Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: xenon facelift lights wireing  (Read 1261 times)

BIG OKI

• http://www.flickr.com/groups/1192940@N21/
    • View Profile
xenon facelift lights wireing
« on: 03 August 2009, 21:20:08 »

hi can anyone help me with is problem. i have a facelift omega with projector lights and i got a set of projector lights but they look like xenon projector headlight they fit but there is some wiring missing. can anyone help me.
the new lights cost me a lot of money and i would like to use them so if there is a way of using them or the way to wire them up?
the indicators , sidelights work but the main and high dont work.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2009, 21:28:10 by big-oki »

Welung666

Re: zenon facelift lights wireing
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2009, 21:25:08 »

Have either of the sets of lights got a kind of metal box screwed to the underside? If the new set does then they are the HID (or xenon's as people oddly call them as Xenon is a type of gas!) and you'll need the chunk of loom to connect them in. HTH :y

BIG OKI

• View Profile
Re: xenon facelift lights wireing
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2009, 21:27:38 »

yes they have the box at the bottom of the lights

Welung666

« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2009, 21:32:19 »

Have a look in the parts for sale section, there are a few regular breakers that post in there, a few PM's to a couple of them may just bear fruit and get you the loom section you'll need to wire them in ;) :y

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: zenon facelift lights wireing
« Reply #4 on: 03 August 2009, 21:59:40 »

Have either of the sets of lights got a kind of metal box screwed to the underside? If the new set does then they are the HID (or xenon's as people oddly call them as Xenon is a type of gas!) and you'll need the chunk of loom to connect them in. HTH :y

They are called Xenon's because the bulbs contain xenon gas. Xenon is a noble gas (on the right hand side of the periodic table), it has a full shell of electrons so is one of the safest gases possible, it's inert. But when an electric current is introduced to the gas it lights up in a bluey white fashion. So that's why Xenon headlights look that way and why bulbs are expensive. Xenon is in the same group as Neon, as that lights up in a similiar way when a current is introduced.

BIG OKI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 August 2009, 22:15:42 »

Have a look in the parts for sale section, there are a few regular breakers that post in there, a few PM's to a couple of them may just bear fruit and get you the loom section you'll need to wire them in ;) :y

so it looks like i have hid lights.  thanks for the info.
just need to find out how to get them to work

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 August 2009, 22:23:04 »

If you are going to install them, you'll also need the headlight washers, and sensors on parts of the rear suspension, and a new interior switch for the lights. All of these things need to be done, there are regualtions for vehicles with xenon headlights fitted at the factory. These need to be done if you're fitting them, and if not it could fail the MOT.

BIG OKI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 August 2009, 22:27:10 »

If you are going to install them, you'll also need the headlight washers, and sensors on parts of the rear suspension, and a new interior switch for the lights. All of these things need to be done, there are regualtions for vehicles with xenon headlights fitted at the factory. These need to be done if you're fitting them, and if not it could fail the MOT.
thanks for the info. i will have a look into this. but still need the wiring info before i go ahead and change anything. and sorce the other parts you listed too.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 August 2009, 22:27:18 »

Unlikely to be MOT failure, but still illegal :)
Grumpy old man

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 August 2009, 22:30:00 »

I thought it would fail the MOT, as Xenon equipped vehicles need to have headlight washers. If they don't, then they could fail. Mine has Xenon's from the factory, and I was told that if one of my washers was missing mine would fail. Luckily they are both there.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2009, 20:33:33 »

I thought it would fail the MOT, as Xenon equipped vehicles need to have headlight washers. If they don't, then they could fail. Mine has Xenon's from the factory, and I was told that if one of my washers was missing mine would fail. Luckily they are both there.
Headlight washers are not part of MOT, nor is any system levelling (beyond suspension faults)
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2009, 23:31:25 »

Headlight washers are not part of MOT, nor is any system levelling (beyond suspension faults)

Not strictly true, as if your lights are not pointing in the right direction when they test them, and the levelling is not functioning correctly to prevent other drivers being blinded, the grey area of the MOT test may just get investigated a little more, and it may soon be discovered that they may in fact be functioning illegally. There is very strict documentation and rules regarding these lights, and functioning washers is also mandatory under the vehicle construction & useage regulations.

Can`t speak for other areas of the country, but down here in the South West, the MOT guys are exceptionally hot on this subject due to the amount of auction site projector kits and bulbs being sold and fitted incorrectly.

If it isn`t part of the MOT yet (?), then it soon will be.
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 August 2009, 09:01:13 »

Not strictly true, as if your lights are not pointing in the right direction when they test them, and the levelling is not functioning correctly to prevent other drivers being blinded, the grey area of the MOT test may just get investigated a little more, and it may soon be discovered that they may in fact be functioning illegally. There is very strict documentation and rules regarding these lights, and functioning washers is also mandatory under the vehicle construction & useage regulations.

Can`t speak for other areas of the country, but down here in the South West, the MOT guys are exceptionally hot on this subject due to the amount of auction site projector kits and bulbs being sold and fitted incorrectly.

If it isn`t part of the MOT yet (?), then it soon will be.
The current MOT handbook doesn't cover any more than the static beam pattern at the moment.

I did have a chat with DfT about HID conversions about a year ago, and they were trying to have a massive clampdown on aftermarket HID kits (particularly, it would seem, the ones where you stick HID bulbs and ballast on your existing headlights). And rightly so imho, as HIDs are nasty little buggers when not correctly aimed through clean lenses.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.