Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Costs of country living?  (Read 4236 times)

chrisgixer

Costs of country living?
« on: 01 September 2014, 07:58:36 »

Looking at a move to an even more rural location than NotReading.  :y

Small village, 2meg phone line connection max, and water is about the only things connected up.

Its oil fired heating, and a septic tank. Anyone know the annual costs of these? My Mum had to move to a smaller house once due to oil costs partly. So I'm a bit concerned.

Would converting to lpg heating be cheaper? Depends on instal costs I guess. :-\

RossPhim

• Morayshire, Scotland
  • The blue oval now-a-days!?!
    • 2.2 TDCi TXS
    • View Profile
Re: Costs of country living?
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2014, 08:06:44 »

Oil fired should be fine as long as bolier is  reasonably efficient.
My BIL has the oil, and I think he is around £400 per year for oil

Septic tank again should be fine, but depends on size & condition, and should only need emptied every couple of years or so.
Is the septic tank shared?
I would assume that costs to empty range greatly between areas but up here its around the £300 mark.

If interested I would ask seller for proof of bills for these items.

HTH

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2014, 08:37:54 »

Crikey Chris, where are you moving to?

The 2Mbit broadband would be the killer for me.. ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2014, 09:01:53 »

My Mum and Dad have a two bed bungalow that they heat to inferno level by oil. Their usage is about £500 to £600 a year. They only have a 1000 litre tank and have to run it to very nearly empty before the tanker will deliver. I would check the size of tank as delivery under such conditions is a pain.

We live in the countryside with no hard wired Internet. We have satellite Internet from Tooway. http://www.bentley-walker.com/tooway/tooway_home.php  It is fast and reliable but has monthly limits. 2Meg would be no good for streaming TV.

Septic tanks. The words cover a multitude of applications from a hole in the ground to sophisticated systems with multi chambers. They do require a more holistic approach to use. e.g. not a good idea to flush nappies down the loo, can't use domestos and other harsh chemical cleaners. Similarly not a good idea to flush grease and fats down sink (just wipe out and bin with kitchen roll). It becomes a way of life. If you wouldn't eat or drink it don't flush it
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2014, 09:03:11 »

If you wouldn't eat or drink it don't flush it

:o :o :o  Remind me not to eat any chocolate if I'm ever at your house.. especially not if it looks like it has corn in it ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2014, 09:45:57 »

.. and LPG heating won't be cheaper. Both are around 50p a litre currently, but heating oil delivers about 1.5 times as much energy per litre. Also, having an LPG tank usually ties you in to one supplier (= over a barrel) whereas you can shop around freely for heating oil. That's before we consider the siting requirements for an LPG tank. Mind, if you could fill your Omega up from it... :-X

Septic tank is pretty much a non-issue if it's working OK, as said. Periodic emptying required but you should almost make the cost back on not having to pay for sewerage on your water bill.. Only issue is if you inherit a tank that's falling apart so get it surveyed.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2014, 12:10:46 »

Also factor in extra transport costs , and if it's really remote what's it like in winter ? councils grit/clear main roads , if you're off the beaten track you could be in trouble getting out and about .

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2014, 12:21:55 »

just dont do the townie thing of putting lots of outdoor lights up the first week, cos its dark in the outback..

you soon get used to it.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2014, 12:32:01 »

just dont do the townie thing of putting lots of outdoor lights up the first week, cos its dark in the outback..

you soon get used to it.

When you live in the town & get used to street lighting etc, you don't appreciate how dark it gets at night in the sticks.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2014, 12:34:12 »

Looking at a move to an even more rural location than NotReading.  :y

Small village, 2meg phone line connection max, and water is about the only things connected up.

Its oil fired heating, and a septic tank. Anyone know the annual costs of these? My Mum had to move to a smaller house once due to oil costs partly. So I'm a bit concerned.

Would converting to lpg heating be cheaper? Depends on instal costs I guess. :-\

The cost depends on how many people you have in the house and how often you take a dump.

We pay about £70 to have it emptied. Shop around because prices vary greatly.

Water bills will be less because you have the septic tank.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2014, 12:37:51 »

Bottled gas is expensive.

We pay about £50 for each 47 KG propane.

Again, shop around because prices vary greatly.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2014, 12:39:57 »

Heating oil is also expensive.

About £600 for 1000 litres the last time we bought some.

Again......shop around. :y

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2014, 13:52:49 »

you soon get used to it.

When you live in the town & get used to street lighting etc, you don't appreciate how dark it gets at night in the sticks.
  :o You got that right , we out in the wilds of Northumberland coming back from Edinburgh late one night , I never knew it could get so dark ! , quite scary actually  :o 

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 01 September 2014, 13:54:06 »

you soon get used to it.

Indeed. A member here has no street lights outside their house, it's quite a shock to realise you can't see your hand in front of your face until your eyes get used to the dark. iPhone torch to the rescue.

...and before certain members scoff at the iPhone torch, I've been offered "a proper torch" on occasion when rummaging around engine bays and couldn't see a damn thing with it. ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 September 2014, 13:55:19 »

Indeed. A member here has no street lights outside their house, it's quite a shock to realise you can't see your hand in front of your face until your eyes get used to the dark. iPhone torch to the rescue.

...and before certain members scoff at the iPhone torch, I've been offered "a proper torch" on occasion when rummaging around engine bays and couldn't see a damn thing with it. ;D

They have a little switch on the side for that.. and there's no "app".  ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.