ on the door. Back up 6ft away. Then set the lights an inch below the original mark. That should be correct for height.

Then test the self levelling, as the guide, and see if the beam stays in the correctly set position. Which they should. If you listen to the lights as the car drops, levelling pump off, the light motors should be audible in small steps. :)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2015, 20:55:48 »

Ps, try to keep the engine running as the car rises, to avoid killing the battery. Then engine off, as the suspension drops, for audible light motors, hopefully.

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2015, 15:16:48 »

Correct.

I'd expect there to be a "head light field of vision" fault on the dash display if the headlights wher not levelling correctly, although they default to the lowest adjustment in that case. The fact they are high might mean the lights where adjusted to normal height via the adjusters before the field of vision fault was fixed at some point.... Or, one of the sensors has (had) seized giving the levelling system a false reading.

I think mine said something like "Headlight range out of adjustment" when the little arm fell of the sensor.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2015, 22:56:14 »

I've not had any 'Headlight Range' messages displayed which sort of puzzled me because they were exceptionally high. Better now the level sensors have been changed with the linkages but still not 100% right. Going in next week to have the aim checked and adjusted by my MOT chap......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.