Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New laptop time  (Read 2081 times)

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
New laptop time
« on: 01 September 2014, 19:36:51 »

As above. The wife tells me she needs a new laptop !! She has a gay pad but this will not do all that she wants, we are not ones to play games on computers so what is the best for not to much money and please don't say HP. I could then use this new computer for the LPG set up but don't tell the wife. Will also need to use it with WiFi

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: New laptop time
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2014, 20:13:05 »

I had all makes of Laptops since day one, probably every make under the Sun, theve all, but 2, gone bang at some point.

The 2 that survived and served me well were Maxdata and Samsung, not sure if Maxdata are still around so Im going to put my head on the block and say Samsung.  :y

No doubt someone will tell me Im wrong.  ;D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2014, 20:33:36 »

I have a refurbished Dell Latitude D630. Seems fine atm. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2014, 20:58:46 »

As above. The wife tells me she needs a new laptop !! She has a gay pad but this will not do all that she wants, we are not ones to play games on computers so what is the best for not to much money and please don't say HP. I could then use this new computer for the LPG set up but don't tell the wife. Will also need to use it with WiFi
That's what we use. Don't buy consumer tat like HP Pavilion etc, because they are shite. My 5 or 6 year old 6720s still works despite all the abuse it gets. Admittedly, its not on its original battery though.
Grumpy old man

Stuart30

« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2014, 21:07:50 »

Do you want Brand New or decent second hand machine.

Others will slate them no doubt,however i've always found the Dell Laptops sell well,also easy to work on (Been buying and selling for a wee while,actually as far back as the Satellite pro 4200 series which im sure a few members bought. ;)).

Whilst you can get a very respectable spec now days for £300...you can still get a very capable machine Dell 1525 etc for £80 ish.

Its no different buying a car...yes its lovely to have a brand new machine no one has used,but a second hand car can be just as reliable and a pleasure to use. :y

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 September 2014, 09:25:34 »

Business grade laptop way to go not consumer, HP Elitebook or Toshiba Tecra range very good I was an IT manager for many years and bought both of these in vast quantities, they will take some serious abuse like being in car boots and backpacks. Have a look on ebay and try and go for either a Core 2 Duo or i5 or i7 CPU. Windows 7 and at least 4 GB RAM.

mickyboy123

• Intermediate Member
  • brighton
  • hi
    • 2.2 cd omega.petrol auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2014, 09:39:39 »

I would go with samsung, i think you will find these hard to beat  :y

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2014, 14:38:39 »

If I went for Samsung which model do I look for. I don't want to go over £400-450 if I can help it. For that price which is the best new laptop at the moment.

Stuart30

« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2014, 17:01:35 »

If I went for Samsung which model do I look for. I don't want to go over £400-450 if I can help it. For that price which is the best new laptop at the moment.

The question you need to ask yourself is,what will it actually get used for...internet/Streaming TV...?

Do you actually need 1000GB of hard drive or 16GB of ram...chances are probably not,people get sucked In by big numbers.

Have look at what you will use it for and buy something to suit...id hazard a guess at a dual core machine with 4GB (pretty much basic spec these days) would be more than enough.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2014, 20:05:13 »

Others will slate them no doubt,however i've always found the Dell Laptops sell well,also easy to work on (Been buying and selling for a wee while,actually as far back as the Satellite pro 4200 series which im sure a few members bought. ;)).

Whilst you can get a very respectable spec now days for £300...you can still get a very capable machine Dell 1525 etc for £80 ish.

Its no different buying a car...yes its lovely to have a brand new machine no one has used,but a second hand car can be just as reliable and a pleasure to use. :y
Opps ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2014, 20:09:36 »

Joff, you probably looking for a Intel Core i3 Ivy Bridge with integrated Intel graphics, around 4-6Gb RAM (as it will be Win8.1 64 bit).

You need to decide on portability (smaller screen) or bigger, wider screen (less portable). Also, do you jave specific port requirements, eg serial?

Samsung may be pulling out from laptop market. Sony effectively already have. Of the big names remaining, HP (Business, not Pavilion tat), Tosh or Dell (in that order) would be my preference
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2014, 20:10:11 »

And around £330 if you shop around with patience ;)
Grumpy old man

Stuart30

« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2014, 20:53:26 »

Opps ;)

Im lost... ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 September 2014, 21:23:35 »

Opps ;)

Im lost... ;D
Sorry, the implication was that you'd been selling Dells since they had the Satelite 4200 range :P
Grumpy old man

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2014, 21:26:03 »

Joff, you probably looking for a Intel Core i3 Ivy Bridge with integrated Intel graphics, around 4-6Gb RAM (as it will be Win8.1 64 bit).

You need to decide on portability (smaller screen) or bigger, wider screen (less portable). Also, do you jave specific port requirements, eg serial?

Samsung may be pulling out from laptop market. Sony effectively already have. Of the big names remaining, HP (Business, not Pavilion tat), Tosh or Dell (in that order) would be my preference

Thanks TB I'll shop around for a good deal :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.