also check first as not all insurance companies allow modified cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Tyres
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2018, 10:22:01 »

Type prices seem to be based on how popular that size is. As such going from 235 to 225 or 245 can actually make the tyres cheaper. The same is true of the profile rating change 45 to 40 or 50 and it may make branded tyres quite a bit cheaper.

A couple of points to be aware of when doing this:-
1. If you don't change all four at once and just do a pair, ABS & TC are going to get upset at you, also you must have the same size on the 'axle'.
2. This will change you speedo. You can punch your sizes into https://www.carbibles.com/calculators/ and it will tell you the 'corrected' value. Unless you jump the sizes massively, the difference will be minimal.

and also tell your insurance, you are using an incorrect tyre size  :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2018, 10:35:15 »

Well you did not get any answers on Aoteli tyres. They are cheap I wonder how old they are maybe old stock they want rid of.I fit kuhmo which have been ok for me and a reasonable price.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2018, 17:59:33 »

It would seem that the Michelins are summer tyres, I really need all season, any recommendations please ?
In UK temperatures, I've had no issues with most premium tyres I've had, including the PS4's that the Omega is currently shod with.

We don't really get bad weather here in the UK...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2018, 18:01:16 »

Have you considered looking at a slightly different tyre size?

I'm not saying to do this, but it is something you may consider.

Type prices seem to be based on how popular that size is. As such going from 235 to 225 or 245 can actually make the tyres cheaper. The same is true of the profile rating change 45 to 40 or 50 and it may make branded tyres quite a bit cheaper.

A couple of points to be aware of when doing this:-
1. If you don't change all four at once and just do a pair, ABS & TC are going to get upset at you, also you must have the same size on the 'axle'.
2. This will change you speedo. You can punch your sizes into https://www.carbibles.com/calculators/ and it will tell you the 'corrected' value. Unless you jump the sizes massively, the difference will be minimal.
As others have said, you need to inform your insurance of this, as its non standard, that invalidates your insurance.

You can probably (just) get away with standard Omega sizes, but not anything else.
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 February 2018, 18:08:48 »

It would seem that the Michelins are summer tyres, I really need all season, any recommendations please ?
In UK temperatures, I've had no issues with most premium tyres I've had, including the PS4's that the Omega is currently shod with.

We don't really get bad weather here in the UK...

That's the thing. If you only buy tyres that have a reasonable level of grip in the first place, they will be soft enough not to get too bad in cold weather. If you buy "round and black" or granite compound everlasting ECO-sh1te, they'll go from bad to downright dangerous to unusable.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Automaticman

• Neston
  • Saxwood
    • Frontera V6 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 March 2018, 20:07:48 »

Well I had 2 cheap tyres fitted today on the fronts which incidentally didn't have the locking nuts on which is good as I don't have the key, by AD Tyres (Neston) and a free sausage egg and bacon sarnie for £125 all in  :)
Adrian said they are good for about 6k so should last me a couple of years the way we drive (sedately)
Getting the rears done in the summer, they do have the spinning lock nuts on so a bit of a pita to remove without some drilling/chiselling and he said he will then put the fronts to the rear to even out the wear, very decent bloke, oh and his awesome 23 year old daughter did the fitting, and took the payment  :P
When ya wanna shoot, shoot, dont talk !

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 March 2018, 20:14:43 »

Yep, always worth putting new tyres on the front anyway as they tend to tramline less in the first half of their lifetime. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 March 2018, 23:02:19 »

Yep, always worth putting new tyres on the front anyway as they tend to tramline less in the first half of their lifetime. :y

Though I agree with you, that's not the recommendation of the likes of Michelin .....

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/ten-tyre-care-tips

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 March 2018, 07:44:52 »

I once saw it on a programme[could've been Top Gear]many years ago and they said the ideal was to fit 4 tyres at the same time[obviously that's unlikely to happen]second best was to fit a pair of tyres in which instance the new ones should be fitted to the undriven wheels-i.e.the fronts on an Omega-so that the extra grip provided by the newer rubber couldn't overcome the grip provided by the older rubber.

aaronjb

« Reply #25 on: 02 March 2018, 08:42:36 »

oh and his awesome 23 year old daughter did the fitting, and took the payment  :P

* aaronjb looks up how far it is to Neston ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 March 2018, 09:57:35 »

Though I agree with you, that's not the recommendation of the likes of Michelin .....

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/ten-tyre-care-tips

I think that's based on the assumption that the possibility of oversteer needs to be avoided at all costs, since a "modern" driver will immediately crash if it happens. ;D Probably fair enough, but I've never had my Omega get tail happy with the more worn tyres on the rear. As long as you change the rears at a sensible level of wear, I find that the best policy for an Omega;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 March 2018, 10:02:55 »

oh and his awesome 23 year old daughter did the fitting, and took the payment  :P

* aaronjb looks up how far it is to Neston ;D

241 miles from me, so I'll let you have her, Aaron!

Ron.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 March 2018, 17:54:46 »

150 for him Ron. ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 March 2018, 18:20:45 »

Then he will have to stay for breakfast.....

Ron.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.