Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: “The cameras are not there to generate money,”  (Read 4124 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: “The cameras are not there to generate money,”
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2018, 20:16:04 »

In a word Ron, NO!

Presently the police have discretion when catching a driver going just over the limit, and certainly if the traffic is light and you are driving safely in a legal car you can travel at up to 80 mph without penalty. But this new approach takes all that away and even if the motorway is virtually empty at 0230 in the morning, with excellent visibility and a limited risk to anyone else you are going to be penalised without any commen sense brought to the decision by a human being. Our motorways are known to be the safest roads, so why this targeting of motorways?

This is a money making scheme >:(

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2018, 20:26:48 »

Yep, and they have the moral high ground on this, because if we challenge this and accuse them of revenue collection, they will play the "safety" card and call us dangerous speed merchants, regardless of circumstances.
70mph is merely an arbitrary line drawn for no sound reason. How come 70mph is "safe", yet 71mph is evil?
I hope my cruise control is accurate!

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2018, 20:35:26 »

My bus lane fine from Bradford was issued at 22:01. The place was dark and deserted, not even sure the buses were still running on that route.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2018, 20:38:40 »

That was bang out of order, STEMO.
So now we have to carry chronometers as well as have certified accurate speedometers too?  >:(

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 February 2018, 20:54:52 »

When the[temparory]70mph limit was introduced back in the mid '60s[a couple of years later it became permanent]most family cars would struggle to get much past it and fewer still would hit three figure speeds.Given that even modern car speedometers are not totally accurate[nor so I've heard are sat navs]the cameras make for easy income without the expense of police officers/their vehicles.If they were that interested in safety they'd bring back more officers to pull the drunk drivers/phone users/all other such things that cameras don't pick up on,after all you can be as rat faced as you like but as long as you don't stray 1mph above the limit that's ok as the cameras will say you're driving like a good citizen and not causing accidents with your reckless speed.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2018, 20:59:33 »

If anything over 70mph (even my just 1mph) were dangerous in the extreme and worthy of being fined, how come there isn't daily carnage on German Autobahns?

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2018, 21:06:58 »

Not disagreeing with you Ron.I can't comment on the German aspect as I've never been let alone driven there.Speed as such does not kill[otherwise why are all the astronauts or even fast jet pilots dead?]it's the inappropriate use of speed which does the damage,sadly the driving standards in this country appear to be deteriorating at a frightening rate.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2018, 21:12:06 »

Ah yes, driving standards. If we all drove as well as you and I there would be no problem, but there are always the BMW/Audi drivers.....
From what I hear about driving in Germany, their lane discipline is exemplary, unlike ours, which may well be why they are allowed to get on with it, free from nannying, on their mororways?

Ron.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2018, 22:16:33 »

The daily cull on our roads is  sadly averaging 5 ppl daily  :(
Not surprising really that urban speed limits need to be tightened up.
I really think more needs to be done about the hoons & their driving antics >:(

The National Police Chiefs Council (NPCC) on road policing, has called on police forces to scrap the 10% buffer currently in place. So 1 mph over the limit means your breaking the law.
THe NPCC see themselves as law enforcers & not educators.
I suppose the camera is just another tool to help the enforcers  ::)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2018, 22:26:06 »

Yes, I readf that NPCC news item. Just how is safety helped when we all have to watch our speedometers much more than the roads?
I would rather ignore arbitrary speed limits and concentrate on road conditions and hazards - does that make me a bad person?

Ron.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2018, 22:38:09 »

If anything over 70mph (even my just 1mph) were dangerous in the extreme and worthy of being fined, how come there isn't daily carnage on German Autobahns?

Ron.

Actually, sometimes there is. I've driven a lot in Germany, and quite frankly when you're doing 130+ mph and there's someone tailgating flashing their lights, it's bloody terrifying. Well for me it is. A pile up in Germany is VERY serious, and it does happen. The only reason Germany still has roads with no speed limit is pressure fromn the German car industry, if there were speed limits what would be the point of high end (expensive & profitable) BMWs etc ? 

I blame the Germans for a lot of the carnage on our roads. BMW actually promoted aggressive driving at one stage in the 80s with "TURBO" written backwards on a front spoiler. And look at the " I'm a clever smartass" advertising over the last few decades (not just BMW). If you drive a BMW the responsiveness and power encourages bad aggressive driving. And . . . it sells cars. A humble somethingorother with 90BHP or whatever gets you from  A to B, why more ?

Dull ? Yes of course. But transport is just that. It used to take me 8 hours to drive from Wales to London. I can now do it in less than 4 hours. So what ?
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2018, 22:40:24 »

Far from a bad person Ron. it proves that you have more common sense than the knobs that run the asylum.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2018, 23:08:09 »

Ron.

Actually, sometimes there is. I've driven a lot in Germany, and quite frankly when you're doing 130+ mph and there's someone tailgating flashing their lights, it's bloody terrifying.

Yes driving a HGV on a unrestricted Autobahn can be bloody hairy!  :o

Many of the Autobahns are dual carriageway and if you pull out to overtake, that little speck in your mirror rapidly becomes a BMW or Merc flying up behind you at stupid speeds! :o 

They always seemed very friendly to me though and flashed their lights, beeped and waved when eventually I was able to pull in and let them go by! Maybe they were pleased about the fuel they saved by having to slow down to 56mph for a while?  :-\  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 February 2018, 00:41:12 »

That might explain the introduction of the overtaking ban for hgvs from 06-1800...  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.