Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Costs of country living?  (Read 4226 times)

aaronjb

Re: Costs of country living?
« Reply #45 on: 02 September 2014, 10:17:23 »

If you give the the web address of a test, I will post up my result. We watch occasional catch up TV with no buffering. No idea what a remote desktop is(unless it is what I am typing from....)

Varche - fire up www.speedtest.net and then let me know what the "Ping" result is (22ms for me right now) ..

Streaming services will work fine regardless of round trip time as long as there isn't too much "jitter" (that is, packets being reordered and arriving out of sequence).  Jitter really kills things like Skype though as (if I recall) Skype is UDP and doesn't do packet reordering but rather drops out of order sequences instead.

Chris - VPN is just "Virtual Private Network", really a marketing name for an underlying technology.  It's just a transport mechanism, though, it's what you do over the VPN that matters.. if it's highly interactive (SSH, telnet, remote desktop etc) then it's painful with high jitter and high RTT, but if it's Email/file sharing/etc the RTT is much less of an issue..  If H connects, remotely, to another machine at head office and uses that as if she was sat at the head office computer's keyboard & screen it might be bad, but she probably just uses email/word/etc, right?

chrisgixer

« Reply #46 on: 02 September 2014, 10:26:59 »

Correct, I think. They have to use some ridiculously crap software on each machine to a central server via VPN. The info is just recording data, such as case progress updates, email etc so yes, prety much :)

aaronjb

« Reply #47 on: 02 September 2014, 11:09:16 »

Yeah, so you'd probably be fine over satellite link or slower ADSL; it'll feel "laggy" over satellite and the decreased lag on ADSL probably more than makes up for the lower bandwidth for most people.. though streaming TV over 2Mbit might be touch and go!

I don't think I could give up my 150Mbit :( ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 02 September 2014, 11:46:44 »

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3730558467

High ping but that doesn't affect our Skype back to the UK each week. I expected to have to say OVER at the end of speech!

The speed isn't right either. It works at just below 20 meg and about 3 or so upload. The Tooway sat internet people don't like you using speedtest .net or other similar sites. there is a spiel on Bentley walkers website about how it shows up sat internet performance. What I do know is that it is streets better than any 3G dongle I have ever used. Using Tooway's own Ookla test tool gives these results again with a high ping

Download Speed: 20029 kbps (2503.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5995 kbps (749.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 639 ms
Jitter: 169 ms
Packet Loss: -1%
02/09/2014 12:44:48

Don't forget the monthly limit limit. You can schedule bandwidth hungry downloads during the unlimited night period using schedule task manager

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #49 on: 02 September 2014, 13:10:11 »

The (relatively) low jitter is probably why Skype works pretty well - the 600ms latency isn't so bad (it's only 0.5s before your audio reaches the other end, after all) :y

Not a bad solution if you're determined to live outside civilisation ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 02 September 2014, 14:07:45 »

"Improved considerably since this time last year" would be my comment. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 02 September 2014, 15:39:44 »

Dont forget to factor in the cost of wellies, flatcaps, wax jackets and plus fours ::)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 02 September 2014, 20:02:02 »

If you have oil fired heating etc. just ensure you make sure the oil tank is secure due to the possibility of oil theft in
remote areas. :y
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.