Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: 'professional drivers' .....  (Read 15394 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: 'professional drivers' .....
« Reply #105 on: 27 August 2020, 22:18:04 »

I have been in a car in the middle of the long line of trucks from the Cairnryan ferry on the A75. Had trouble keeping up with some of the Irish trucks.  ;D
Speed limiters - never heard of them.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 27 August 2020, 23:31:55 »

I think LGV,s should be banned from the right hand lane of all dual carriageways / motorways, end of.
Its bus drivers who give me the most problems though. I find many of them pig ignorant on the roads.

an old Dashcam clip of mine, but you get the idea  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljL-s2xQNE8

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 27 August 2020, 23:49:14 »

The Dutch truck overtaking (just) isn't doing anything wrong. Although a motorway it is only two lanes, so being in lane 2 is perfectly legal as it would be on a dual carriageway.

And you had no business to be overtaking either of them as you clearly intended to exit at the imminent junction.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 27 August 2020, 23:50:50 »

Not illegal but it should be.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 28 August 2020, 00:00:09 »

A truck full of stuff is a better use of the road space than a car with four people in it. And most of the cars on the motorway have fewer than that.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 28 August 2020, 00:03:00 »

Perhaps, but the insinuation was that someone was doing something wrong...

And it illustrates the point that those who most often cry foul about such things are usually annoyed that they've not been able to do the selfish thing that they were trying to do... ie car driver gets pissy because a truck has the audacity to move to lane two to pass a slower vehicle and prevents said car driver from passing both trucks in lane 2 only to have to cut back across lane 1 to the slip road.

If the truck hadn't pulled out, would we have seen a video about 'a nasty person flashed their lights and nearly rear ended me as I carved them up because I nearly overshot my exit... '? Probably not ;)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 28 August 2020, 00:23:24 »

Agree
I`ll try & find one of my bike cam vids, it took me the best part of 5 miles to weave thru traffic on the M27 to get to the head of a rolling road block caused by 2 professional drivers.
Nether of them willing to give way to the other  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 28 August 2020, 01:13:55 »

Agree
I`ll try & find one of my bike cam vids, it took me the best part of 5 miles to weave thru traffic on the M27 to get to the head of a rolling road block caused by 2 professional drivers.
Nether of them willing to give way to the other  :-\
Re read that post and ask yourself what makes you so special...  :-X

(Whilst you're at it, consider that both drivers may not be as au fait with the nuances of our Highway Code as British drivers... ((78Bex lives about 20 minutes from Portsmouth Harbour, so a significant percentage of the trucks heading to/from are foreign)) ).

Last time I drove along it, the M27 is at least three lanes along its entire length (except the M3 and M275 junctions) and currently has a 50mph limit from Fareham to the M3. So on that stretch two trucks side by side are irrelevant.

Driving isn't a race, but rather a means of getting from point A to point B. And whilst you live in a highly populated area, I would politely suggest that slow journeys are the result of traffic volume and not trucks. It is theoretically possible for me to get from my house in rural Sussex to the heart of the New Forest (including the entire length of the M27 :-X) in 45 minutes, an hour and a quarter is a realistic clear run and a poorly timed reality of traffic and road works can see nearly 2 hours. It is what it is.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 28 August 2020, 06:51:28 »

Im sure all of us have been in lane 2 or 3, part of a very long line of vehicles, stuck behind a truck which spends miles trying to overtake another truck which is travelling at 0.? mph slower than their truck is capable off.
Its a "my dick is a bit longer than yours" scenario between truck drivers which is ludicrously selfish and should have been outlawed with severe punishments a long time ago.
I worked with Truck drivers for 20 years, Ive heard all the excuses and I dont believe any of them.
Its all about this "Kings of the road" bullshit that many of them like to buy into.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 28 August 2020, 09:36:36 »

Im sure all of us have been in lane 2 or 3, part of a very long line of vehicles, stuck behind a truck which spends miles trying to overtake another truck which is travelling at 0.? mph slower than their truck is capable off.
Its a "my dick is a bit longer than yours" scenario between truck drivers which is ludicrously selfish and should have been outlawed with severe punishments a long time ago.
I worked with Truck drivers for 20 years, I've heard all the excuses and I don't believe any of them.
Its all about this "Kings of the road" bullshit that many of them like to buy into.

The unspoken side of that, your side, is "get the opps out of my way, I'm in a CAR".
Put both together, and you get the reason why I've often posted that many drivers are temprementally unsuited to being in charge of a vehicle.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 28 August 2020, 10:01:25 »

The unspoken side of that, your side, is "get the opps out of my way, I'm in a CAR".
Put both together, and you get the reason why I've often posted that many drivers are temprementally unsuited to being in charge of a vehicle.

Its a bit more nuanced than that though isn't it?

My 'favourite' stretch of road for this is the M/A42 just north of Birmingham. Two lanes each way for 25 miles all the way up to the M1. I don't think I've ever done that journey at more than 55.9x mph due to two Knights of the Road duking it out to see who's willy is the longest. This includes at least two occasions of being nearly put into the central reservation because I didn't slam on the anchors to let one out into lane 2 when I was alongside them. ::)

But, the net result is that 20 or 30 car and van drivers have their journeys delayed so that one or two HGV drivers can get their 0.05mph advantage, until the gradient changes and they lose it again. Pretty much the definition of selfish wouldn't you say?

Incidentally, there are a number of signs along that length of road that instruct no overtaking for HGVs between 7am & 7pm, which may as well be written in Chinese for all the difference they make.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 28 August 2020, 10:14:16 »

Being able to drive faster than the next person is a luxury, not a right.

Speeds are set by traffic flow and volume, not signs.

And if ANYONE thinks that they would drive any differently than any truck driver, then perhaps they should get an appropriate licence and put their money where there mouth is.

The reality of life is that you probably do one courteous thing and one really obnoxious thing every time you get in the car.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 28 August 2020, 10:41:01 »

On my last point things you do will range from letting a woman with a push chair cross the road or let someone out into a queue or give a cyclist a bit more space; and at the opposite end, run through a light just as it switches from amber to red when you could easily have stopped or pulled out at a junction when perhaps you shouldn't have and fluffed a gear change or simply been more important than the person in front (and the next person in front etc).

There's twice as many vehicles on the road compared to when I passed my test, probably, so there's even less chance of getting to the front of the queue, so why waste time and energy trying?

You, and you alone have control over your behaviour and how you react to the world around you, so rather than drive around being pissed off with everyone else take a step back and get on with your day.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 28 August 2020, 19:49:14 »

I worked with Truck drivers for 20 years, I've heard all the excuses and I don't believe any of them.

Cobblers. The unspoken side is "your truck is limited to 56mph, my car and the other 150 cars behind you arent. What right do you have to force us to do so just because your hoping your truck is 0.1mph faster than the one youve spent the last three miles trying to get past. There is no reasonable or logical argument in favour of it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 28 August 2020, 20:51:00 »

You presume that it's always a truck at the front of the queue.

Someone doing 65 in lane 3 will screw up a perfectly good four lane motorway  :-X
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.