Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermittent xenon dipped beam  (Read 3053 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Intermittent xenon dipped beam
« on: 03 December 2016, 09:34:54 »

2.2 petrol manual CDX
Checking out son Jonny's car, n/s dipped beam was not working. He says he gets a message occasionally telling him it is is not on. I had the battery out when he told me this. I put battery back, checked it again, and it came on, full brightness.

Is this likely to be a failing bulb sympton, or something else?.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent xenon dipped beam
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2016, 09:45:10 »

Check the plug to the ballast unit is secure ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2016, 10:23:50 »

If the bulbs have a purple tinge, then suspect bulbs.  The bulbs and ballasts can be swapped side to side to prove faulty component - although to see where all the screws are, you need remove battery and airbox.
Grumpy old man

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2016, 19:45:39 »

I know the bottom screw holding the headlamp unit in place can be difficult to access (and replace), but I've found that removing the whole unit from the car and unplugging everything whilst holding it clear, is easier than removing the battery - there seems to be enough slack in my looms to allow this, and saves having to disturb anything else.

As an additional tip for refitting bottom screw - I use a small flexible extension with the screw and washer secured with a bit of sticky tape, then once the screw has gripped the chassis insert it is easy enough to pull away, and saves losing the screw on a ledge.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2016, 09:42:35 »

I know the bottom screw holding the headlamp unit in place can be difficult to access (and replace), but I've found that removing the whole unit from the car and unplugging everything whilst holding it clear, is easier than removing the battery - there seems to be enough slack in my looms to allow this, and saves having to disturb anything else.

As an additional tip for refitting bottom screw - I use a small flexible extension with the screw and washer secured with a bit of sticky tape, then once the screw has gripped the chassis insert it is easy enough to pull away, and saves losing the screw on a ledge.
Thanks for tips. TB recommends removing the front bumper to further facilitate removing the bottom screw. I have done it your way in the past, bu,as you say, it.that bottom bolt is tricky.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2016, 09:56:23 »

Thanks for tips. TB recommends removing the front bumper to further facilitate removing the bottom screw. I have done it your way in the past, bu,as you say, it.that bottom bolt is tricky.
Pesh... ::) on facelifts, simply pop out the trim, then use a magnetic 8mm socket to undo and remove the lower bolt :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2016, 09:58:00 »

I'll bet Halfords won't change this bulb for £5. I removed the battery to gain access, still could not see the bulb, so found an old headlight to play with. The bulb is beneath a cover held on by 3 female torx screws. To disengage the bulb holder from the light unit I relesed a bayonet connector, then out came the bulb in holder on a lead. I did not discover how to remove the bulb from its holder, please advise.

I had earlier discovered that the light ignites 9 times out of 10, bit like a fluorescent light. At this point son wanted to be off, so I reassembled everything and sent him on his way. I did check the plug to the ballast unit, thanks Doc, that was OK.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 December 2016, 09:59:24 »

Bulb is held in by a collar, rotate and it will release :y

All alot easier off the car ;)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 December 2016, 13:28:09 »

Pesh... ::) on facelifts, simply pop out the trim, then use a magnetic 8mm socket to undo and remove the lower bolt :y
I think the part that prevented me from getting the lights out at the first attempt was not knowing that I had to push the centre of the plastic rivet out before the trim would come off.

I have tried taking battery and airbox out but still been unable to get my hands in to change a bulb - I can get a headlight out quicker than I can get either battery or airbox out (know that I know how)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 December 2016, 13:38:58 »

I don't have small hands, but find it's just possible to change bulbs without having to remove either the battery or the airbox. I do find it easier to remove those than the lamp if trying to diagnose worse problems than defective bulbs. Removing the bumper to get the lamps out is just making work for yourself; the only tricky bit is the bottom bolt, and a tight fitting socket on a long extension deals with that.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 December 2016, 14:49:47 »

If you've never done it before, removing battery and airbox (lets face it, 2 or 3 minutes work), makes the job much easier to visually see what you need to do, as the HIDs need 3 torx and a fiddly clip.

As to bumper, its pretty essential on PFL/MFL Elites and MV6, as the washers are in the way.  On any others, assuming the screws aren't corroded, its 10 mins max to remove bumper and have a cup of tea, so its a personal decision if that time is worthwhile against the hassle of dropping that bolt.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 December 2016, 21:46:27 »

Thanks again, Doc. As you say, both bulb holder and bulb in holder are located by clockwise bayonet fittings. And both will only go in one way round. I have just spent a happy hour removing and replacing the HID bulb in the headlamp from my spares heap. I shall do the job with headlamp off the car. Meanwhile, son and car have returned home to Chippenham, so I shall not replace the bulb today. Nevertheless, I now know how to do the job and that I have a spare bulb.

Are HID bulbs in principle similar to domestic fluorescent Bulbs?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 December 2016, 21:56:03 »

Thanks again, Doc. As you say, both bulb holder and bulb in holder are located by clockwise bayonet fittings. And both will only go in one way round. I have just spent a happy hour removing and replacing the HID bulb in the headlamp from my spares heap. I shall do the job with headlamp off the car. Meanwhile, son and car have returned home to Chippenham, so I shall not replace the bulb today. Nevertheless, I now know how to do the job and that I have a spare bulb.

Are HID bulbs in principle similar to domestic fluorescent Bulbs?
Sort of....

Both are 'discharge tubes' but fluorescent tubes use heated electrodes to reduce the voltage required to strike an arc.

HIDs are cold cathode discharge tubes and need thousands of volts to strike an arc (hence the ballast pack and warning stickers)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2016, 07:40:23 »

On the f/l cars, I used to remove the lower h/lamp trim and use some grease on the socket for the lower bolt. Worked for me every time

Keith aBS

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2016, 08:34:31 »

I have removed and replaced both headlights on my F/L Elite numerous times for various jobs.

Never ever have I removed the bumper/airbox or battery .

Open bonnet and either side of the under headlight trim is a small car colour grommet which simple prises out.2 # 10mm bolts are visible on the top headlight securing lugs and 1 is hidden through the gap between the bottom of the headlight and where the trim has been removed.Find that easier to remove with a thin 1/4 drive extension and a deep 10mm 1/4 socket as that fits neatly under the headlight.Trick putting that bolt/screw back in is to secure it to the socket..I use a small blob of bluetack which holds it tight enough just to get the tread started.

Headlight assembly will then pull forward from the car and electrical plugs can be disconnected and headlight removed to work on.

I recon its a 10 minute job at the most to remove each side and depending on how the bottom bolt/screw goes back on refit a similar time .

Safety first though and remove battery earth and leave for a good 30 minutes before touching anything headlight related to ensure no stored charge. 
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 23 queries.