Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the problem my EGR Valve? or something else?  (Read 5042 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Is the problem my EGR Valve? or something else?
« Reply #15 on: 01 July 2020, 18:53:48 »

P0400 is generic for a vacuum issue, been there, chased it everywhere when I had a DTi!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 July 2020, 20:44:12 »

completely different engine but ..... my 1700 diseasal Astra used to throw up an EGR fault code (far too long ago now to remember what it was) and the fault was actually the MAF  ???

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2020, 01:14:55 »

VXL V6: Thank you so much for explaining to me how to remover the EGR and clean it up. Much easier now with your explanation.
Just a quickie question: You say the flaps may be damaged. So if I take out the EGR to clean it and then find the flaps damaged, can I put it back in while I order and wait for the replacement to arrive (as I don't have another car)? And if the Vectra B 2.0 DTi is same'ish as my engine? then can I find a book or download of my Vectra B 2.0 DTi (or my engine) with explanations on how to fix (like a workshop Haynes book)? I have looked but cannot find.
As I have a PO400 code that means I have a vacuum issue - so that is the EGR yes? So could that just be a withered seal on the EGR maybe? Sorry if it is a daft question :)
Thank you so much for your kind help.
Broomies Mate: Thank you for your reply. Sadly the breakdown services do not work as they do in the UK. Breakdown in the UK is wonderful compared to here in France which is next to useless. All breakdown do here, apart from helping with a flat tyre, lack of fuel or other very simple issues like that, all they will do is arrive, suck air in through teeth and then tow the vehicle to the nearest garage. Not even to your home even if desperately requested. They just don't try to fix on the side of the road like they do in the UK.  So no good turning to breakdown for help. Breakdown in the UK is fantastic compared to France.....
Andy B: Thank you for posting.  Please may I ask (and please don't laugh at me :) ) but what is MAF?
Thank you so much for your kind help.
Thank you everyone! What a great Forun and soooo much better than any mechanics I found here in SW France.who really don't seem to know my engine or car. I am sure that is not true for all of them but sadly it is for the ones I have found.
I am so grateful for all the help I receive on this.
Once I have sorted this I will definitely post a report on what happened, how fixed etc....as this may be useful for anyone else in the future.  I also hope all this advice you kind people are offering me will be useful to read for others with same problems.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 July 2020, 01:39:45 »

helpful video clicky

subtitles in English  :y

shows the EGR and swirl flaps to give you an idea of what you are dealing with  :)

you can get an EGR blank and emulator which is a very common way of dealing with EGR problems once and for all  ;D
(there are a few types ,dependent on which EGR is fitted though, so you need to know what type you have)

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 July 2020, 11:50:27 »

dave the builder: Thank you! for your video link and advice. Please may I ask.... the letters MAF have been used in a response to me.  Do you know (or anyone) what MAF is please? Many thanks!!

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 July 2020, 12:05:30 »

Mass Air Flow sensor. It meters the amount of air going into the engine.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 July 2020, 14:30:06 »

If I remember correctly, the MAF has the ambient air temp sensor combined on these engines
inspecting and if dirty ,cleaning the MAF (isopropyl alcohol ) while you have things apart may be wise
again,plenty of youtube videos on this  :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2020, 11:51:39 »

VXL V6: Thank you so much for explaining to me how to remover the EGR and clean it up. Much easier now with your explanation.
No Problem  :)

Just a quickie question: You say the flaps may be damaged. So if I take out the EGR to clean it and then find the flaps damaged, can I put it back in while I order and wait for the replacement to arrive (as I don't have another car)?
Sorry bad description from me, the EGR on this engine is a simple vacuum driven device, basically a valve is either in an open or closed position depending on vacuum. All you can really do is clean the valve so it moves smoothly, the Swirl flaps are fitted on the inlet manifold which is the metal piece that the EGR bolts onto. Cleaning the inlet manifold is a bit of of an involved process which requires removal from the engine and lots of paint stripper / carb cleaner and plenty of time so best left alone for now.

And if the Vectra B 2.0 DTi is same'ish as my engine? then can I find a book or download of my Vectra B 2.0 DTi (or my engine) with explanations on how to fix (like a workshop Haynes book)? I have looked but cannot find.
I have a Haynes Vectra B manual here somewhere i'll have a look and see what it covers on the engine. A lot of more helpful information on this engine is generally found on the Internet

As I have a PO400 code that means I have a vacuum issue - so that is the EGR yes? So could that just be a withered seal on the EGR maybe? Sorry if it is a daft question :)
To be honest the EGR is so simple that a simple clean up will resolve any sticking issues most of the time. P0400 is a standard code for vacuum leaks on these, that could be anywhere on the whole vacuum system. Other common failure points for the vacuum system on these engines is the rubber 90 degree joints, especially the one that goes into the vacuum pump on the very back of the engine.

1 & 2 the type of rubber 90 degree joints that fail, this is the location at the rear of the engine that the vacuum pipes connect to the vacuum pump.

Vacuum layout

Suggest before you start checking the rubber vacuum joints you buy 1x 19 and multiple x 18 as you will need to replace them on close inspection.

Andy B: Thank you for posting.  Please may I ask (and please don't laugh at me :) ) but what is MAF?
The MAF on these gets contaminated with oil easily, if it has this issue you will see oil on the alternator which sits directly below it. removing the MAF is simple (two clips) and worth giving a clean but be very careful what products you use, also give the air duct to the turbo and the smaller pipe back to the head a good clean. NB. MAF will not give P0400 codes

EDIT: Just to add, it is work removing the boost pressure sensor and cleaning it as well - Part 10 on the diagram, on the rearmost end of the inlet manifold
« Last Edit: 04 July 2020, 12:00:30 by VXL V6 »

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 July 2020, 08:44:42 »

as being an owner of two 2.2dti,s in the past, and experiencing the same problems i would recommend a remap & a total delete of the egr .the dti,s i owned were both done & that put an end to the problems that you are experiencing. i did thoroughly clean the intake manifold but still it had the same problem. remap + egr & blank is the answer.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.