Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: ^*&%$#@ tax returns  (Read 1704 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: ^*&%$#@ tax returns
« Reply #15 on: 20 January 2008, 22:39:27 »

what triggers tax returns?

I have never filled in one, my dad used to but does not any more....
Anything other than PAYE employment and a bank account apparently. In the US you have to do a return no matter what.

yaYY i am PAYE  :)

Do you get any perks'? Private medical? Lunch allowance? Travel allowance? Clothing allowance?

Any of these may trigger them sending you a tax return.  :'(

They sent me one for three years, which I never filled in (Before self assessment).

In the end I phoned them up and asked them why they kept sending them as I was PAYE, didn't own any shares and didn't have any investments. They told me to write that on the return forms and return them. I did this, sent all three back in the same envelope and I never heard from them again.  :-/

It seems quite arbitrary to whom they will send a tax return to.   :(

I get Bupa...

Been on a course, hope to go one more.

I put about £300 a month of expenses on each month, but this is mostly PAYG phone credit and new phones when we need them.

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 January 2008, 23:12:48 »

what triggers tax returns?

I have never filled in one, my dad used to but does not any more....
Anything other than PAYE employment and a bank account apparently. In the US you have to do a return no matter what.

yaYY i am PAYE  :)

Do you get any perks'? Private medical? Lunch allowance? Travel allowance? Clothing allowance?

Any of these may trigger them sending you a tax return.  :'(

They sent me one for three years, which I never filled in (Before self assessment).

In the end I phoned them up and asked them why they kept sending them as I was PAYE, didn't own any shares and didn't have any investments. They told me to write that on the return forms and return them. I did this, sent all three back in the same envelope and I never heard from them again.  :-/

It seems quite arbitrary to whom they will send a tax return to.   :(

I get Bupa...

Been on a course, hope to go one more.

I put about £300 a month of expenses on each month, but this is mostly PAYG phone credit and new phones when we need them.

In which case you will get a P11d in April. This will list your 'Benefits In Kind' and you will have a tax liability for this. Depending on your other expenses, you may 'come up on the radar'.

I don't believe that mobile phones are taxable any longer; they used to be. If you claim a mileage allowance, this should be included in the P11d.

Out of pocket expenses are fine, as they are just that, but a lunch allowance is, I believe, taxable at your highest level of tax.

Bloody minefield mate. My wife works for an accountant and fills these things in day in day out. She's quite busy at the moment.  :)
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 January 2008, 23:32:51 »

......or earn into the top tax band.

This used to apply to me when I helped make cough sweets! I could never understand why I'd to fill the bugger in when I was PAYE though, even the local tax office talked themselves into a hole trying to justify themselves. When Cadbury took over & my tax office moved to Brum they said I no longer needed to fill 1 in. Presumably it depends how your tax office interprets the rules. :-/
Putting beanz in tinz doesn't pay well enough (contrary to local belief  ;)) to worry aboout 40% tax
« Last Edit: 20 January 2008, 23:34:39 by Andy_B »

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 January 2008, 08:50:33 »

US one or UK one.....I have seen the US ones and they are like war and peace......Uk ones are dead easy in comparison!
US ones range from dead simple to stacks of paper. UK seems to be similar, except not familiar with all the terms and classifications so struggling with which 'extra pages' I need.

try this.....

www.taxcalc.co.uk

i use it for my self assessment, it asks simple questions, turns it into the required answers, puts it in the right place and then allows you to print it all out as a filled in self assment format.

cost is £4.99

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21 January 2008, 09:55:58 »

......or earn into the top tax band.

This used to apply to me when I helped make cough sweets! I could never understand why I'd to fill the bugger in when I was PAYE though, even the local tax office talked themselves into a hole trying to justify themselves. When Cadbury took over & my tax office moved to Brum they said I no longer needed to fill 1 in. Presumably it depends how your tax office interprets the rules. :-/
Putting beanz in tinz doesn't pay well enough (contrary to local belief  ;)) to worry aboout 40% tax

The problem is, everything else that's taxed automatically is done at the basic rate, so although your salary will have been taxed correctly through PAYE, your bank / building society interest, any share dividends, etc. etc. wouldn't. In most cases the difference is pennies, of course, and they work this out after a few tax returns and adjust your tax code to compensate.

I pay someone to do mine as I can't be bothered

Quite often someone experienced will find plenty of ways to save you money too, so the overall cost of employing someone to do it may be negative. For example, do business miles in a 3.2 Omega and you can claim a tax rebate on much more than the the paltry amount of mileage allowance your company will give you.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.