Author Topic: Diesel  (Read 1783 times)

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • :( nowt
    • View Profile
Diesel
« on: 25 August 2015, 11:01:02 »

I have never owned one and for some reason which I can't explain can't see myself owning one soon. I know modern diesels are much better than they used to be but still  :-\

Are the running costs more?
Do they still cost more to buy than equivalent petrol models?
Fall in diesel prices, is this long term?

mka306

Re: Diesel
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2015, 11:03:54 »

Diesel cars are very good for low down punch, great economy and long lasting engines, they are not to everyone's taste but there is nout wrong with a good diesel mate.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2015, 11:06:09 »

I know, I know

But I just don't like them. Maybe because they sound like a tractor? Again modern ones probably don't suffer from this

mka306

« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2015, 11:08:32 »

Funny thing is I just bought a 635d bmw and I couldn't hear the tractor sound at all, in fact it pulled better than my gtc vxr I had last year.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2015, 12:19:47 »

I have a 435d which neither sounds like or goes like a tractor.  :y

0-60mph in 4.9'ish and limited to 155mph is quite some tractor.  ;D  Driven sensibly can see around 50mpg as well.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

mka306

« Reply #5 on: 25 August 2015, 12:28:07 »

0-60mph in 4.9'ish and limited to 155mph is quite some tractor.  ;D  Driven sensibly can see around 50mpg as well.  :y

They are a nice motor, my brother has just bought the new 335d and I drove that before trying the 635d and I thought that was smooth as silk and effortless power. The 635d is bigger inside and as I'm 6'6" tall I need more room and it's ooooo comfy to drive the 6 series.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 August 2015, 12:42:40 »

They are a nice motor, my brother has just bought the new 335d and I drove that before trying the 635d and I thought that was smooth as silk and effortless power. The 635d is bigger inside and as I'm 6'6" tall I need more room and it's ooooo comfy to drive the 6 series.

I'm 6ft5, so good to know on the height  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 August 2015, 12:50:42 »

Been there, done the diesel thing, more than once and to be honest, if you need a workhorse and your cracking out tons of miles every week, then there job done, but having said that once you get the LPG bug in your system on a decent petrol motor it does make you wonder whether your ever do the diesel thing again.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 August 2015, 13:04:13 »

I just don't trust modern diesels, DPF filters, injector set's, high pressure fuel pumps and turbo's etc are £1k each if they go wrong and diagnosics can be a nightmare. High mileage and as a company/lease car maybe they work out but for smallish mileages they are a ridiculous option. Older/simpler diesel sheds make a good option for a cheap runaround mind! 
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2015, 13:26:26 »

The only real issue with modern diesels are the DPFs and that's a driving style challenge.

Diesel makes a lot of sense when doing big miles, doing short journeys its a fools fuel.

mka306

« Reply #10 on: 25 August 2015, 13:56:23 »

call me a fool and slap a sticker on, I'm happy.

SMD

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 August 2015, 14:03:24 »

The only real issue with modern diesels are the DPFs and that's a driving style challenge.

Diesel makes a lot of sense when doing big miles, doing short journeys its a fools fuel.

This is a contributing factor for me living in London cant commute anywhere by car and the huge bills mentioned + DPF. Given my current annual mileage V8 can be justified but I wouldn't like to pay £500 tax annually 

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #12 on: 25 August 2015, 15:06:54 »

Our BM's suffer terribly from DPF faults due to the style of driving - short trips, standing idle for a long time then getting hammered. One car can get through about 4-5 a year  :o Never seen any pump or injector faults on the newer ones, the older ones we had saw 1 injector fault that I can remember on a '60 plate and that was after 175k.
Our 'old soldier' the unmarked black one we had on a '61 plate has just been retired with a blown engine at 230k. Its been sat at HQ now for over 6 months as they can't decide what to do with it. £4000 for a new engine + they'll only get that for it at auction  :-\ :-\ :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.