Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humber Bridge -Tigers gonads  (Read 2973 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Humber Bridge -Tigers gonads
« on: 02 July 2018, 21:56:37 »

It is quite a few years since i went over the mighty Humber Bridge. So on my way up to Scarborough , I made a detour and went over and back just for the hell of it.

I nearly went to Hull but did not have enough time to do a visit justice. I did spend a couple of hours looking round Newark. Gosh that has changed a lot since I knew it in the 70s. There again most places have and mostly for the better.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

Re: Humber Bridge -Tigers gonads
« Reply #1 on: 02 July 2018, 22:16:13 »

I wouldn't have a clue what the centre of Liverpool looked like. Apparently, it's all been altered by a huge shopping centre called Liverpool One. I have no desire to go and see, although I would love a river cruise.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 July 2018, 22:17:58 »

I was born and lived in what is now South Yorkshire[it was the West Riding to begin with]for the first 40yrs of my life and for the past 24yrs I've lived in Scunny.In all that time I've only ever been to Hull once and that was twice too many times :D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 July 2018, 22:24:42 »

;D ;D

Do you remember all the coal slag heaps everywhere with fresh slag added. Every day and huge buldozers permanently landscaping? There is one in particular you pass on , I think, the A1M that is now overgrown with weeds.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 02 July 2018, 22:30:46 »

;D ;D

Do you remember all the coal slag heaps everywhere with fresh slag added. Every day and huge buldozers permanently landscaping? There is one in particular you pass on , I think, the A1M that is now overgrown with weeds.
There are several of these in Barnsley. The main one, in Grimethorpe, has been landscaped by the forestry commission and looks great. You can look at the scenery as you 'climb t'top of muckstack'. It certainly gets your pulse racing.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2018, 22:33:05 »

I do indeed remember slag heaps and the coal dust everywhere and worst of all the awful wail of the siren denoting a cave in down the local pit.I also remember the terrible events in Aberfan[although I only saw that on TV]

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 July 2018, 09:08:29 »

I wouldn't have a clue what the centre of Liverpool looked like. Apparently, it's all been altered by a huge shopping centre called Liverpool One. I have no desire to go and see, although I would love a river cruise.

:o :o :o :o  You live 'Up North' and you don't go to Liverpool!

I can say, as somebody from 'Down South', Liverpool is a lovely City with a wonderful mixture of old and new.  It is vibrant, with great people that is reflected in what you see in the centre, and with so many of the houses and front gardens in the suburbs; those people have pride in their City and culture.  I still have lovely memories of the old docks area, with the Albert Dock, the Liver Building and the Liverpool museum, along with the Mersey.  Just great, and one of the few places where I could happily live! 8) 8) ;)

As for Hull on the 'other side' of the country; never been there, but went close to it a few times.  Love to travel over that magnificent bridge. 8) 8)
« Last Edit: 03 July 2018, 09:10:56 by Lizzie Zoom »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2018, 10:35:39 »

Always been fond of that bridge, grown up with it just up the road. Weirdly often sort of useful when introducing myself to foreigners and you have to describe where you're from... when they've only heard of London and Glasgow that doesn't really narrow it down very much. having once the longest single span suspension bridge in the world a few miles away makes them think I'm from some great cultural engineering metropolis!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2018, 10:46:13 »

I can say, as somebody from 'Down South', Liverpool is a lovely City with a wonderful mixture of old and new.  It is vibrant, with great people that is reflected in what you see in the centre, and with so many of the houses and front gardens in the suburbs; those people have pride in their City and culture.  I still have lovely memories of the old docks area, with the Albert Dock, the Liver Building and the Liverpool museum, along with the Mersey.  Just great, and one of the few places where I could happily live! 8) 8) ;)

As for Hull on the 'other side' of the country; never been there, but went close to it a few times.  Love to travel over that magnificent bridge. 8) 8)
Of course I go to Liverpool, to see my mum. But she lives in Aintree, so I can avoid getting into the centre by taking the M57 and dropping nicely in her area.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 July 2018, 10:57:40 »

Of course I go to Liverpool, to see my mum. But she lives in Aintree, so I can avoid getting into the centre by taking the M57 and dropping nicely in her area.

I thought it was strange that you didn't :D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2018, 16:22:03 »

Ferry.....cross the Mersey? ::) ::)

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 03 July 2018, 17:16:16 »

Ferry.....cross the Mersey? ::) ::)
More like ferry around the Mersey now. It kicks off in Liverpool and cruises around for an hour or so.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 July 2018, 17:56:07 »

Lizzie, why are you always so "nice" about everywhere and everything ? C'mon, to be here you're supposed to be a cynical old sod that hates everything  ;)   ;)

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 03 July 2018, 18:00:21 »

Download the Liverpool Echo app, Lizzie, and tell me you'd still like to live in Liverpool.  ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2018, 18:11:49 »

I used to drive through it from the docks to the M62, and must admit I had no desire to stop and do the tourist thing.
That's not really the issue though, people who grow up in a certain area often love the place because of the memories it holds, regardless of its faults.
I loved Belfast in the 70,s although it was possibly the most dangerous city in the world. Now, its all changed, looks the same as any other town or city to me, and I have zero interest in the place.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 July 2018, 19:23:52 »

Lizzie, why are you always so "nice" about everywhere and everything ? C'mon, to be here you're supposed to be a cynical old sod that hates everything  ;)   ;)

;D ;D ;D No, I have lived long enough not to bear grudges, and I know that we have so much to love about the UK (and Malta :D) and it's people.  Make no mistake there are some right bastards around, but nowadays I try and rise above them being "nice" whenever possible, instead of prosecuting them whenever I could!! ;D

With Liverpool I genuinely love the place and it's people, many of whom I had the pleasure to know away from "the Pool"  8) ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 July 2018, 19:32:13 »

Download the Liverpool Echo app, Lizzie, and tell me you'd still like to live in Liverpool.  ;D

Everywhere has it's downsides, including where I live now.  But all of us should always look for the best in our communities, including my mother's family's East London! Try that if you think your Liverpool is bad ::) ;D ;D ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2018, 19:58:12 »

I loved Belfast in the 70,s although it was possibly the most dangerous city in the world.

I imagine Beirut and Basra have nothing on Belfast in the height of the "troubles"! :o

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 July 2018, 21:08:14 »

It could be a bit dodgy at times.  ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 July 2018, 11:05:30 »

It is quite a few years since i went over the mighty Humber Bridge. So on my way up to Scarborough , I made a detour and went over and back just for the hell of it.

I nearly went to Hull but did not have enough time to do a visit justice. I did spend a couple of hours looking round Newark. Gosh that has changed a lot since I knew it in the 70s. There again most places have and mostly for the better.

Hull has changed immensely over the last 20 years or so.
The old town is genuinely a very nice place to walk around with its history, some cracking old world pubs, restaurants and small shops.
The museum quarter is first class by any standard and you could easily spend a day or two just looking around it with the added bonus that entrance is free  :y
The Deep (which is a bloody big fish tank with a elevator through the middle) is brilliant for all ages and reasonably priced  :y
The marina area is as good as anywhere in the country on a sunny day
If you like the theatre, the Hull Theatre has just been gutted and rebuilt and you get some first class shows on now as I can vouch for  :-X :y
20 years late but we even have a few hotels here now which ain't badly priced.

And last but not least, unlike places "darn sarf", you can afford to come / live here ( and that includes food and beer  :D)
« Last Edit: 04 July 2018, 11:09:16 by tigers_gonads »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 July 2018, 11:16:47 »

Yep. One day we will spend a day or perhaps a weekend there.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2018, 11:23:17 »

Hull has changed immensely over the last 20 years or so.
The old town is genuinely a very nice place to walk around with its history, some cracking old world pubs, restaurants and small shops.
The museum quarter is first class by any standard and you could easily spend a day or two just looking around it with the added bonus that entrance is free  :y
The Deep (which is a bloody big fish tank with a elevator through the middle) is brilliant for all ages and reasonably priced  :y
The marina area is as good as anywhere in the country on a sunny day
If you like the theatre, the Hull Theatre has just been gutted and rebuilt and you get some first class shows on now as I can vouch for  :-X :y
20 years late but we even have a few hotels here now which ain't badly priced.

And last but not least, unlike places "darn sarf", you can afford to come / live here ( and that includes food and beer  :D)

Ages ago (? 80s) I used to go there on business, and quite frankly it was a shithole. Driving around was like a scene from Blade Runner, but not as cheerful. It was a case of go, do what I needed to do, and get out again.

Years later Son was considering it for University. So off we went for the open day visit, stayed overnight and took time to look around. Very changed, and actually very nice ! He didn't go there he chose Sheffield, but that's another story.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.