Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Immersion heaters  (Read 2082 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Immersion heaters
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2014, 08:20:39 »

Don't use Boss white, it doesn't need it, the gasket will stop all leaks assuming the mating face on the element and tank is clean.

In fact I have hardly seen any installs that truly need Boss white, plumbers bodge we used to call it.  ;D

Also, get at least an incoloy element (only a few pounds extra) or if your feeling very rich, a titanium one (about double the price). The most common cause of element failure is down to corrosion and water then gets into the element, the above are considerably more robust and corrosion resistant.  :y

4x4

« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2014, 11:10:26 »

Ive always used boss white on emersion heaters,prevents leaks and also saves doing a job twice,boss white isnt a bodge its for to make threads water tight,boss white and hemp is used on all iron pipe work aswell,boss blue is for use on gas only.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2014, 11:18:39 »

It is a bodge on immersion heaters as the threads are not designed to be the sealing surface, its the plain face of the immersion heater collar with the gasket that is. I would argue its not ideal on anything (other than maybe malleable iron threaded fittings) as none of the standard parts you get at designed to use it (and hence they were designed such that it was not required).

The issue with Boss white is that it secures the immersion heater units to well and can result in a torn cylinder if trying to replace later.  :y

4x4

« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2014, 11:31:58 »

I use it on both the gasket and thread,ive seen them leak when nothing has been used on them,ive changed a few in the past 28yrs working for myself ,bedford council and other plumbing firms in bedford,as for getting them undone,you take the risk,and do it gently,its same as undoing bolts on cars etc they can shear off,nothing different,just knowing your own strength,and using the right tool for the job ,but ive have been taught this way by tutors at college and when i was with different plumbers when an apprentice,its like using black gasket sealent on the cam covers near the cam pulleys,we do it because it works and in theory we only have to do it once.....

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2014, 23:53:17 »

Do people still use Boss White?  Can you still buy it?  And hemp :o  Remember it well back in the 60s, along with "soldering" lead pipes.

PTFE tape, silicon sealants etc surely.

1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

4x4

« Reply #20 on: 02 September 2014, 06:11:09 »

Ive had to solder old lead pipes in the past ,still buy hemp and boss white is still sold everywhere

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 September 2014, 21:45:43 »

Don't use Boss white, it doesn't need it, the gasket will stop all leaks assuming the mating face on the element and tank is clean.

In fact I have hardly seen any installs that truly need Boss white, plumbers bodge we used to call it.  ;D

Also, get at least an incoloy element (only a few pounds extra) or if your feeling very rich, a titanium one (about double the price). The most common cause of element failure is down to corrosion and water then gets into the element, the above are considerably more robust and corrosion resistant.  :y
Well worth the extra cost I replaced my last element twenty five years ago with a titanium one and it's still going strong  :y
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #22 on: 03 September 2014, 18:19:04 »

Thanks for that tip  :y

I ask a college lecturer yesterday (that teaches plumbing, so i would hope he knows what he was taking about) , about adding a immersion heater to my existing cylinder, when he found out it was at least 32 years old.....he reckoned he wouldnt even attempt it....with the probable limescale build up inside it...

On the bright side, he offered me, a slightly larger tank than i have, which apparently has been used for a demo...then uninstalled and been sitting about for 6 months....and could give me the receipt for it (so i had the remaining 10years warranty on it)... He reckoned they paid £150 for it and would be looking for scrap value for it .... £50 ... bargain perhaps  :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 September 2014, 08:07:23 »

Very much struggling to understand the correlation between lime scale build up and 'knackered'.

For me, knackered is thin walled and holed (as the copper would corrode if it was not for the anodes inside it), lime scale will actually help that.

But if this is the thinking of the teachers then its no wonder the trade is in the state it is.  ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 September 2014, 09:25:24 »

Having been a college lecturer (Electronics, not plumbing), I doubt the "selling off" story. It is exceedingly difficult to sell any college items to students, the system doesn't allow it.
I'm wondering if this might be a dodgy deal? Make sure you get a receipt, TD, if you do buy it.

Ron.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #25 on: 04 September 2014, 20:18:10 »

Actually, scrap this thread about immersion heaters and hot water tanks.....

Think ive just spent £2.5k on having a Vaillant combi instead  :-\ Well actually i have  ::) ;D

The ecotec plus 831  :) But thanks for the info guys   :y

The Sheriff

« Reply #26 on: 04 September 2014, 20:31:31 »

Think ive just spent £2.5k on having a Vaillant combi instead  :-\ Well actually i have  ::) ;D

S'alright, Dave, we've got eff all else to do. No......really... ;D

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #27 on: 04 September 2014, 21:52:44 »

Well you have...except cleaning / changing your incontinence pads  ;D :)

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 05 September 2014, 04:00:05 »

Well you have...except cleaning / changing your incontinence pads  ;D :)
Shopping and washing too don't forget... our Steve is a busy house wife ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 September 2014, 08:07:53 »

£2.5K for a crappy combi!

So £900 of boiler and £1600 to fit it ??? :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.