Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric wing mirrors  (Read 3424 times)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
Electric wing mirrors
« on: 16 January 2019, 19:49:27 »

I bought a bmw x3 with electric everything :-X anyway i knew when i bought it the drivers side mirror would not tilt or fold away. That didnt bother me as the passenger side one did , also the passenger one tilted down when put in reverse. That has now stopped working as well. The windows on both sides still work off the drivers switch. Could somebody tell me is they a way of testing the wireing to the mirrors without have to strip the door down. There is only one fuse so i cant see it being that as 1 was workkng.
I do have a multi meter but dont really know how to use it, so would need to know what to switch it to and what i would expect ghe results to be.
 I spoke to local garage and they want £78 a hour to try and identify whats wrong.

Any help would be appreciate.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Electric wing mirrors
« Reply #1 on: 16 January 2019, 20:16:15 »

Any noise or evidence of attempted working on either mirror when the mirror controls are used? If no, then peel back the rubber tube on the door hinges and look for breakages.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 January 2019, 20:28:01 »

No noise or sign off movement

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2019, 21:15:05 »

Any noise or evidence of attempted working on either mirror when the mirror controls are used? If no, then peel back the rubber tube on the door hinges and look for breakages. 

A Merc tends to break wiring where the mirror itself folds rather than the main harness to the door .....

but I guess yo already knew that  ::)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2019, 23:35:13 »

I bought a bmw x3 with electric everything :-X anyway i knew when i bought it the drivers side mirror would not tilt or fold away. That didnt bother me as the passenger side one did , also the passenger one tilted down when put in reverse. That has now stopped working as well.................

You may already have done so but just check that the mirror selection switch is set to drivers mirror as auto tilt passenger mirror when reversing only works in this position on a beemer.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2019, 05:34:58 »

Any noise or evidence of attempted working on either mirror when the mirror controls are used? If no, then peel back the rubber tube on the door hinges and look for breakages. 

A Merc tends to break wiring where the mirror itself folds rather than the main harness to the door .....

but I guess yo already knew that  ::)
Manual fold on mine :P
Onanists always think outside the box.

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2019, 08:41:10 »

First thing I did was check the switch was in the right position.
All the functions have just stopped working. I need to find a way of checking the mirror switches to see if the switches are faulty or it's the mirror motors have died

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2019, 10:42:34 »

All the functions have just stopped working. I need to find a way of checking the mirror switches to see if the switches are faulty or it's the mirror motors have died
Take it to a dealer. They shouldn't charge you any more than £300 to diagnose the fault.  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2019, 10:56:39 »

STEMO is being his usual self, but if you can get it on to a BMW diagnostic machine that will tell you if the fault is motor, feedback circuit (potentiometers) or switch.. or if it says both motor & pots then it's likely a wiring fault.

Otherwise you're down to belling out each wire in the harness and checking for breakages.

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2019, 11:00:51 »

STEMO is being his usual self, but if you can get it on to a BMW diagnostic machine that will tell you if the fault is motor, feedback circuit (potentiometers) or switch.. or if it says both motor & pots then it's likely a wiring fault.

Otherwise you're down to belling out each wire in the harness and checking for breakages.
Whadderya mean, me usual self? Helpful and practical, I hope.  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2019, 11:02:26 »

Whadderya mean, me usual self? Helpful and practical, I hope.  :)

Absolutely  :y :-X

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2019, 12:41:44 »

Total confused now. Went out this morning and I thought I would give it a try. I moved the selector switch a couple of times and all of a sudden the drivers side started working again.

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 17 January 2019, 13:00:35 »

Total confused now. Went out this morning and I thought I would give it a try. I moved the selector switch a couple of times and all of a sudden the drivers side started working again.
Why confused? That narrows it down to the switch.

STEMO

« Reply #13 on: 17 January 2019, 13:04:44 »

And, as the power runs through the switch to both mirrors, replacing the switch may cure the fault altogether.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 January 2019, 13:30:00 »

Years ago, the driver's mirror on my Omega would move to its setting on the memory button, however if I pressed it again, the mirror would move again to another position. Cleaning up the contacts at various plugs sorted it.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 21 queries.