Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crankshaft locking for pulley removal.  (Read 2942 times)

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
Crankshaft locking for pulley removal.
« on: 01 February 2019, 17:53:20 »

Following on from Raywilb's seal replacement topic, has anyone tried or does anyone know anything about the unconventional method of stuffing rope in the piston bore to prevent crankshaft movement.
Provided the piston was at bdc coming up to compression stroke to ensure all valves are closed to eliminate possible bending, would this work? Youtube videos and comments seem to suggest that it does.
I would still prefer the bolt on type of tool which NickW would no doubt cobble up in a few minutes, but we lesser mortals have to consider all "easier" methods.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Crankshaft locking for pulley removal.
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2019, 18:17:55 »

You'll have to stuff a lot of rope into the cylinder to get enough lock to undo a crank bolt. It's normally mentioned as a technique for changing valve stem seals, but I'm not keen on it for that either.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2019, 18:26:05 »

Indeed. To remove the crank pulley bolt, you need to lock the pulley, not the crank, otherwise there's a chance you could shear the woodruff key or even damage the nose of the crank.

It'd be best to make up a tool that bolts onto the harmonic damper bolts and somewhere on the front of the block.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2019, 18:45:37 »

Indeed. To remove the crank pulley bolt, you need to lock the pulley, not the crank, otherwise there's a chance you could shear the woodruff key or even damage the nose of the crank.

It'd be best to make up a tool that bolts onto the harmonic damper bolts and somewhere on the front of the block.

A piece of bar with a couple of holes to attach to the pulley, long enough to wedge against the ground will do. The one I fabricobbled to do my crank seal locked against the water pump. The bolt was so tight that I had a serious curve in my breaker bar to undo it. No photos, as I've since repurposed it, but here's the model:

Holes 1&2 bolt to two adjacent holes on the pulley to  loosen the crank bolt, 2&3 hold the bar across the centre of the pulley and 4 is threaded for a bolt to draw the pulley off.

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2019, 19:28:40 »

Yup. I can't really see an alternative to using a sturdy bar to ensure safe results.
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a go at making one when I do the job.
I must say that watching breaker bars and universal joints bend on Youtube frightens the life out of me, but I suppose good ones are designed for the purpose.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2019, 21:40:45 »

I`ve heard some outrageous fun can be had unbolting the crank pulley bolt  :D
The torque setting is huge me thinks  ::)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2019, 22:05:30 »

Sometimes it’s just easier to cut the bolt head off .providing you can get access. Then that’s half the battle over with. They can be extremely tight to unscrew otherwise even with a long breaker.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 February 2019, 00:00:33 »

Sometimes it’s just easier to cut the bolt head off .providing you can get access. Then that’s half the battle over with. They can be extremely tight to unscrew otherwise even with a long breaker.

You'd better hope the last person to do the bolt up hasn't lock-tighted it in if you do that. If they have then your battle has only just started.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 February 2019, 19:00:20 »

That's true .you never know who's been there before you or why they would need to loctite a bolt that going on be so tight anyway !
That's how I got mine off but as you say what if ?

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 February 2019, 19:38:06 »

Am I being stupid? How on earth do you remove the shank of the bolt if you remove the head?

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 February 2019, 19:42:22 »

I've just bought a front crank seal but I doubt i'll get round to changing it given how tight the bolt will be..

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 February 2019, 19:45:09 »

Am I being stupid? How on earth do you remove the shank of the bolt if you remove the head?

Removing the head releases the stretch in the bolt.
You then grind a slot in what's left and unscrew it.
In theory any way ::)  In reality, it's a last ditch attempt when you've completely rounded off the bolt head.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 February 2019, 19:46:32 »

You'd better hope the last person to do the bolt up hasn't lock-tighted it in if you do that. If they have then your battle has only just started.

The only  safe way tp proceed is to hold a  heat gun on it for a least 6 minutes first at least this will help budge blue loctite  :)

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 February 2019, 20:04:34 »

I've just bought a front crank seal but I doubt i'll get round to changing it given how tight the bolt will be..

I think you`re forgetting the enormous sense of well meaning  you will have after you win over that booger of a bolt  8)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 February 2019, 20:14:15 »

A bolt tightens up against the back face of the head. If you remove the head ......  ;) just as Nick W says the bolt  shouldn't now be tight  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 February 2019, 20:18:04 »

I`ve heard some outrageous fun can be had unbolting the crank pulley bolt  :D
The torque setting is huge me thinks  ::)

In the past, on my Senator, I've just used a well placed clout of a lump hammer ..... it's all in the wrist action  ::) ::) however Marks suggests that 'isn't wise' on an Omega  :)
Or ..... block up a suitable spanner against the floor or inner wing & kick the starter. The last time I tried that (on a FWD car) I managed to wrap the ABS sensor wire around the spanner  :-[

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2019, 14:03:02 »

having done three in the past two years I stand by locking the crank. if the crank locking pin is inserted correctly so all is showing is the knurled end of pin you will not have even a thou play on the pulley. so no chance of damaging any thing. i admit it still needs brute strength but a good socket, breaker bar & i use a jack handle slipped over the bar. when i have done mine i have heard it crack then i have had to re-position the socket & bar then on the second attempt it made the cracking sound again . after that i can remove the bolt with a 1/2" ratchet. use a new bolt.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2019, 14:12:09 »

having done three in the past two years I stand by locking the crank. if the crank locking pin is inserted correctly so all is showing is the knurled end of pin you will not have even a thou play on the pulley. so no chance of damaging any thing. i admit it still needs brute strength but a good socket, breaker bar & i use a jack handle slipped over the bar. when i have done mine i have heard it crack then i have had to re-position the socket & bar then on the second attempt it made the cracking sound again . after that i can remove the bolt with a 1/2" ratchet. use a new bolt.

Very different on the V6, it tends to destroy the key on the sintered cambelt drive sprocket  :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.