Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Box reset  (Read 3385 times)

Elmstoneboy

• Biddenden Kent UK
    • J reg 2.6 V6 Auto CDX
    • View Profile
Auto Box reset
« on: 29 August 2014, 22:20:37 »

It has been mentioned a few times on the forum about re-setting the auto box with a couple of presses of the snow button.
What is the actual procedure for this, should the car be moving or stationary, in park or drive, how quick or slow pressing the button ??? What does it actually reset???

Sorry wrong section, could somebody move me please.
« Last Edit: 29 August 2014, 22:23:47 by Elmstoneboy »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Box reset
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2014, 22:25:19 »

It has been mentioned a few times on the forum about re-setting the auto box with a couple of presses of the snow button.
What is the actual procedure for this, should the car be moving or stationary, in park or drive, how quick or slow pressing the button ??? What does it actually reset???

Pressing the snow button resets nothing. What you might be getting confused with is that when the gearbox is cold it'll tend to hold onto 1st gear for longer. Some press the snow button in this situation to stop the car from over revving.  ;)

Elmstoneboy

• Biddenden Kent UK
    • J reg 2.6 V6 Auto CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2014, 22:31:53 »

Ah, good point Andy. Hadn't thought of that one. Thanks for the tip.

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2014, 09:03:13 »

Engine management is set to rev to 3k rpm when driven from cold, to warm that cats quicker to improve emissions test results. Pressing either sport mode or snow button will "reset" it to change as normal.

...sometimes. I find that once snow mode or sport button are pressed again back to normal drive, the high rpm mode continues again. So I tend not to bother personally.

Elmstoneboy

• Biddenden Kent UK
    • J reg 2.6 V6 Auto CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2014, 16:56:02 »

Thanks Gents, another mystery of the Omega solved.

Rog

« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2014, 17:37:57 »

Engine management is set to rev to 3k rpm when driven from cold, to warm that cats quicker to improve emissions test results. Pressing either sport mode or snow button will "reset" it to change as normal.

...sometimes. I find that once snow mode or sport button are pressed again back to normal drive, the high rpm mode continues again. So I tend not to bother personally.

After 4 Omegas I didn't know that. I knew it happened, but didn't know why. :y

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2014, 18:14:29 »

well Rog I didn't know that either mind you mine never did hold the lower gears when cold until Daz looked at it :y
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2014, 18:45:03 »

It is in the top ten most annoying features of an Omega.  Totally unnecessary and wholly uncivilised if you live in a quiet residential area and need to get moving to work at more than 2mph.  If only it could be turned off  >:( >:( >:(
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2014, 18:54:13 »

.....  If only it could be turned off  >:( >:( >:(

You can .... press the snow button  ;) ;)

The Smart does similar, it'll hang on to first gear for ages first thing in the morning, unless you manually put it into 2nd  :y

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2014, 19:16:11 »

The Smart does similar, it'll hang on to first gear for ages first thing in the morning, unless you manually put it into 2nd  :y

Andy my dear... if i'd wanted to press buttons all day i'd have learnt to play the ****ing clarinet  :D  As it happens I'm quite enamored with the concept of " A U T O M A T I C "  ;D

Aside from which I tried it earlier on... did sod all... and didn't appear to show a light anywhere to say it was "on" ?  ???
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2014, 19:35:22 »

Andy my dear... if i'd wanted to press buttons all day i'd have learnt to play the ****ing clarinet  :D  As it happens I'm quite enamored with the concept of " A U T O M A T I C "  ;D

Aside from which I tried it earlier on... did sod all... and didn't appear to show a light anywhere to say it was "on" ?  ???

The snow flake should get a bit brighter .... you should be able to tell if it's done anything because you'll be pulling away from a standstill in 3rd gear  :y

I can manage 3 blind Mice on a clarinet  ;) ;)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2014, 20:18:50 »

That told you Andy........... :D :D :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2014, 21:34:03 »

That told you Andy........... :D :D :D

Seems like it  ::) ::)

Elmstoneboy

• Biddenden Kent UK
    • J reg 2.6 V6 Auto CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2014, 00:41:03 »

While on the subject of the snow button, just what does it do? I know it locks it in 3rd gear, but also, when just sitting stationary with hand brake on or off, gear in drive, and engine just ticking over, when I push the button, there is about a 4 second delay and then the rear of the car pops up, probably about 20mm or at least enough to notice and when I push the button again it drops back down again. Is it lifting the suspension???  Any idea's or answers?? :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #14 on: 02 September 2014, 01:59:47 »

While on the subject of the snow button, just what does it do? I know it locks it in 3rd gear, but also, when just sitting stationary with hand brake on or off, gear in drive, and engine just ticking over, when I push the button, there is about a 4 second delay and then the rear of the car pops up, probably about 20mm or at least enough to notice and when I push the button again it drops back down again. Is it lifting the suspension???  Any idea's or answers?? :-\

Yes. Same as applying the handbrake does when applying a bit of clutch on a manual. You can make the rear of the car rise and fall. Same thing but in an auto, which does it in any forward gear.

Pulling away in third is meant to apply less torque to the rear wheels to minimise wheel spin. Other than that I'm not sure of the question tbh. Although the delay might imply the ATF needs changing....? Does it thump when engaging gears?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.