Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega V6 headgasket failure?  (Read 1018 times)

fcc-pt

• Intermediate Member
  • Portugal
    • Omega B Caravan MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
Omega V6 headgasket failure?
« on: 14 September 2017, 05:24:42 »

Hi, this is a very old problem that got worse latetly. Well i can spot a white foam in the oil cap, coolant loss, excessive amount of time to get the fan down after a quick run. However, temperatures never go further than 95/96 I would say it's a bit difficult to say... no heat inside the car. New heater by pass valve has been replaced, expansion tank is fine and new expansion tank cap also new, the rad is about 5 years old. I recently realized that if I shutdown the engine before let the fan do it's job I mostly need to add water. So basically the fan is on most of time. I'm considering a quick round of tests but I would like to ear your opinion on this. Before taking any action! Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2017, 05:26:21 by fcc-pt »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Omega V6 headgasket failure?
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2017, 06:47:50 »

What year is your car?

Head gasket failure is possible, but will be evidenced by coolant loss at the rear of the 246 (drivers side to you) head.

Mayo on the oil cap is normal for repeated short journeys and/or Castrol oil and is therefore not a reliable diagnostic tool on the Omega.

Check for coolant leaks at battery end of radiator and on top of the block-remove the plenum and intake manifold for this. Also double check that the heater bypass valve hoses are fitted the correct way and are free of splits.

Test the fans for function as per the guide.

Does thee car have Aircon fitted and does this work? Not working will also affect fan behaviour.

Heater not working is likely to be a direct result of a blocked/failed heater matrix or lack of vacuum to the Hbv.

Also, from your location, I would suggest that the ambient temperature has been 35-40 degrees Celsius since April...
Onanists always think outside the box.

fcc-pt

• Intermediate Member
  • Portugal
    • Omega B Caravan MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
Re: Omega V6 headgasket failure?
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2017, 15:57:54 »

What year is your car?

Head gasket failure is possible, but will be evidenced by coolant loss at the rear of the 246 (drivers side to you) head.

I could see a bit of water in 2016 but had to replace an old hose that connects the block to the HBV...

Check for coolant leaks at battery end of radiator and on top of the block-remove the plenum and intake manifold for this. Also double check that the heater bypass valve hoses are fitted the correct way and are free of splits.

Can't spot any leaks...

Test the fans for function as per the guide.

Is there a guide for fan testing?

Does thee car have Aircon fitted and does this work? Not working will also affect fan behaviour.

It has aircon but it's not working as it should...

Heater not working is likely to be a direct result of a blocked/failed heater matrix or lack of vacuum to the Hbv.

I'm in doubt if HBV is properly connected?!? Not sure any diagrams I can rely on? I also think I have a problem with vacuum, some switches inside the car used to work last year... not anymore in particular one that closes the outside air (i think I could ear a flat noise)?!?

Also, from your location, I would suggest that the ambient temperature has been 35-40 degrees Celsius since April...

Yes I think it is "normal" but I remember it used to go around 92.5 average...
« Last Edit: 14 September 2017, 16:08:11 by fcc-pt »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.