Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: What car should I buy?  (Read 26051 times)

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
Re: What car should I buy?
« Reply #15 on: 16 October 2018, 08:23:36 »

Zafira A seems to be good. Don't know of anyone who has seen a rusty one
Lots about to choose from in varies trim and engine options.
As said before, cheap parts.
And Zafs have a following with youngsters

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 October 2018, 12:14:43 »

I was surprised how rust free the Zafira A 2.0 dti elegance was we got and quite a few toys too  :) cheap parts and servicing  :y
TB has one the same ,moans about how lacking in power it is (you would compared to a Jag or omega) but he's had it a while and not blown it up or stuffed it in a wheely bin  ;D
it's a rüsselsheim opel product , same as carlton,omega

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 October 2018, 12:31:28 »

SWMBO has her second auto Jazz, doesn't do many miles, but had the first 9 years with nothing at all going wrong in 30k, and this one 4 years, 12k, ditto. Very cleverly designed car, I could do with more drivers legroom, however I'm 6'4" with long legs. :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 October 2018, 16:46:10 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BORG-BECK-HK6781-CLUTCH-KIT-PA229084C-ADAM-MERIVIA-CORSA-OMEGA-VECTRA/123371985897?epid=249794753&hash=item1cb98b1be9:g:k30AAOSwKfFbnYnp:rk:43:pf:0
This outfit buys up old stock and flogs it on. It is selling a clutch kit for an Omega 2.6 for £29.99. Would that fit my 2.2?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2018, 17:31:55 »

I have a four cylinder clutch in stock.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 October 2018, 18:26:05 »

Modern Honda, eg last 15yrs, lack reliability, unlike the older ones (which are now rust buckets).  The Koreans do well in reliability tables, if you can stand the dullness (but less dull than a Honda Jizz)

My Zaffy-A just will not rust or break down, despite my best attempts.  Its annoyingly reliable - as long as I put some electricity in it every few weeks when its unused, it just works, despite the glowplugs being sheared. Its so damn annoying.  Hopefully the new MOT rules will kill it.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 October 2018, 19:09:25 »

My Zaffy-A just will not rust or break down, despite my best attempts.  Its annoyingly reliable - as long as I put some electricity in it every few weeks when its unused, it just works, despite the glowplugs being sheared. Its so damn annoying.  Hopefully the new MOT rules will kill it.
first used on or after 1 August 1979 and before 1 July 2008
Maximum smoke value (absorption coefficient) measured under free
acceleration =3.0m-1 or plate value if lower  :y
what new rule will kill it ?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2018, 01:02:09 »

Mundano!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 October 2018, 07:40:21 »

Alongside the Omega i have a Vectra C 1.8VVT. Once brought up to scratch it's clean, safe, comfy, reliable and rust free, just has those damn annoying column stalks and cracked springs. Cracked springs are easy to sort, just don't buy OE or pattern springs when they go because they'll just go again. Replace with Eibach pro-kit, do the job once.

I also have 2 astra G's, a 1.7 CDTi which cost £420 and again needed bringing up to scratch and a EGR delete to sort out the emissions and a thorough cleaning of the inlet manifold but is otherwise fine and reliable. I also have a 1.6 twinport picked up for £250 on ebay which should cost about another £250 to finish sorting and so far has also been utterly reliable too. Rusty brake pipes and rear arches are the only non mechanical gripes.

All of them have done 100K+ miles and they all work perfectly. Nothing wrong with Vauxhalls that are properly maintained. Factor in lack of maintenance when you buy them and there's no issue.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 October 2018, 14:12:34 »

Many thanks for all the advice. Keep it coming. Jonny brought home his Omega yesterday, afraid the clutch is far gone, slipping in all the gears.
My current inclination is a petrol manual Astra, there seem to be lots on e-bay. Any models to avoid, or go for?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2018, 20:08:53 »

You're so oppsing depressing.

What does it take?  Its got that bad, its outside the house because I CBA to dump it somewhere.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2018, 20:12:46 »

I'm sorry to say, I doubt I'll be buying another Vauxhall. Being owned by Pug/Citroen is enough to put me off, add in the lack of trade club and the uninspiring line up of models and that's me out. I'm not a fan of VAG cars, the owners are enough to put me off. The over complex suspension setup and the fact that they just aren't that reliable. Also I hate offset steering, a lot of VAG cars come with this back aching feature.

Personally, I would drive a Jazz before a Golf. Although if I had a choice, I'd pick a different Honda/Toyota. In fact I've taken a like to the Honda Accord estate.
A good friend has a Honda Accord Estate; he loves it. But it cost him £10,000 against £300 for my Omega estate, and it goes wrong. Not rusting too badly though. It's a big car, and I am looking for something smaller for my family. All Cath, Jonny and Dan need is a 2 seater, easier to park and more economical.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 October 2018, 20:28:26 »

You're so oppsing depressing.

What does it take?  Its got that bad, its outside the house because I CBA to dump it somewhere.
You need something reliable in life vehicle wise
even if it will only do the speed limit  ;)
swaps with a Picasso with "new clutch & recon box" and MOT ,good tyres, sweet engine ,earplugs or i can glue the radio knob on load (so you can't hear the transmission noise)
If you have" fallen out of love" with the reliability of your cheap to run/never breaks down Zafira  :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 October 2018, 20:44:17 »

Look on the bright side TB, the EDC will die eventually or failing that you could fit a heater blower resister from ECP and stand well back.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 October 2018, 20:51:22 »

A good friend has a Honda Accord Estate; he loves it. But it cost him £10,000 against £300 for my Omega estate, and it goes wrong. Not rusting too badly though. It's a big car, and I am looking for something smaller for my family. All Cath, Jonny and Dan need is a 2 seater, easier to park and more economical.
Astra G or H, corsa C facelift  2003+ Twinport (the 1.4 z14xep is very nippy ,economical and roomy for a small car ) even a newish tigra 2004+
all good "bangernomics" if purchased well
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.