Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New long term Mig  (Read 1126 times)

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
New long term Mig
« on: 12 November 2019, 17:41:23 »

Hi All,

I posted a short hello in the newbie area a couple of days ago as I've just picked up a 2003 2.6 CDX in Nocturne blue with cream leather. A lovely combo, I think.
I asked a couple of general questions there and got some useful replies, but I realise any specific questions should probably go here, so I've added a bit more.

Over the next few months I am planning to mostly DIY the vehicle into tip-top shape and will shortly be posting a few wanted ads on here for parts I would like. Some are cosmetic, I would like a saloon boot spoiler for example, but other items are service items and certain spares that might be worth squirrelling away while I still can.
If anyone has any suggestions on critical parts to get that might be much more difficult to get in the future, I would be interested to hear opinions.
I think it likely that Omegas will virtually disappear from our roads in very short order and I wonder how difficult it might be to get a coil pack or a crankshaft sensor. I don't want to go crazy and end up with a dismantled car in my garage but how many new parts are going to be available for a car like the Omega in 10 years? I honestly have no idea, but i'm hoping that someone with more experience than me might have been through a similar experience with another model in the past.

I would also like to ask advise on what to check. There is not a lot of apparent rust although the bottom of the rear doors near the end of the sills has got some. I haven't been able to check the front chassis rails, which is one area I want to properly check out.  :-X There are no corrosion advisories on any of the previous MOT's. I changed the cam belt and water pump on my last 2.6 so I am planning to do that next summer. It has done about 20K since it was last changed (checked with the garage) but that was 5 years ago.

One thing is certain, other than my own new car, I haven't seen another omega on the road in Shropshire in over 6 months.

Graham.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: New long term Mig
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2019, 17:56:03 »

Hello and welcome to OOF.

Before you spend any money on anything else I would suggest you check the front chassis legs (be brutal), the rear arm mounting point / rear seat belt mounting point area and take the sill covers off to examine the outer sills.

If all above sound then congratulations, now time to plan what needs refreshing. Depending on mileage you may want to look at a suspension refresh
... If so do everything because the car will need a full Geo by someone who understands the Omega requirements properly - Wheels in Motion for example.

Ask lots of questions on here, most of us have run these cars for a long time now and between us all we've probably seen and done most repairs that an Omega can throw at you!

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2019, 18:43:10 »

HI VXL V6

Thanks for your response.
I didn't pay a lot for the car, so I took a calculated risk. The car looks great and runs really well but if it turns out to be a duffer, then it's not a disaster. Obviously, I really would prefer it if that were not the case. Cosmetics seem to cost the money and seem like a dark art to me. Mechanics I can do with a bit of time and mostly I quite enjoy. I'm half expecting the end of the sills to be at least a little bit rusty, but from reading on here they are not that difficult to do. I have a MIG welder and plenty of time. The chassis legs are a different matter and they do worry me a bit. Can you offer any advice on exactly where to check? If it is a bit crusty, can it be welded? I know from working on air cooled beetles that some suspension unit repairs are automatic MOT failures even if they appear to be well done.

Moving on to the suspension re-fresh. This is something that I would very much like to do. My first 2.5 CDX Omega 60K when I got it drove brilliantly. It was really quite agile. My second a 2.6 CDX was an unbelievable boat. This new one is somewhat closer to the first, but I'm sure can be improved. If I go down that path, I will certainly do the WIM thing. I need to ensure the car has genuine long term potential before I spend that money.

Cheers,

Graham

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2019, 19:03:14 »

Quick answer to chassis legs question, if you put the front up in the air and whip the front wheels off then look where the engine subframe / cradle bolts into the leg you'll see a strengthening plate, have a scrape / gouge / stab around its edges and see how solid it is.

They can be repaired, the question is how far do you want to go - engine out? Clean / cut back and plate? The concern is structural integrity in a frontal crash. One of my cars has had a the latter repair done, the other one was caught early enough....

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2019, 19:12:37 »

Hi Graham.

Enjoy driving it. I have two pre-facelift 2.5 Elites and both are still going. I have done all the mechanics and welding myself over the years.

Removing the sill covers is a definite as well as a careful examination of the front chassis legs as suggested. Also take out the spare wheel and have a look at the bottom of the wheel well for rust.

I would take the car to a "friendly" garage and ask them to get it up on a car lift so that you can have a good look underneath.

Checking out the exhaust system from catalysts to the back.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.