Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Daughter's new car  (Read 6192 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Daughter's new car
« on: 16 December 2012, 22:35:33 »

No. 1 child just having moved to a new house in Kent, with access up a lane with potential for getting snowed in, has asked me for help in choosing new, second hand, vehicles for her and hubby. This is what she wants: "If you have any time or are on your forum, if you can advise about a 4wd for me - ideally diesel, not massive (ie can be car with 4wd rather than land rover type thing) and auto even better!" although I queried the need for a diesel, as she will do no more than 6k a year, and then for a second car for her house husband with good load lugging capacity, they are thinking of a Hi-lux, "but any other ideas welcome!" as she says.

All useful suggestions gratefully received, (especially about vehicle selection!) :y :y :y

dazzle72

• nottinghamshire
    • Omega 2.2 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Daughter's new car
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2012, 22:39:26 »

Subaru Forester. A mate of mine has one and it may as well have a Land Rover badge on it. He takes it all over, and its never got stuck yet. And its auto

hoody

• Intermediate Member
  • Scotland
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 16 December 2012, 22:45:48 by hoody »

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2012, 22:45:48 »

No. 1 child just having moved to a new house in Kent, with access up a lane with potential for getting snowed in, has asked me for help in choosing new, second hand, vehicles for her and hubby. This is what she wants: "If you have any time or are on your forum, if you can advise about a 4wd for me - ideally diesel, not massive (ie can be car with 4wd rather than land rover type thing) and auto even better!" although I queried the need for a diesel, as she will do no more than 6k a year, and then for a second car for her house husband with good load lugging capacity, they are thinking of a Hi-lux, "but any other ideas welcome!" as she says.

All useful suggestions gratefully received, (especially about vehicle selection!) :y :y :y

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Auto, I think they all are - engine and gearbox are Mercedes sounds a bit agricultural from outside but not inside, very comfy and all the toys you need and better on fuel than the Omega.  For best economy you need the 2.7L for some reason the later 3.0L is less power and poorer MPG.

Servicing costs not horrendous, I use a local independent, he and the MOT tester, both of whom I have know since school, were surprised by it's non utilitarian interior.... :y

Don't expect it to drive like a car though, they are like driving a barge, but fine when you get used to it and will still sit happily on the motorway at 80mph and return even better fuel consumption.....Just my opinion.... :y

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2012, 23:15:04 »

Subaru Forester is a good suggestion, I personally would choose depending on budget the Volvo V70 AWD / XC70.
I've had the joys to drive an XC70 through snow. It performed just as well as the large 4x4 vehicles and has all the luxuries and more you'd ever need.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2012, 23:26:44 »

I've got to say, at 6k a year I cannot see how she can justify a diesel... The command a premium in purchase price, especially for anything with a 4x4 option ;)

TBH, it's the wrong time of year for buying a 4WD... I should have picked up the cheap Disco I was offered in the summer as I'm seriously considering a cheap 4WD as an emergency vehicle for the winter :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2012, 23:43:56 »

I've got to say, at 6k a year I cannot see how she can justify a diesel... The command a premium in purchase price, especially for anything with a 4x4 option ;)

TBH, it's the wrong time of year for buying a 4WD... I should have picked up the cheap Disco I was offered in the summer as I'm seriously considering a cheap 4WD as an emergency vehicle for the winter :-\
[/highlight]

Swap You for your Mig, not that it is cheap....... :y :y :y

Yours is an Auto isn't it? otherwise no deal, your loss.... :D :D :D

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2012, 23:56:09 »

Golf R32 for her.
Range Rover L322 for him

Job done

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2012, 00:22:37 »

Golf R32 for her.
Range Rover L322 for him

Job done
;D yeah, NEXT ;D

Although I always thought the subaru idea was worth a look personally. Estate four wheel drive, and it's not a big car.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2012, 00:25:32 »

Golf R32 for her.
Range Rover L322 for him

Job done
;D yeah, NEXT ;D

Although I always thought the subaru idea was worth a look personally. Estate four wheel drive, and it's not a big car.

Must admit, Subaru (not Impretza) has always held some appeal for me :-\

The Passat 4Motion was reasonably capable in the snow
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2012, 00:40:49 »

I think a boat will be more useful at the moment LD!!  ;D

and yes Subaru's are vastly underestimated IMO!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2012, 05:53:02 »

There's always the Freelander.
Retired

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2012, 08:20:19 »

at 6k a year I think i would look at a Daihatsu Terios,brilliant little car and extremely capable offroad or adverse conditions,very frugal carrys 4 easily,and seats fold down in rear,while at the same time being small and easily parked for a young?lady!!

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2012, 08:24:49 »

Kia Sorento. The old man has had one from new and apart from a seized calliper it's been faultless.
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2012, 09:32:14 »

If he has to have a pick up, personally think the Isuzu or Nissan Navara far better value than a Hi-lux. For her, do they still make the Subaru Justy?
Keith B
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.