Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: £100 for 34 minutes worth of parking?  (Read 3262 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
£100 for 34 minutes worth of parking?
« on: 11 January 2012, 19:57:21 »

Evening people,

A good friend of my youngest sons was parked in McDonald's for 124 minutes, there is a limit of 90 minutes in the car park. However he has received a parking ticket for a price of £100! Now I'm not being funny the boy is a hard working so and so, and I don't like the way they're trying to take £100 off of him. Is there anyway I could get this thrown out, or at the very least reduced? I also would like to add, he genuinely did not know about the time limit in the car park, there are boards up, tied to the lamp posts, however as it was dark these aren't very visible at all. Now fair enough he was in there 34 minutes longer than the allocated time, but all of the spaces around him were empty. Any ideas?
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
Re: £100 for 34 minutes worth of parking?
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2012, 20:08:24 »

how do they know he was in there all that time he may have been there went away and then came back sure the idiot that issued the ticket was not there the whole time

or could you argue that he may have broken down but thought as the car park was empty it would not be a problem leaving a not on the window that must have been removed or blew away

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2012, 20:10:29 »

Plenty of info available on the net for such things, without resorting to bar room gossip or 'if it was me' type misinformation that you are likely to get on here, to be honest.

If he really feels aggrieved, consult a solicitor.    :y

albitz

« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2012, 20:10:43 »

Tell him to ignore all correspondence if its one of those private parking companies (which is what it sounds like) they are completely unenforceable.They try to pressurise people into paying and sometimes it works. ;)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2012, 20:12:03 »

how do they know he was in there all that time he may have been there went away and then came back sure the idiot that issued the ticket was not there the whole time

or could you argue that he may have broken down but thought as the car park was empty it would not be a problem leaving a not on the window that must have been removed or blew away

He seems to remember the night in question, he said he was in the car with a woman talking, he's on Camera one coming in and one coming out apparently  :-\.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2012, 20:14:15 »

[

most of the mc dees are done on cctv with ANPR... :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2012, 20:15:08 »

Tell him to ignore all correspondence if its one of those private parking companies (which is what it sounds like) they are completely unenforceable.They try to pressurise people into paying and sometimes it works. ;)

That's excellent, thanks for that Albs  :y :y

Nickbat

« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2012, 20:16:58 »

Read this:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3430457  :y :y

Any idea what parking company is involved? If so, please post.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2012, 20:18:11 »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2012, 20:19:30 »

MET Parking Services LTD.

Thanks for the link Nick  :y :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2012, 20:19:36 »

Guessing he wasn't in McDonalds for 2hrs.  I'm a fat bastard, and even I couldn't do that.

So, from the owners point of view, who is probably on a pittence himself, its private land he/she provides purely for customers to use whilst in the place, and has every right, IMHO, to penalise those who use it to save paying parking elsewhere.  Nobody can say 90m isn't enough time.

Rumour is its probably unenforcible, but you need to seek proper legal advice to confirm, rather than listen to what member's mate's dog's brother's auntie's sister overhead in the pub.
Grumpy old man

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2012, 20:24:53 »

Guessing he wasn't in McDonalds for 2hrs.  I'm a fat bastard, and even I couldn't do that.

So, from the owners point of view, who is probably on a pittence himself, its private land he/she provides purely for customers to use whilst in the place, and has every right, IMHO, to penalise those who use it to save paying parking elsewhere.  Nobody can say 90m isn't enough time.

Rumour is its probably unenforcible, but you need to seek proper legal advice to confirm, rather than listen to what member's mate's dog's brother's auntie's sister overhead in the pub.

He was sat in the car eating his food, also I'd like to point out he went through the Drive-thru four times for various bits. He could've parked outside McDonald's which is situated around various car dealerships and not had to pay to park on the road, however he simply just stayed in McDonalds, as he went through the Drive-thru a few times and was sitting there talking. No harm done to anyone, and certainly not worth £100 in my opinion.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2012, 20:26:03 »

He was sat in the car eating his food, also I'd like to point out he went through the Drive-thru four times for various bits. He could've parked outside McDonald's which is situated around various car dealerships and not had to pay to park on the road, however he simply just stayed in McDonalds, as he went through the Drive-thru a few times and was sitting there talking. No harm done to anyone, and certainly not worth £100 in my opinion.
Thats what solicitors are for then....   :y

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2012, 20:27:26 »

Plenty of info available on the net for such things, without resorting to bar room gossip or 'if it was me' type misinformation that you are likely to get on here, to be honest.

Current rate is £220 per hour!

Nickbat

« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2012, 20:28:52 »

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3655153

Someone else got caught in a McDonalds car park by MET...

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2012, 20:29:11 »

i am not saying another word as my mates dog has just been on the phone asking me to go for a pint with his uncle and his sister :D :D good luck with it Del :y

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2012, 20:30:27 »

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?
I believe these people are very good at advising motorists in a similar situation
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2012, 20:33:27 »

Current rate is £220 per hour!
so pay the fine then!   ;D

Or, move to Scotland.  No wheelclamps up here.....   ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2012, 20:35:01 »

I see where you are coming from, but the franchisee can rightly expect customers to be gone well within 90m in a fast food burger joint.  He is not there to facilitate meet-ups and burnouts.  Not that I use them much, but there is rarely any spare available parking spaces around the local ones near me, because it seems to be a meeting place for groups of kids.  In such a sceanrio, the owner should have the right to protect his business.  The parking enforcers have to recoup the money for there expensive equipment, and make a profit
Grumpy old man

Nickbat

« Reply #19 on: 11 January 2012, 20:36:14 »

Though I am not giving legal advice here, one comment I have read time and time again is along the following lines (copied from a moneysavingexpert.com board):

Your friends are dead right, they don't do court and you know why? Because it is an unenforceable invoice. You've told us the signs are up so it's contract law, so they can sue you for damages, which from your post I calculate to be absolutely nothing. Penalties are not allowed in contract law, so they do not have a leg to stand on.

These companies do not have the power to issue fines. Only parking wardens and the police have that power. :y
« Last Edit: 11 January 2012, 20:37:50 by Nickbat »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 January 2012, 20:41:29 »

And the Company in question, Nick thanks very much for the help mate, and everyone else who commented with advice  :y:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3638185

TB I totally understand what you're saying, and agree to an extent, however, when the picture shows other empty spaces, I find it a bit pathetic.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 January 2012, 20:58:11 »

I see where you are coming from, but the franchisee can rightly expect customers to be gone well within 90m in a fast food burger joint.  He is not there to facilitate meet-ups and burnouts.  Not that I use them much, but there is rarely any spare available parking spaces around the local ones near me, because it seems to be a meeting place for groups of kids.  In such a sceanrio, the owner should have the right to protect his business.  The parking enforcers have to recoup the money for there expensive equipment, and make a profit
Sod it, that was incomplete - battery went flat, opps!

The jist of the 2nd half was try to understand why the owner has such a system to protect his business, and hopefully realise that because it may not necessarily be enforcible, be a lesson not to repeat ;)
Grumpy old man

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 January 2012, 20:59:51 »

Sod it, that was incomplete - battery went flat, opps!

The jist of the 2nd half was try to understand why the owner has such a system to protect his business, and hopefully realise that because it may not necessarily be enforcible, be a lesson not to repeat ;)

Oh he won't do it again that's for sure, his mum went mental apparently  ;D ;D

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 January 2012, 21:51:38 »

i got one of these a year or two ago.
I found the same advice on the net, so ignored it and have heard nothing since.

As has been said - they are unenforceable.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 January 2012, 22:27:42 »

i got one of these a year or two ago.
I found the same advice on the net, so ignored it and have heard nothing since.

As has been said - they are unenforceable.

:y :y

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 January 2012, 22:33:18 »

Evening people,

A good friend of my youngest sons was parked in McDonald's for 124 minutes, there is a limit of 90 minutes in the car park. However he has received a parking ticket for a price of £100! Now I'm not being funny the boy is a hard working so and so, and I don't like the way they're trying to take £100 off of him. Is there anyway I could get this thrown out, or at the very least reduced? I also would like to add, he genuinely did not know about the time limit in the car park, there are boards up, tied to the lamp posts, however as it was dark these aren't very visible at all. Now fair enough he was in there 34 minutes longer than the allocated time, but all of the spaces around him were empty. Any ideas?

I believe this is Andy B's specialist subject.  ;)  Continually ignore all correspondence is, I believe, what he was advised to do.  :y Seems to have worked so far.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 January 2012, 23:04:50 »

"He was sat in the car eating his food, also I'd like to point out he went through the Drive-thru four times for various bits."

if he can afford to go through 4 times that he can afford the fine!!

but as others have said it cant be enforced
do not contact the company at all and just ignore.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 January 2012, 23:17:14 »

Evening people,

I believe this is Andy B's specialist subject.  ;)  Continually ignore all correspondence is, I believe, what he was advised to do.  :y Seems to have worked so far.

It worked for me!  ::) ::) ::)

A business man on telly a few months back discredited McD's CCTV coverage when one of his company vans got a 'ticket'. McD's said the van had gone on the car park at ???? time & left so many hours later. His vehicles were all fitted with trackers so could prove where & when they were parked up. McD's refused to acknowledge the fact the vans had moved & then come back several hours later!!  ??? ???

Nickbat

« Reply #28 on: 11 January 2012, 23:26:33 »

"He was sat in the car eating his food, also I'd like to point out he went through the Drive-thru four times for various bits."

Four McDonalds cost £100? Sheesh! Think I'll carry on dining out at The Vine.  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 January 2012, 08:39:33 »

£10.97 for two large meals the first time around, £1.99 for some cheesy bites the second time around, £1. Something for a McFlurry, and £1.98 for two drinks. That doesn't add up to £100. Still has the receipt along with many others in his car door pocket.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 12 January 2012, 09:54:43 »

£10.97 for two large meals the first time around, £1.99 for some cheesy bites the second time around, £1. Something for a McFlurry, and £1.98 for two drinks. That doesn't add up to £100. Still has the receipt along with many others in his car door pocket.

Keep the receipts, then in the very unlikely event that he does get dragged into court he can produce them and ask what the problem is.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 January 2012, 12:41:07 »

Keep the receipts, then in the very unlikely event that he does get dragged into court he can produce them and ask what the problem is.

Will do :y

lozzy

• Irmscher UK Sales and Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 January 2012, 12:10:31 »

MEt tried nabbing me for a ticket i ignored them 6 months later no more communication
Irmscher UK Sales and Support

1 Omega Estate 100 speakers :D

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 January 2012, 22:40:53 »

Wound,nt worry about it I,ve had at least 30 of these types of ticket in the last few years, worst that happened and this was only once was a guy turned up on the doorstep even then he was only here a couple of min before he had a very firm grasp on my opinion. So far amount paid £0.00. Just to mention though don't try this with a council issued ticket cause you will end up losing in court.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 January 2012, 22:43:06 »

Wound,nt worry about it I,ve had at least 30 of these types of ticket in the last few years, worst that happened and this was only once was a guy turned up on the doorstep even then he was only here a couple of min before he had a very firm grasp on my opinion. So far amount paid £0.00. Just to mention though don't try this with a council issued ticket cause you will end up losing in court.

Good to know, thanks mate, and also thanks to everyone else  :y

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 January 2012, 23:24:01 »

Good to know, thanks mate, and also thanks to everyone else  :y

The key is if it says "Penalty Charge Notice", that's the council, and must be paid. If it's "Parking Charge Notice", or similar bluff and bluster, then it's one for the big round file.

Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.