Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TPMS batteries  (Read 3312 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: TPMS batteries
« Reply #15 on: 29 February 2020, 11:56:00 »

I think in the old days people would put air in their tyres when they needed to.

However, these days nanny knows best and tells you of problems that don't actually exist.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 February 2020, 12:30:49 »

The Audi has TPMS based on wheel rotation speed, but as I purchased a full car + caravan set when I had the omega I still use the pressure based system from tyrepal ... as it does car and caravan ....  and it has proved to be far more accurate than the audi system  :) batteries in the "senders" last about 2 years and take less then 5 minutes to change   :)
I'm guessing that wheels need rebalancing after fitment?
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 February 2020, 15:27:34 »

The Audi has TPMS based on wheel rotation speed, but as I purchased a full car + caravan set when I had the omega I still use the pressure based system from tyrepal ... as it does car and caravan ....  and it has proved to be far more accurate than the audi system  :) batteries in the "senders" last about 2 years and take less then 5 minutes to change   :)

Nope, tyrepal system works like a valve cap. Major reason for purchase was to know what was happening with the tin tent after an incident on the M5 which could have been extremely serious, but luckily for us was just an annoyance... never been so grateful for a traffic jam in my life !! OK needed a full recovery of both car and 'van by greenflag which seemed to take forever .. but better to happen stationary than at the 60 mph I was doing 5 minutes previous!!  :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 February 2020, 17:01:57 »

I think in the old days people would put air in their tyres when they needed to.

However, these days nanny knows best and tells you of problems that don't actually exist.

Correct me lud :y

Bit like auto-wipers, and auto headlights, how did we survive driving death traps like marina TC, or mini 850.
Hoof'land storeman.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 February 2020, 19:04:21 »

Nope, tyrepal system works like a valve cap. Major reason for purchase was to know what was happening with the tin tent after an incident on the M5 which could have been extremely serious, but luckily for us was just an annoyance... never been so grateful for a traffic jam in my life !! OK needed a full recovery of both car and 'van by greenflag which seemed to take forever .. but better to happen stationary than at the 60 mph I was doing 5 minutes previous!!  :)
But surely each module is far heavier than a dust cap? Hence the rebalance query.

I'd guess a dust cap is around 2g, and any transponder with a small battery must be at least 10g.

Following her blowout on the motorway last year, I am looking for potential options, so have a keen interest in your experiences :)
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 February 2020, 19:13:26 »

But surely each module is far heavier than a dust cap? Hence the rebalance query.

I'd guess a dust cap is around 2g, and any transponder with a small battery must be at least 10g.

Following her blowout on the motorway last year, I am looking for potential options, so have a keen interest in your experiences :)

Never had a problem with balance after fitting them ... and have been on 2 sets of tyres on the Audi and must have been 5 sets on the omega

I have the TC215/B with 6 sensors ... but 4 sensor sets are available ...    https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product-category/product/

User manual here :  https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/TC215B-user-manual-contents-20160222.pdf

extract from that ... "3.1 Wheel balancing
The weight of the sensors is within the tolerance achieved for wheel balancing, so there is
usually no need for the wheels to be rebalanced after installing the system. If vibration is
felt when driving at speed after fitting the system, the wheels must be rebalanced."

HTH  ... :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 February 2020, 19:26:13 »

Cheers for the info.  If you ever get 10 mins, can you weigh one?  I know I can feel if its 5g out (TBE runs on 18/8, making it more suseptical)
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 February 2020, 19:29:22 »

Cheers for the info.  If you ever get 10 mins, can you weigh one?  I know I can feel if its 5g out (TBE runs on 18/8, making it more suseptical)

If it's not raining tomorrow I'll do that for you :)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 February 2020, 21:13:51 »

I have the TC215/B with 6 sensors ... but 4 sensor sets are available ...    https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product-category/product/

User manual here :  https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/TC215B-user-manual-contents-20160222.pdf

that 4 tyre set is what Mrs Builders astra estate has fitted  :)
hers was branded DUNLOP (the tyre company)

same sets on ebay ,non branded, for sub £20 delivered

sometimes have to plug the display in to charge (via USB lead from the stereo) as the unit doesn't get much sun where she parks at work
but the batteries are easy to change in the valve cap sensors  :)
internal battery is IIRC a small 3.7v  lithium ion that could be swapped for bigger.
the display unit screen goes to sleep unless movement is detected ,to save battery life
not sure how accurate the tyre temperature readings are , but the PSI or BAR (you can choose either) is pretty accurate

the only thing i would say is the sensor valve caps are big ,so......
 not a great item for someone who stuffs their N/S tyre wall into the kerb every time they park  :-X

as it is a completely aftermarket ,independent system from the car , not an MOT item
though if its bleeping, chances are, they tyres need air ,which is an MOT item  ;D :D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 February 2020, 21:21:42 »

link clicky    
£14.59 delivered

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 February 2020, 22:15:48 »

link clicky    
£14.59 delivered

Neat little setup that  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 March 2020, 13:27:00 »

Just took one off and weighed it complete on SWTSMBO digital kitchen scales.... no idea how accurate they are but are the best I can do ....   7g ... old "normal" dust cap in the garage ... 2g ... so 5g extra

HTH  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 March 2020, 17:25:04 »

Just took one off and weighed it complete on SWTSMBO digital kitchen scales.... no idea how accurate they are but are the best I can do ....   7g ... old "normal" dust cap in the garage ... 2g ... so 5g extra

It does, thanks. So that would mean a rebalance for her car.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 March 2020, 21:41:58 »

It does, thanks. So that would mean a rebalance for her car.

That would of course be up to you, but I've never felt any vibrations at all in either the Omega or the Audi at any speed (even on a private test track .. !! ).....  if you went for them I would suggest trying without a rebalance first ......    :)

aaronjb

« Reply #29 on: 05 March 2020, 07:44:19 »

That would of course be up to you, but I've never felt any vibrations at all in either the Omega or the Audi at any speed (even on a private test track .. !! ).....  if you went for them I would suggest trying without a rebalance first ......    :)

The man has the most sensitive arse in the world, remember ;)

No idea how, with the amount of curries he's subjected it to... ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.