Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: So what next??  (Read 2528 times)

nilocp

• Halifax, West Yorkshire
    • View Profile
So what next??
« on: 20 September 2016, 10:40:10 »

I had been looking for another Omega Estate to replace my 2.5 V6 and latterly my MV6, and cannot find a diesel that will do the job.

And I now find myself with a larger amount of money to spend on a replacement.

So diesel, Estate, auto, budget of up to £15k.

I have eliminated BMW and Jaguar, but am considering Audi Volvo and Mercedes.

It must have a decent load space , ala the Omega, and be able to tow my MGB race car.

So guys point me in the right direction please :y :y

Colin

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: So what next??
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2016, 10:45:17 »

Octavia V RS?

My boss at work is due a new car and has ruled out the A4 as it`s carrying capacity is pant`s but is seriously looking at the Octavia V RS.

A6 Avant might not be a bad choice either.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2016, 10:48:06 »

Been looking at Estates myself, before concluding my commuter did not need to be an Estate.

Insignia Estate is shite, utter, utter shite in almost every way, it's far too small and terrible plastics all over the place. Out of more premium estates my thoughts:

Audi: Very poor space, but I very much liked the Interior
Jaguar: Awesome looking Estate, but space is poor.
BMW: Best of the bunch really for me in terms of useable boot space.

Not sure if BMW has the most 'litres' but for day to day use, appeared the most decent.

Volvo V70 is just dull, dull dull. Boring to look at, booooring inside and really just booring.  ::)

Merc: Came close to getting one of these at Car Giant, loads of examples for the money. Probably the biggest boot of all German brands and prob biggest one out there? Just disappointed with build, seats not very supportive and low amounts of tech. One £15k version I was looking at had no sat nav or bluetooth connectivity. ???

If I had to have an Estate and not a Mum Bus Zafira or Galaxy, I'd prob get a 5 series F10 shape, with Pro Nav and Sports Seats.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2016, 11:16:39 »

If you're going to carry large objects, you don't want an Audi. BMW estates aren't much better.

The choice between a Volvo and E-class is a personal one.
 I can't get comfortable with Mercedes seating position, which instantly rules them out for me. I don't like the image much either, which is a shame because the huge range of engines means there's one for every need. Although a well used diesel is a brave purchase.

Volvos image is a comfortable, practical, long lasting, unpretentious(until recently, anyway) tool. It's a good match for an Omega. Towing would suggest a turbo. Don't buy an automatic!

2boxerdogs

« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2016, 12:28:48 »

Colleague at work has a 2013 E Class tried Audi & BMW when looking to change loves the Merc but as he doesn't do a great mileage wishes he had gone for petrol, had it two years now used to tow a caravan which he has now sold , had no problems whatsoever.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2016, 13:13:06 »

Only one choice imho... E Class estate. 2011/12 will be in budget, factory towbar is a doddle to use. If seat comfort is an issue try cars with fully electric seats... these are readily identified by having the seat controls on the door cards.

Had an E220cdi estate for a spell, went well, and would tow upto 2100kgs all day long. Rear wheel drive and self leveling rear suspension make for a stable tow car.

Volvo etc would ideally be awd for serious towing, and ideally not auto as wwd slush boxes seem to be made of cheese.

4x4 versions of various family sized cars will be available in budget, and interiors are a personal preference... there's no less plastic in anything nowadays, and spec level has a significant bearing on finish.

Basically, shop around and go by towing ability rather than badge :y
« Last Edit: 20 September 2016, 13:23:43 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2016, 14:46:07 »

Definitely agree with ignore the badge advice , I settled for an Hyundai to use for towing friends have Land Rovers & Volvo's 4x4 etc. I have had no problems at all compared to them & the Hyundai was cheaper may be considered "down market" but it goes anywhere & will tow virtually anything.Good luck with your search.😉
« Last Edit: 20 September 2016, 14:47:47 by Tilbo »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2016, 18:12:48 »

Definitely agree with ignore the badge advice , I settled for an Hyundai to use for towing friends have Land Rovers & Volvo's 4x4 etc. I have had no problems at all compared to them & the Hyundai was cheaper may be considered "down market" but it goes anywhere & will tow virtually anything.Good luck with your search.😉

Yes I borrowed a friends Hyundai Tucson last year and really liked it despite it being slightly fugly, but the new Tucson looks really nice!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2016, 07:45:45 »

If my primary requirement was to tow a ~1500Kg (just a guess?) car+trailer combo I'd get another Ranger, personally.

Sure, you can tow 2T behind an estate or family car but it's just so effortless behind something with a decent amount of poke and rated to 3.5T.. also the Ranger is a riot to drive like a hooligan should the desire take you. Throw a full back on it and it's now an estate with the biggest boot you'll ever see..

nilocp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2017, 15:37:19 »

Well! After much deliberation I have bought a '15 plate Volvo V70, D4, auto.

Up to now it is pretty good. Fuel about 40 around town. Not had any long runs yet, but computer suggests 50+.

Drives nice, plenty power, 180 brake, leather, good sounds, sat nav etc etc.

But not an Omega :D :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2017, 15:44:46 »

Auto is a brave choice... nice car though ;)

nilocp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2017, 15:49:17 »

Why do you say that about auto? My 3.2 MV6 was auto. Loved it!

Or do you think the Volvo box is suspect?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2017, 15:56:38 »

The diesel torque chews the box up as wwd packaging demands that they be made from cheese...

Was going to refer you to my earlier post, but Nick Ws advice in post #3 should have served as warning enough...

He was a recovery driver for several years ;)

nilocp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2017, 16:53:02 »

I had a look on the Volvo forums and nobody was saying the modern boxes are unreliable. This is the 6 speed.

And it has a long warranty :y :y

Tunnie? Boring? Yes maybe. But the last iteration of the V70 isnt so bad. By the way it came with a trilby ;D ;D

STEMO

« Reply #14 on: 27 January 2017, 17:40:41 »

I had a look on the Volvo forums and nobody was saying the modern boxes are unreliable. This is the 6 speed.

And it has a long warranty :y :y

Tunnie? Boring? Yes maybe. But the last iteration of the V70 isnt so bad. By the way it came with a trilby ;D ;D
It'll be fine.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.