Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Bimbo Brains  (Read 11987 times)

STEMO

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Bimbo Brains
« Reply #31 on: 12 July 2019, 19:33:50 »

Having retrieved the Battlebus this morning, I parked it on the road outside my house.  Now our road might not be very busy, but its also not very wide.

So Bimbo Brains, the daughter of the woman who lives nearly opposite, has just arrived home, and parked outside her house, essentially blocking the road.

What goes through the minds of Gen Z people?  FFS

Its our fault, this is the society with bred and cultured  >:(

How incoderate...

..that she didn't put her hazard 'I know I'm inconsiderately parked & have blocked the road, but I'm far too important to worry about trifles like that' lights on. ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 July 2019, 20:07:03 »

It's worth remembering that women's brains are four ounces lighter than men's, so it wasn't really her fault, poor dear!

Ron.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 July 2019, 20:48:24 »

It's worth remembering that women's brains are four ounces lighter than men's, so it wasn't really her fault, poor dear!

Ron.
Paging Lizzie?  ;D ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 July 2019, 09:19:49 »

Ron.
We've gone METRIC now Ron ,it was in the papers  :y
The 114 Grams they lack is only the common sense and logic parts ,nothing important  :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 July 2019, 10:38:26 »

And here's our next scandal in this greedy, money oriented sector. From the bbc news:

The proportion of students in England awarded first-class degrees continues to increase - rising by 80% since 2010-11, the university watchdog says.
The Office for Students, warning of grade inflation, says for almost three-quarters of universities such increases in top grades are "unexplained".
The University of Surrey increased its proportion awarded first-class degrees from 23% to 47% of students.
Education Secretary Damian Hinds warned against "unfair practices".
"Worries about grade inflation threaten to devalue a university education in the eyes of employers and potential students," said Susan Lapworth, director of competition for the Office for Students.

The degree itself has become worthless*, in that everybody has them now, so can't really be used as a method to paper sift.  I suspect the same has started to happen to 1st's.

*Only essential, because they are so common, you need one to get an interview even in industries that have never needed them before, such as retail and so on
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 July 2019, 10:39:40 »

Ron.
Her tits probably make up for it
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 July 2019, 20:02:28 »

That's right, just doing your fu£king job seems to be worthy of an award these days.  >:(.

Quite common within the establishment/public sector/military where all the senior civil servants get knighthoods and some get peerages.  ::)

An old school mate of mine joined the navy at 18 as an officer cadet and left at 45 with the rank of Commander, an OBE, a big fat pension and even his kids school fees paid up until they left school!  :y 

What did he do to get his OBE?  ???  His job!  ;D

Assuming he served for 27 years, its only about 33K. Not exactly a fortune these days, and perhaps he did a good job serving his country, almost certainly seeing combat in one or more of our many skirmishes over the past 40 odd years. Good on him, and those like him who are willing to put their lives on the line for the rest of us. :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 July 2019, 21:49:17 »

While I don't doubt those who serve our country deserve recognition. To say an annuity of £33k isnt much is a bit strong. Outside of the public sector, you'd want the best part of £750k to buy that pension, and that's without index linking, spousal benefits and all the other niceties the public sector chuck around like they're freebies.

On the open market you'd probably have to have getting on £850k to buy the equivalent. Takes some saving on "only" 27yrs.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 July 2019, 22:46:46 »

Ron.
Her tits probably make up for it
[/quote
]
This comment is worthless without pictures.. ;)
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 July 2019, 01:53:53 »

That's right, just doing your fu£king job seems to be worthy of an award these days.  >:(.

Quite common within the establishment/public sector/military where all the senior civil servants get knighthoods and some get peerages.  ::)

An old school mate of mine joined the navy at 18 as an officer cadet and left at 45 with the rank of Commander, an OBE, a big fat pension and even his kids school fees paid up until they left school!  :y 

Assuming he served for 27 years, its only about 33K. Not exactly a fortune these days, and perhaps he did a good job serving his country, almost certainly seeing combat in one or more of our many skirmishes over the past 40 odd years. Good on him, and those like him who are willing to put their lives on the line for the rest of us. :y

I'm not slagging my mate off Shack and you are right, I'm sure he has put his life on the line at times during his naval career. He was a naval diver and worked in the RN bomb disposal team for a while, so doubtless during that part of his career was in some dicey situations above and below sea level. During the Iraq war he commanded a flotilla of minesweepers in the gulf and no doubt saw action there. So he had a very successful career, but at the end of the day he got the OBE for doing his job!  :)

As to his pension, I'll take your figure of £33k and if he lives to 85 his pension pot is worth £1.3 million, which as Jimmy points out is very generous. A quick Google though suggests that the salary of a RN Commander is between £85-95k and given he joined about 1986, I'd have thought his pension would be more than £33k.  :-\  Nor can I think of many jobs where your employer will pay for your kids private education!  ;)

However, you're a military man and I'm not so I accept you know more about this sort of thing than me. :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14 July 2019, 08:40:33 »

I don't begrudge any of our forces personnel their pensions.one of my sons-in-law joined the army as a boy soldier and retired in his mid thirties during his "stint" he did at least 3 tours in N.ireland was in the Falklands,Desert Storm and Afghanistan[these are the ones I know of]however O.B.E.s/Knighthoods-deserved or not- seem to get scattered about like confetti to all and sundry these days.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 14 July 2019, 10:23:47 »

While I don't doubt those who serve our country deserve recognition. To say an annuity of £33k isnt much is a bit strong. Outside of the public sector, you'd want the best part of £750k to buy that pension, and that's without index linking, spousal benefits and all the other niceties the public sector chuck around like they're freebies.

On the open market you'd probably have to have getting on £850k to buy the equivalent. Takes some saving on "only" 27yrs.
I agree on all counts.  £33k is an absolute pipe dream for me, even including my, now frozen, 15yrs of DB pension. Despite the very high percentage I pay into my DC pensions.

The general view on (pure annuity only) pots is for each £100k of savings gives around £3-4k of annual pension for someone my age (sub 50) with an estimated retirement age of 67.  So for £33k, I'd need a pot of just over £1m.  And a near decade of global recession, and another generation of low growth due to all the EU snafu, investments aren't likely to grow, so it has to be pure savings.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 14 July 2019, 11:10:34 »

I'm not slagging my mate off Shack and you are right, I'm sure he has put his life on the line at times during his naval career. He was a naval diver and worked in the RN bomb disposal team for a while, so doubtless during that part of his career was in some dicey situations above and below sea level. During the Iraq war he commanded a flotilla of minesweepers in the gulf and no doubt saw action there. So he had a very successful career, but at the end of the day he got the OBE for doing his job!  :)

As to his pension, I'll take your figure of £33k and if he lives to 85 his pension pot is worth £1.3 million, which as Jimmy points out is very generous. A quick Google though suggests that the salary of a RN Commander is between £85-95k and given he joined about 1986, I'd have thought his pension would be more than £33k.  :-\  Nor can I think of many jobs where your employer will pay for your kids private education!  ;)

However, you're a military man and I'm not so I accept you know more about this sort of thing than me. :y

Point taken on the pension, although personally I don't think you can put a price on what some of our servicemen went through - I do not include myself here, I served during the cold war and never saw a shot fired - but I do agree with the principle of awards degradation. Sir Andy Murray! for playing a game he loves, and earns £M for doing so. Dame Judy Dench! for being a celebrity actOR, and also earning £M. I have no problem with your mate, who sounds like a brave and competent man, getting his, no doubt well deserved, OBE. :y

STEMO

« Reply #44 on: 14 July 2019, 11:11:00 »

I couldn't help noticing how much my wife's pension increased over the last seven years of service. It creeps up slowly to age 60, when she would get an annual pension of £38000 and a lump sum of £49000. Then it jumps up quite dramatically, £44,500@62, £52,600@64 and £68,000@67. The lump sum stays the same as that is part of the, now closed, final salary.

Please explain, Jimmy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.