Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel alignment values  (Read 2546 times)

mandula

• Finland
    • Opel Omega -03, Z22XE man
    • View Profile
Wheel alignment values
« on: 20 June 2016, 12:11:18 »

Hi,

I've been looking for known-good values for wheel alignment, but could only find bits of information with search.

What I've been discovered so far:

Front
- camber -1,1/-1,1
- toe-in 0,05/0,05

Rear
- camber (will settle where it will, if no alignments modified to trailing arms)
- toe-in 0,05/0,05

Are these good for standard suspension with new struts and springs?
How important it is to have toe-in at rear, if I want to get rear camber as close to zero as it goes by adjusting toe-in close to zero?

Is there some topic where all these information can be found? I noticed there are a lot of these kind of topics but not much information about values..

My car is 2.2 (Z22XE) 2003 caravan/estate with almost all bushings replaced with polys, new springs and struts (Bilstein B4) and, well, about everything is less than one year old related to suspension or steering. Wheels 235/45R18, rims 18.5x18 ET30.

Thanks for any help!

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel alignment values
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2016, 12:48:29 »

The rear camber/toe settings are a compromise. Getting the toe correct so that the car steers straight is more important than the camber being a few minutes off.

The settings you quoted for the front are correct, and once you get close to them are independently adjustable. This is not complicated, simple spanner work and attention to detail will get it done. If the person doing the job tells you otherwise, they are either too inexperienced or lazy to do the job properly.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2016, 16:58:27 »

Its absolutely critical on the Omega to get the thrust angle at 0'00 - ie, the rear toe identical both sides.
Grumpy old man

mandula

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2016, 07:27:14 »

Thanks for replys. Dunno how I missed those two topics completely..

One more question:

I'm planning to install these eccentric bushings to rear trailing arms (inners only) to get adjustable camber.

Are these any good for this purpose?

How about adjusting rear camber and toe-in, in what order does it need to be done?
- First loosen toe adjusting bars (just loose or detached from trailing arm/subframe?), then adjust camber and then finally toe?

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2016, 11:04:35 »

I'm surprised nobody commented on this, as, given the compromise required with Omega rear settings, I would have thought these were a good idea. ??? :-\ :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2016, 11:53:17 »

The camber on one side of my MV6 is way off. But I get no handling or tyre wear deficiencies with it. Hence I believe that, although its a compromise, I always get mine set perfectly on thrust angle, and sod the rear camber :)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2016, 15:05:02 »

I'm surprised nobody commented on this, as, given the compromise required with Omega rear settings, I would have thought these were a good idea. ??? :-\ :y
An old debate, overall not advised as I recall... reason being people get tempted to fit to both bushes, which can jam up the trailing arm. Not good.

Omega rear toe and camber are a single adjustment and vary from car to car... As TB says, set the thrust angle to exactly zero and go home :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

mandula

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 October 2016, 11:53:09 »

I comment this now, because I've done the job and rear settings are symmetric and inside tolerances (not so much near zero-camber as I wanted, but if I remember correctly, right rear wheel camber was like -2,5 deg or more, now both are like -1,6 deg).

I already had poly-bushes on rear and alignments done, all I did was I took inner polys out and put those eccentrics in, it was pure luck I managed to get them right to correct positions.

Then I took the car to 4-wheel alignment again and all went as usual; adjust rear toes and then front adjustments. Job done and drives well.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2016, 20:07:09 »

An old debate, overall not advised as I recall... reason being people get tempted to fit to both bushes, which can jam up the trailing arm. Not good.

Omega rear toe and camber are a single adjustment and vary from car to car... As TB says, set the thrust angle to exactly zero and go home :y

If fitting those it`s probably best to take off the tie rods, as Doctor Gollum says it can jam up the trailing arm.

The whole purpose of the inner void bushes and the tie bars is to give it a passive rear wheel steering, this was carried over from the Senators and Carltons and it makes the omega a bit more nimble than it ought to be for it`s size and weight.

There used to be a poly bush kit for the Carlton rear wishbones (inner and outer bushes) and it was recommended to remove the tie bars when using these.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.