Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tesla  (Read 4372 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Tesla
« on: 16 September 2017, 10:07:11 »

A friend has recently bought one of these, and I was horrified to learn that he can only get about 100 miles out of an overnight charge at home. While these may be the way forward - although I doubt it, and expect hydrogen will eventually be the thing - the current state of charging and charge points does not appeal. :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2017, 10:20:04 »

A friend has recently bought one of these, and I was horrified to learn that he can only get about 100 miles out of an overnight charge at home. While these may be the way forward - although I doubt it, and expect hydrogen will eventually be the thing - the current state of charging and charge points does not appeal. :-\

I agree. Electric cars have been around since the dawn of time.

Teleportation like in Star Trek would be good. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2017, 10:21:07 »

He's quite a steady driver then.  An ex-colleague lived 20 miles away, and rarely went out at lunchtime, else he wouldn't get home.  Though he did rag it a bit.

And there was the Tesla salesman at one of the electric car events at work trying to assure me I'd get 260 miles!!
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2017, 10:30:17 »

Presumably he didn't pay for the three phase charger then :-\

On the Model S the cars ability to accept a fast charge was also an option on the 60kwh version.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2017, 10:43:23 »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2017, 10:49:19 »

That charge rate is from a 3pin plug (about 22hrs to charge from empty to full). W standard 7kwh wall box, which can be installed for about £199 after discounts, or free at the moment by western power distribution would give you about 220 miles if you plug it in overnight.

Spending £50k on the car and not buying the wall box seems madness to me.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 September 2017, 11:37:13 »

That charge rate is from a 3pin plug (about 22hrs to charge from empty to full). W standard 7kwh wall box, which can be installed for about £199 after discounts, or free at the moment by western power distribution would give you about 220 miles if you plug it in overnight.

...if driven by Miss Daisy or a certain tall member here at OOF.

Probably about 40-70 miles if the legendary Tesla take off is to be exploited.

About 30 miles with a certain 'portly' admin at the wheel.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 September 2017, 11:39:38 »

...if driven by Miss Daisy or a certain tall member here at OOF.

Probably about 40-70 miles if the legendary Tesla take off is to be exploited.

About 30 miles with a certain 'portly'* admin at the wheel.

*Nice way of saying 'fat bastard' :)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2017, 11:56:42 »

Teleportation like in Star Trek would be good. :y

You have to watch out for bluebottles though!  :o  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 September 2017, 13:16:46 »

On the Model S the cars ability to accept a fast charge was also an option on the 60kwh version.

He tells me he gets a free fast charge in about 30 mins from the Tesla charge points, but he doesn't have one at home. He is somewhat wealthy, he has had a Jag, Merc and the Tesla successively in the last 5 years, so I imagine he would have taken a fast home charge option if available. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 September 2017, 13:24:15 »

He tells me he gets a free fast charge in about 30 mins from the Tesla charge points, but he doesn't have one at home. He is somewhat wealthy, he has had a Jag, Merc and the Tesla successively in the last 5 years, so I imagine he would have taken a fast home charge option if available. :y
Sounds like he didn't if he's only getting 100 miles from an overnight charge.

Supercharger takes it to something like 85% in less than an hour.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 September 2017, 13:38:16 »

The chargers can be configured to limit current to whatever the circuit can sustain, so it's possible that the sparky took the lazy option and didn't run a 32A dedicated radial for it.

.. or that Tesla's claims on range are a steaming pile of... ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 September 2017, 13:51:31 »

The chargers can be configured to limit current to whatever the circuit can sustain, so it's possible that the sparky took the lazy option and didn't run a 32A dedicated radial for it.

It'll be this option, Kevin. ::)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 September 2017, 14:02:14 »

it won't

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/07/tesla-drivers-claim-model-s-distance-record-of-670-miles-on-one-charge-elon-musk
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

2boxerdogs

« Reply #14 on: 16 September 2017, 14:06:00 »

Looked at a Tesla last weekend in London, didn't like it a bit very plasticy looking interior the front grille looks like it's been manufactured in someone's shed , afraid I will never be converted to electric cars, V8 or nothing for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.