Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre pressure help  (Read 2716 times)

feeutfo

Re: Tyre pressure help
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2011, 10:48:45 »

My Old Beemer had staggered Alloys 235-35-19 on the front that was 38 PSI and the rears were 265-30-19 they were 45 PSI.

So I'd say around 38.

I have more or less this set up on my Mig Estate ('cept 275/30 /19 on rear)

- you need 'em that hard when cold? :o
What room for expansion when everything gets hotter?

Matthew

They're the pressures BMW recommend, so I'll agree with BMW  ;D
Where they run flats Del?

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2011, 11:44:37 »

no grip at all in the wet. just kicks out, all tyres are currently on 36psi
What tyres?

My concern is the harder the tyre the less heat developed, less heat less grip. Too soft they get too hot they melt and degrade possibly damaging the structure obviously.

So varying the pressure without a variation on load worries me. Although clearly preferable to any damage.

Also the tyre is the first component in the suspension, a lower profile at stock psi will be firmer anyway....

51M0N

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2011, 12:00:43 »

What tyres?

My concern is the harder the tyre the less heat developed, less heat less grip. Too soft they get too hot they melt and degrade possibly damaging the structure obviously.

So varying the pressure without a variation on load worries me. Although clearly preferable to any damage.

Also the tyre is the first component in the suspension, a lower profile at stock psi will be firmer anyway....

As I have stated above already, Only I drive the car so its not laden with weight, Its lowered and the tyre size is 235 35 19 all round

51M0N

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2011, 12:01:10 »

What tyres?

As I have stated above already, Only I drive the car so its not laden with weight, Its lowered and the tyre size is 235 35 19 all round

But i suspect they are of budget origin.

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2011, 12:15:40 »

What tyres?

But i suspect they are of budget origin.
Size won't tell us how the tyres will perform, hence my question. Conti sc3 will perform well regards performance and grip levels. Michelin primacy will last for ever but grip is limited and they cost a fortune. However any budget tyre, as you say, will give very poor grip levels in the wet. So probably not the tyres pressure causing poor wet grip. Which is why i asked. Although 36psi certainly will not help.

Personally I think some budget tyres are bloody dangerous. They are capable of quite reasonable grip levels in the dry, leading to a false sense of security, until it rains and catching the driver totally unaware and sliding towards the ditch. As I guess you've probably discovered. ;D it's the terribly sorry old boy, I am a little tireding gap between wet and dry grip that's worrying.

51M0N

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2011, 14:28:57 »

my original question was what psi they should be inflated to regardless of wet or dry due to it not being a standard size. so far everyone is disageering with each other  :-? :-/

feeutfo

« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2011, 18:13:39 »

Yes, because it's not a standard fitment. Therefore no vx recommendation for the omega. You'll not find any info on the vx or tyre makers web site. They'll quote Please read the manual.

If I had to guess, I'd look at another vx with stock 19's and go from there. Preferably a car of similar weight. One of the VXR vectras has 19's iirc. But the vectra will be lighter I would think.

It's up to you in the end. If the roads are crap and your worried about damage then you'll have to raise psi. But that aside it should be standard as the chart in FAQ IMO. Although I run 32 all round on my 3.2 with 245 40 18.

It's no wonder insurers charge for non standard or over sized wheel modifications. 19's are too big for the omega anyway if you ask me, but hay ho.

feeutfo

« Reply #22 on: 14 May 2011, 18:17:46 »

Or looking at it another way, start with stock and raise it depending on road quality. Trouble is if push comes to shove re insurance if psi is deemed too high you could potentially be in the poop. No?

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #23 on: 14 May 2011, 18:29:56 »

Yes, because it's not a standard fitment. Therefore no vx recommendation for the omega. You'll not find any info on the vx or tyre makers web site. They'll quote Please read the manual.

If I had to guess, I'd look at another vx with stock 19's and go from there. Preferably a car of similar weight. One of the VXR vectras has 19's iirc. But the vectra will be lighter I would think.

It's up to you in the end. If the roads are crap and your worried about damage then you'll have to raise psi. But that aside it should be standard as the chart in FAQ IMO. Although I run 32 all round on my 3.2 with 245 40 18.

It's no wonder insurers charge for non standard or over sized wheel modifications. 19's are too big for the omega anyway if you ask me, but hay ho.

agreed..also together with lowered suspension and high pressure tires comfort will seriously degrade..

and another important subject , as the wheels and tires become very expensive at this size, most users prefer cheaper brands  which also leads no grip in rain :( 

feeutfo

« Reply #24 on: 14 May 2011, 20:19:40 »

agreed..also together with lowered suspension and high pressure tires comfort will seriously degrade..

and another important subject , as the wheels and tires become very expensive at this size, most users prefer cheaper brands  which also leads no grip in rain :( 
In sc3 we're probably looking at £7-800 a set in that size.

51M0N

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 May 2011, 21:57:07 »

Considering i'm on 19s and lowered i think the look small, as for ride quality its surprisingly comfortable!

Think i'll go with 34psi and see how it goes.

Stallion

• Omega Knight
  • Romford
  • "If you can't CONVINCE them, CONFUSE them"!!
    • 3.2 Irmscher Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 May 2011, 22:18:18 »

agreed..also together with lowered suspension and high pressure tires comfort will seriously degrade..and another important subject , as the wheels and tires become very expensive at this size, most users prefer cheaper brands  which also leads no grip in rain :( 

Comfort does definitely degrade, but then it falls on individuals whether you want the looks or the comfort?  :-? Definitely cant get both. and budget tyres  :-[ the name says it all doesnt it!!  :y

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2011, 08:02:36 »

...........I'm off to get Conti 3's for my Fronts this morning - Conti 2's on the rear on Friday (Conti 3 not available in 275/30/19 that I can find :-?)

I'm not going to have them as hard as has been suggested here so far - but I'll let you know how I get on.
38/45 - that's frightening! :o

Matthew
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2011, 09:30:29 »

...........I'm off to get Conti 3's for my Fronts this morning - Conti 2's on the rear on Friday (Conti 3 not available in 275/30/19 that I can find :-?)

I'm not going to have them as hard as has been suggested here so far - but I'll let you know how I get on.

Matthew

I'm guessing the BMW must have those 'super reinforced' tyres on the back at least; 45psi cold would put most tyres well over their rated maximum when hot IIRC.

MV6Matt

• Omega Knight
  • London
  • Back in Black. Sensible size this time............
    • Meriva 1.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2011, 15:23:22 »

Matthew

I'm guessing the BMW must have those 'super reinforced' tyres on the back at least; 45psi cold would put most tyres well over their rated maximum when hot IIRC.

Talking with the Guy at the Tyre shop this morning:- he told me that 38/45 was with run flat tyres and he certainly wouldn't have 'em that hard on his M3 (So there's money in this tyre business, obviously!(and he was driving his other car - a merc!))

He also said the Contis can take a max 50 PSI at this size.
Mine were inflated to 32 on Friday and were at 40 after a 5 mile drive this morning (to the tyre shop).

I think I'll go with their recommendation of 32/34.

As for the new Contis - more sure footed - but can't tell about road noise as the Diff/rear Bearing rumbling buzz is too noisy to hear properly.
My front tyres were seriously worn on each outer edge, so he put her up and got me back into the green.

Why begs the question; should a trip to WIM be an annual one?

Matthew
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
(thanks Ian)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.