Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Secondary air injection system removal  (Read 1776 times)

Stev0

• South Africa
    • Omega B 3.0
    • View Profile
Secondary air injection system removal
« on: 07 February 2020, 20:43:12 »

It's in the way and it needs to go.

First prize is to remove it completely and blank off right at the exhaust flange, but access is proving a problem, so new plan is to keep the 2x pipes in place, blank them off where they tie into the center portion, and rip out the rest..

1. From there, the center portion goes from its silver canister to a single plastic vaccuum assisted valve. Can I chuck this out completely, or does it need to stay plugged in to keep the management happy?
2. I haven't traced the pipe beyond the valve yet, but I believe there's a pump somewhere in the system too.. Once again, can I bin the whole thing or does something need to stay plugged in?

Thanks in advance

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary air injection system removal
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2020, 20:44:10 »

As per your basically the same post elsewhere...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Stev0

• South Africa
    • Omega B 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2020, 20:47:50 »

As per your basically the same post elsewhere...

So you're saying these components need to stay plugged in? I read somewhere that the pump can be unplugged without causing problems.

I'd really like to physically remove as much as possible.

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2020, 00:54:46 »

I disconnected the pump on my 2.5 estate as it was making a hell of a noise. and it never made a difference to the way it ran at all.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 February 2020, 10:28:50 »

I removed both the EGR and SAI on my X30 when I fitted the later 3.2 exhaust manifolds which don't use it.

I turned a small stepped bung to fit the EGR valve, and secured it with the nut cut off the now redundant connecting pipe; this was less work than making a blanking plate between the valve and the inlet plenum. You can completely remove the valve if you replace it with a cheater circuit so the ECU thinks it's still there, I intended to do this, but never got around to it.

Similarly, deleting the SAI requires the actuating solenoid(on the radiator, near the battery) to remain connected electrically only; everything else can go in the bin, which removes a lot of clutter at the front of the engine. This requires blanking the exhaust manifolds which is slightly more work than just plugging the tubes, but it is well worth doing. There's a large air filter box in front of the NSF wheel which you can also remove.

If you're keeping the original manifolds, there's no point in buggering about with the EGR. The SAI is slightly more worthwhile as it makes servicing the front of the engine much easier, and both the pump and oneway valve do fail occasionally.

There are no noticable performance gains of any sort from removing either system.
« Last Edit: 08 February 2020, 10:34:14 by Nick W »

Stev0

• South Africa
    • Omega B 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2020, 08:17:57 »

I removed both the EGR and SAI on my X30 when I fitted the later 3.2 exhaust manifolds which don't use it.

I turned a small stepped bung to fit the EGR valve, and secured it with the nut cut off the now redundant connecting pipe; this was less work than making a blanking plate between the valve and the inlet plenum. You can completely remove the valve if you replace it with a cheater circuit so the ECU thinks it's still there, I intended to do this, but never got around to it.

Similarly, deleting the SAI requires the actuating solenoid(on the radiator, near the battery) to remain connected electrically only; everything else can go in the bin, which removes a lot of clutter at the front of the engine. This requires blanking the exhaust manifolds which is slightly more work than just plugging the tubes, but it is well worth doing. There's a large air filter box in front of the NSF wheel which you can also remove.

If you're keeping the original manifolds, there's no point in buggering about with the EGR. The SAI is slightly more worthwhile as it makes servicing the front of the engine much easier, and both the pump and oneway valve do fail occasionally.

There are no noticable performance gains of any sort from removing either system.

Thanks for the feedback..

The purpose of the exercise is to clear up the cluttered engine bay, make the engine more accessible in general. I do intend on having custom headers made for the engine at a later stage, so this all leads up to an easier install once that come to fruition.

For now my number 1 priority is to replace the timing belt and associated parts, and if I can win some space by gutting out non-essential items in the process, I'm already ahead.

I will simply reconnect the EGR and SAI on the harness, and cable-tie them as far out of the way as possible.

Regards

Steveh

• Debyshire UK
    • Omega 2L 16V
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2020, 11:33:04 »

Hi Im about to do bagpipe removal surgery today on a 2l 16v im planning to tap out the holes and stick a couple of bolts in. Is this the usual way people do this ?.Been struggling to get through emissions and while it was on gas tester at MOT managed to mess around to see if i could find anything that changed the high CO found if i squashed the rubber pipe and blocked it CO went down not quite enough to pass though .I think nonreturn is leaking as pipe hot and pulsing but dont understand how this could change CO readings. Since then I found a vacuum pipe off at back of engine got to take it for retest later.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.