Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focus ,03 pwr steering pipe disconnection  (Read 940 times)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
Focus ,03 pwr steering pipe disconnection
« on: 10 February 2019, 11:33:33 »

hi all
         planning a job on Swmbos 03 Focus . . . replacing the power steering pump as its now very noisy. I'm going down used replacement with pulley still attached route , so no need to remove old pulley.

After trawling through the Focus / Ford forums/ You tube etc.I cannot find a "how to " on this.

It looks fairly simple   . . remove aux belt  . . .4 bolts hold the pump on .  BUT . . . is there a special tool to remove the 2 fluid pipes to the pump ?

The bottom one looks like it will just undo with a crows foot spanner but the top one looks like it may require something special to get it off .

Has anyone removed these 2 pipes in the past  & could you advise me of how it is done .

Have a "Haynes" on order  . . but not holding out too much hope on that giving a clear instruction on how this is done  ::) ::)

TIA   Al   :P
« Last Edit: 10 February 2019, 11:35:05 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
Re: Focus ,03 pwr steering pipe disconnection
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2019, 11:57:43 »

hi all
         planning a job on Swmbos 03 Focus . . . replacing the power steering pump as its now very noisy. I'm going down used replacement with pulley still attached route , so no need to remove old pulley.

After trawling through the Focus / Ford forums/ You tube etc.I cannot find a "how to " on this.

It looks fairly simple   . . remove aux belt  . . .4 bolts hold the pump on .  BUT . . . is there a special tool to remove the 2 fluid pipes to the pump ?

The bottom one looks like it will just undo with a crows foot spanner but the top one looks like it may require something special to get it off .

Has anyone removed these 2 pipes in the past  & could you advise me of how it is done .

Have a "Haynes" on order  . . but not holding out too much hope on that giving a clear instruction on how this is done  ::) ::)

TIA   Al   :P

Update:   seems there are several versions of this pump on several different engines  ::) ::)

A c second investigation of mine seems to show that both connections may just be ordinary hose clips  :-\ :-\ ??? ??? ???    Crows foot only needed for later/alternate versions it seems . Best I wait until replacement pump arrives along the "haynes" book of bull.
Pretty sure replacement pump on order is correct one though  ;)
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
Re: Focus ,03 pwr steering pipe disconnection
« Reply #2 on: 16 February 2019, 13:08:15 »

All sorted this morning  . .  Replaced knackered pump ,no issues with pipe connections , HP was a union threaded into the bottom of the pump, LP was just a hose clip   :y

Bit messy getting old fluid out , but other than that easy peasy  ;) ;)

Much easier access with the OS headlight removed  (takes 5 mins)

Noisy rumble has gone totally  . .all good   :y :y :y

Brownie points scored with SWMBO ;D ;D ;D ;D

*Haynes book was about as useful as a chocolate teapot  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 16 February 2019, 13:11:26 by Alnico Blue »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.