Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Audi A8  (Read 26941 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Audi A8
« Reply #15 on: 06 August 2018, 17:02:41 »

UK TOW are notorious for giving out crap information ...  :(

Lexus state that there is no towbar available for the 460, and both the Westfalia and Brink sites  .. the biggest towbar manufacturers in UK .. state no type approved bar for the LS460  :(

Yup. This is what I’ve read before on your replacement conundrum. Not thought about earlier V8 petrols? Less depreciation

Shame others resort to aggressive keyboard warrior mode.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 August 2018, 17:20:11 »

W212 e class estate has self levelling as standard and rated to tow 2,100 kgs
Onanists always think outside the box.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 August 2018, 17:25:25 »

UK TOW are notorious for giving out crap information ...  :(

Lexus state that there is no towbar available for the 460, and both the Westfalia and Brink sites  .. the biggest towbar manufacturers in UK .. state no type approved bar for the LS460  :(

Yup. This is what I’ve read before on your replacement conundrum. Not thought about earlier V8 petrols? Less depreciation

Shame others resort to aggressive keyboard warrior mode.

Not rushing to replace .. she might last longer than I expect ... but the other consideration, outside the specification I'm searching for, is reasonably simple ... I'm 67 this year, and I tend to keep cars I like for some time ... this one for example I've had 10 years (purchased in 2008 at 7 years old). Once a car reaches 15 years old getting continental insurance is problematic, so my thoughts run around the idea that I might only be driving for another 13 years or so, getting a car around 3-4 years old will probably see me out, at least for continental touring.

So considering the idea of an "expensive, newish" replacement that will see me out ... Jag was high on the list until I checked the weights ... all around 1600Kgs and very few petrol ones.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2018, 17:38:45 »

Thanks for the thought, not at all interested in manufacturers "it can tow" dream figures .... I want a towcar that ACTUALLY weighs more than what I'm towing...(kerbweight)  manufacturers cannot change the laws of physics, no matter how hard they lie.

Been there done the "it can tow" thing ... Ex military Series 2 Landrover weight around 2500 lb (stripped version for air transport) towing capacity 3.5 ton (7800lbs) .. loaded 4 wheel trailer with 10 x 24 man tents (old fashioned heavy duty canvas jobbers) and their associated poles.pegs etc... pulled it fine, bombing down the road at a steady 50 mph was no problem at all ...... but when the idiot woman with 3 kids in the car in front braked hard to turn left without signalling it all got hairy ... all 4 wheels on the Landy locked, but the inertia of the trailer just kept going .. and going ... and going (luckily in a straight line)... pushed me to within about 2mm of the idiot, how I missed her I have no idea, but it scared me rigid ... I could easily have wiped out the whole family.....

I now think seriously not about "can it pull" but "can it stop" ...... every time I tow something different to the norm.  Call me a wimp if you wish, but that's how it is , and how it will stay .. :)
« Last Edit: 06 August 2018, 17:43:20 by Entwood »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 August 2018, 17:51:16 »

Thanks for the thought, not at all interested in manufacturers "it can tow" dream figures .... I want a towcar that ACTUALLY weighs more than what I'm towing...(kerbweight)  manufacturers cannot change the laws of physics, no matter how hard they lie.

Been there done the "it can tow" thing ... Ex military Series 2 Landrover weight around 2500 lb (stripped version for air transport) towing capacity 3.5 ton (7800lbs) .. loaded 4 wheel trailer with 10 x 24 man tents (old fashioned heavy duty canvas jobbers) and their associated poles.pegs etc... pulled it fine, bombing down the road at a steady 50 mph was no problem at all ...... but when the idiot woman with 3 kids in the car in front braked hard to turn left without signalling it all got hairy ... all 4 wheels on the Landy locked, but the inertia of the trailer just kept going .. and going ... and going (luckily in a straight line)... pushed me to within about 2mm of the idiot, how I missed her I have no idea, but it scared me rigid ... I could easily have wiped out the whole family.....

I now think seriously not about "can it pull" but "can it stop" ...... every time I tow something different to the norm.  Call me a wimp if you wish, but that's how it is , and how it will stay .. :)

Is this not down to the quality of brakes on the trailer?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 August 2018, 17:56:52 »

Is this not down to the quality of brakes on the trailer?

I wonder if the trailer brakes on that thing actually worked at all .. they certainly didn't lock .. but 30 year old military trailers didn't get a lot of TLC in those days ... I was a young sergeant when that happened, so a fair few years back now !!  however, the memory remains implanted ..  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 August 2018, 18:08:34 »

Towed a 2.2 Omega on a twin axle trailer with it, so pretty much max weight and it was good as gold. Obviously as much to do with how you drive as what ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 August 2018, 18:18:56 »

For Tunnies benefit, my earlier post was between showering and brushing. I often post whilst doing other things... If I have the time to write an essay, I will. Equally if I don't I try to be succinct.

The Japs don't do burger vans smacked of snobbish assumption, hence my choice of words.

Infinity don't do tow bars because the Americans do 99.9% of their towing with v8 pick ups... Even BMW struggle to sanction towing in the US, yet everywhere else tow bars are factory options.

The weight issue is a bigger one as most cars now have a considerable proportion of composite and aluminum in their design.

If you need a heavy tow car, then you might have to buy one... ie a large SUV... A late R Class might do it as a compromise :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 August 2018, 18:56:35 »

.... Even BMW struggle to sanction towing in the US, yet everywhere else tow bars are factory options.
Funny how a Smart Fortwo is rated to tow in the States, but not here

.... A late R Class might do it as a compromise :y
I can highly recommend the diseasal version .... though there is a V8 that I really would have liked to justify

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 August 2018, 19:14:05 »

« Last Edit: 06 August 2018, 19:17:25 by Doctor Gollum »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 August 2018, 19:15:01 »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 August 2018, 19:21:18 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 August 2018, 19:21:57 »

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807098267453

And just to give an idea of age range...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201510087611287

A few more V6 petrols on ebay :y

Trouble with Merc is that almost everything is an option, The first one is pretty well spec'd ... even has leather, unlike the black face lift that has Artico ie vinyl  >:( and though difficult to tell it seems to have Airmatic suspension that again, the face lift doesn't

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 August 2018, 19:23:20 »

Find a saloon one ;)

The dog would object to travelling in the boot  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.