Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Box reset  (Read 3387 times)

Rog

Re: Auto Box reset
« Reply #15 on: 02 September 2014, 08:30:59 »

While on the subject of the snow button, just what does it do? I know it locks it in 3rd gear, but also, when just sitting stationary with hand brake on or off, gear in drive, and engine just ticking over, when I push the button, there is about a 4 second delay and then the rear of the car pops up, probably about 20mm or at least enough to notice and when I push the button again it drops back down again. Is it lifting the suspension???  Any idea's or answers?? :-\

Thought it was for making snow.  . . . But I've never wanted any, so I've never pressed it    ::)

Elmstoneboy

• Biddenden Kent UK
    • J reg 2.6 V6 Auto CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 September 2014, 09:36:13 »

While on the subject of the snow button, just what does it do? I know it locks it in 3rd gear, but also, when just sitting stationary with hand brake on or off, gear in drive, and engine just ticking over, when I push the button, there is about a 4 second delay and then the rear of the car pops up, probably about 20mm or at least enough to notice and when I push the button again it drops back down again. Is it lifting the suspension???  Any idea's or answers?? :-\

Yes. Same as applying the handbrake does when applying a bit of clutch on a manual. You can make the rear of the car rise and fall. Same thing but in an auto, which does it in any forward gear.

Pulling away in third is meant to apply less torque to the rear wheels to minimise wheel spin. Other than that I'm not sure of the question tbh. Although the delay might imply the ATF needs changing....? Does it thump when engaging gears?

No, the ATF was all changed last year, both sumps, and no thumping from the box, very smooth. I know what you mean about the riding up on the handbrake, but it does it with the handbrake off and just sitting there and it doesn't make the car start to roll. When you switch off the snow button the car drops back down again. It's not a problem, just curious as to what it's doing.

chrisgixer

« Reply #17 on: 03 September 2014, 12:08:20 »

It's engaging and disengaging third gear as and when you press the button.  The rise and fall is part if that. Nothing to worry about.

chrisgixer

« Reply #18 on: 03 September 2014, 12:17:12 »

The rise and fall is to do with the direction the dif turns as drive is engaged. The dif is attached to the body, the driveshafts are attached to the wheels. The suspension connects the two. So the result is a squat at the back, especially at the top of the suspension travel where the progressive rate springs are relatively weakest. The car doesn't move forward due to the friction provided by the contact patch if the tyres. Increase the pressures significantly, add a load on the car and/or add a slope and that will affect things regarding creep at tickover.

Elmstoneboy

• Biddenden Kent UK
    • J reg 2.6 V6 Auto CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2014, 12:57:45 »

Thanks Gents  :y 

Fascinating things these Omigas aren't they.

Had a 2.5 manual pre-facelift from new for 15 years, and it now seems quite basic
compared to the Facelift. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a fart sensors in the seats  :o  :-[

The Sheriff

« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2014, 13:09:44 »

Thanks Gents  :y 

Fascinating things these Omigas aren't they.

Had a 2.5 manual pre-facelift from new for 15 years, and it now seems quite basic
compared to the Facelift. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a fart sensors in the seats  :o  :-[
You have to provide your own fart sensor. It usually sits in the front passenger seat and rebukes you with a "Dirty bastard!" If you let one go.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2014, 14:35:03 »

STMO, I think those sensors come as standard - thanks for the larf, I have tears!
 ;D

Ron.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.