Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Astra oil pressure warning light coming on  (Read 14759 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Astra oil pressure warning light coming on
« Reply #60 on: 21 January 2019, 08:55:03 »

Check those vvt solenoid valves... If it's already experiencing top end rattles you want to get it done sooner than later ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 21 January 2019, 09:05:58 »

On my Omegas I often hear the fan whirring away when I come to rest after a hot run. I've never heard that on this Astra. I see from the wiring diagram that there are two power lines to the fan, presumably for different fan speeds. The fan is not seized, can be flicked round. My hunch is that the fan motor has failed. Any comments?

Apply battery power to directly to the fan and see if it works. A powerprobe is the tool for this, but a couple of lengths of wire will do.
If the fan works, then check the wiring, switch and relay(if it has one).

Don't forget that the engine is small, and the radiator efficient so the fan probably isn't needed much.

The fan on my 1.8 Metro on the stock, old 1.1 radiator only cuts in when sitting in London traffic. At least it does now I've reconnected it to a thermo switch rather than the stupid manual one the previous owner bodged for peace of mind ???
Rather what I had in mind. What's a powerprobe? Can I buy one in Halfords or at a motor factor? In the past I have struggled to stick needles into caled to deliver test power.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 21 January 2019, 11:10:13 »

Yep, it's not going to be nearly as reliant on the fan as a V6 Omega. If it hasn't actually overheated I would concentrate on the main issue which is oil pressure.

Does the oil pressure light come on now, and under what conditions?

High revs / Low revs / Idle revs?
Hot engine / cold engine?
After a long motorway run?
After a long period of idling?
etc.
Not come on since collection in London.

OK. In that case, I would probably hook up a manual oil pressure gauge and check the oil pressure with that, when fully warmed up, at idle and fast idle.  If it meets Vauxhall's spec. then replace the oil pressure switch and call it done. If not, then next actions depend on under what circumstances the pressure's low.

If it happens when sitting in traffic, then maybe, just maybe, overheating is a factor although I'd expect it to have boiled over by now if that's the case.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 21 January 2019, 12:40:37 »

I suspected the fan may not be kicking in
London traffic +hot engine+no fan =oil light  :P
was the rad hot (wet stat open ) at 105 degrees  :-\
coolant temp sensor is on the head
You were dead right about the fan not engaging. Haynes says the temperature sensor on the 1.6 is in the thermostat housing.
sorry,yes on the wet stat housing 
unplugging the coolant temp sensor should  put the fan on high (does on most vauxhalls  :-\) when the engine is running . which is a test to try (takes seconds to do ,will out EML on and throw a code but will reset when plugged back in )
so I presume the thermostat was working all right.
NEVER assume  :o always test  ;D :y

so my thoughts are, now you have 10w40 semi and a clean filter ,oil will be fine (but please check pressure when your test kit arrives )
it's vital the electric fan works though , when hot ,and what you can check and sort while waiting for the oil pressure test kit . :y

fan is vital because if the cooling system is not working then when overheating in traffic,the oil light will come on ,followed by blown head gasket ,which ,is dashed inconvenient  ;D and will be a faf to sort on a z16 xep (i know because i stripped  the head off one for a mate when he cooked it )

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 21 January 2019, 15:12:37 »

I suspected the fan may not be kicking in
London traffic +hot engine+no fan =oil light  :P
was the rad hot (wet stat open ) at 105 degrees  :-\
coolant temp sensor is on the head
You were dead right about the fan not engaging. Haynes says the temperature sensor on the 1.6 is in the thermostat housing.
sorry,yes on the wet stat housing 
unplugging the coolant temp sensor should  put the fan on high (does on most vauxhalls  :-\) when the engine is running . which is a test to try (takes seconds to do ,will out EML on and throw a code but will reset when plugged back in )
so I presume the thermostat was working all right.
NEVER assume  :o always test  ;D :y

so my thoughts are, now you have 10w40 semi and a clean filter ,oil will be fine (but please check pressure when your test kit arrives )
it's vital the electric fan works though , when hot ,and what you can check and sort while waiting for the oil pressure test kit . :y

fan is vital because if the cooling system is not working then when overheating in traffic,the oil light will come on ,followed by blown head gasket ,which ,is dashed inconvenient  ;D and will be a faf to sort on a z16 xep (i know because i stripped  the head off one for a mate when he cooked it )
Unplugged coolant sensor, ran engine; EML came on, fan did not turn. Looks like failed fan motor, don't it?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 21 January 2019, 15:25:37 »

Terry you have mail. :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 21 January 2019, 16:29:52 »

Unplugged coolant sensor, ran engine; EML came on, fan did not turn. Looks like failed fan motor, don't it?
Not necessarily, more likely to be a fuse or relay or failed speed resistor  .
more testing required  :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 21 January 2019, 17:38:15 »

That does not test the fan motor.  Bridging the terminals on the sensor plug ought to start the fan.

POWERPROBE  You do need to be careful when using one around electronic gadgets, but they're very handy

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 21 January 2019, 20:19:39 »

Not necessarily, more likely to be a fuse or relay or failed speed resistor  .
more testing required  :y
I have checked fuse 6, it's OK. I could change relays K12 and K13, but the resistor I believe is in the fan motor. I imagined as there are 2 relays they would not both fail at the same time.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 21 January 2019, 20:40:31 »

That does not test the fan motor.  Bridging the terminals on the sensor plug ought to start the fan.

POWERPROBE  You do need to be careful when using one around electronic gadgets, but they're very handy
Is bridging the terminals of the temperature sensor cable conclusive a test? I thought that with a water temp reading of 105 thta would be the same thing.

The Powerprobe looks a useful tool. I presume from the picture I connect the croc clip leads to the battery terminals, attach the earth lead to earth, push the probe into a positive wire to the fan, press a switch contact, and the fan should then spin, unless the motor is faulty. It avoids the temp sensor, the fuse and the relays. It would not avoid the resistor, but I imagine trying both power leads, one goes through the resistor and the other direct to the motor. More reliable than my pushing a needle into the wire.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 21 January 2019, 21:08:03 »

You could also simply connect the fan motor to the battery ::)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 21 January 2019, 21:13:45 »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 21 January 2019, 21:39:49 »

You could also simply connect the fan motor to the battery ::)
Not simply with it in the car. A socket from the loom connects with a plug to the motor. Maybe I could remove the plug from the motor surround and get access to the pins, I will investigate.
Today my sister borrowed my last Omega while she has her Mokka body repaired. My only transport is the Astra. She wants to sell the Mokka because she keeps crashing it and wants something smaller, and thinks she will get more for it when it is immaculate.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 21 January 2019, 21:54:07 »

If you think the fan should be running and it's not, unplug the fan motor and check for 12V at the plug. If there's 12V there, then it's an indication that the motor might be failed. If not, then either the ECU doesn't think it's hot enough or there's a relay / fuse upstream that's failed.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 21 January 2019, 22:03:02 »

You can also make a test lead using the fan loom from the seized car...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.