Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: European Tour by car  (Read 4945 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
European Tour by car
« on: 27 October 2018, 16:50:59 »

We are getting near the end of 15 year Spanish house restoration project. During that time we haven't travelled much for one reason or another. When the circumstances are right we fancy doing a tour of Europe.  tunnie will be pleased to know that we won't be using a tin tent despite our very happy months spent looking for houses in France and Spain back in 2004 with Omega as tow car. The reasons are we haven't a caravan, a towbar and too limiting in speed and finding a site and so on. So it would be hotels booked on the move each day.

Might call it the Fare Well Europe Tour for want of something better!

Have been to France, Portugal, Belgium, Holland, Germany Austria and a bit of Italy. So would like to do Ireland Holyhead to Dublin and then Belfast to Cairnryan) and Scotland call in and see relatives ( the Highlands) . Looked at ferry from Immingham to Stavanger but at 36hours that is no good for me. Hugh and Ralf would be my best friends. :-[ So it would be English channel crossing and then up the coast.

Quite keen to see Denmark, Scandinavia and then the Baltic countries. I am thinking early summer best time for those, less midges and less snow.

Poland, Ukraine? (Rods2 is it safe in the West?) plus central East Europe countries

Then, or perhaps before, pull in South east Europe including Italy but even with air con would not want to be doing that in the height of the summer.

Probably cost a fortune (but no pockets in a shroud) and take weeks. Spanish friends would look after the house while we are gone.

When it comes to route planning and itinerary we obviously won't be able to do everything but the idea would be to use scenic routes as well as motorways and to have specific places to go and see in each country.  If someone asked me for Spain , I would say see Monserrat near Barcelona, The Alhambra at Granada and the Segovia area plus drive through the Picos de Europa in the North.

One downside is we will have to take the damn dog with us. His passport would be up to date and he will be vet wormed within five days of UK entry. A plus is he loves car travel.

Has anyone done anything similar?  Or parts?  How did you get on?   Any tips especially over which season as don't want to be battling the elements? The car is well serviced and has European breakdown recovery included in the insurance. I would have a look at each countries minimum requirements like high vis jackets, warning triangles, breathalyser kits etc.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: European Tour by car
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2018, 19:29:52 »

I've always wanted to do a road trip round the Baltics.   8)

Basically, ferry to Calais and turn left, keep going to Poland and then into Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.  If brave enough, nip into Russia, through St Petersburg and nip out again into Finland (if not brave enough ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki), round to Sweden, down to Denmark, on to Germany, turn right and home!  :y

I've been told that there are some amazing beaches on the Baltic coast and there is a Lake District in the north east of Poland, which I have been to, but it was January and minus 20-something!  :o  What we saw through the blizzards was very pretty!  ;D

I'd also recommend Hungary (Budapest, Lake Balaton), Romania (Bucharest, Constanta and the Black Sea coast, Cluj Napoca, Brasov, Timosara), Bulgaria (Sofia, Varna) and down into Greece.  :y  Driving around Greece was awesome as you don't see many tourists away from the coast, there are ancient ruins all over and you can almost see and feel the Roman Legions marching across the countryside.  8) The food is great as well! At the Greek version of the Burger Van, the Kantina there are great kebabs to be had! Yum!!  :y

I've not been, but a friend has been to Slovenia a few times and raves about the place!  Also have you considered heading south across the Med to Morocco? Another friend did a 'Banger Rally' a few years ago to Timbuktu, which is probably not so good these days  ::), but said Morocco was great.  :)

Keep an eye on what happens if we end up in 'No Deal' territory as Junker has said that British people will not be able to bring pets into the EU, so you might be able to take Fido to Blighty but not out again.  :-\  Such a nice chap!   ::)
« Last Edit: 27 October 2018, 19:31:45 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2018, 22:19:35 »

Western Ukraine is perfectly safe. Visit Lviv, a beautiful city. :y

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 October 2018, 10:15:13 »

Crossing channel I would recommend going via Harwich to Hook of Holland.
Dont have to deal with French immagration
Night ferry is good, leaves Harwich at 10pm, docks in Holland at 7am

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2018, 12:14:30 »

Thanks

Lviv added to the list.

I think the dog wont be too much of a problem, at least paperwork wise, as he has a Spanish pet passport. You have to have a vet administer and record in passport, worming tabs within five days of entry into UK.. So would have to “do “ Ireland in 3 days.

Mrs V wants to go to Morocco sometime. Quite hard to get car insurance here for Africa but plenty of short trips available.

What is East Europe like ? Romania , Bulgaria for example? Safety, getting accomodation. Anyone been?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2018, 12:33:24 »

What is East Europe like ? Romania , Bulgaria for example? Safety, getting accomodation. Anyone been?

See above.  I spent 6 weeks in Romania a few years ago and loved it.  The people were very friendly, scenery is often stunning, the Black Sea resort of Constanta was fun, accomodation was easy to find and it was cheap.  :y

Be wary of the Romany gypsies though and I know that this is not a very PC thing to say but they are often criminals and are despised and marginalised by the general population.  :-X  Having said that we didn't have any problems in 6 weeks touring all over the country.  :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2018, 12:51:09 »

:y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2018, 13:08:58 »

A good trip if time and money were no object would be to do my Baltic trip in reverse and then head south through Eastern Europe to Greece, back north to through the Balkans to the UK.  :y

So..... ferry to Calais turn left to Belgium and onwards to Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania, Kosovo, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, Switzerland, France and home wherever that may be!  8)  :y

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2018, 09:21:35 »

If you are going to Bulgaria, why not pop over the bridge into Turkey?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2018, 09:23:22 »

Do you need a list...  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2018, 11:48:48 »

Yes please.  :)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2018, 12:17:49 »

yes if you have some places or scenic routes in mind. We quite like old buildings and medieval towns. That sort of thing we can google.

If you look on an atlas something like the n340 in Portugal and Spain looks as though it hugs the coast but it doesn't really and is now terribly slow and built up so if someone asked me I would say avoid it.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 October 2018, 14:45:04 »

yes if you have some places or scenic routes in mind. We quite like old buildings and medieval towns. That sort of thing we can google.

If you're passing that way, Deventer in the Netherlands is rather beautiful, my old company was headquartered there. Its an old part-walled medieval town (800AD ish) and the cathedral is lovely. I stayed once in a place called the IJssel Hotel which is right by the river, its a lovely building and a great restaurant and you can get a water taxi into the town from there.

Bizarrely they also have an annual Shakespeare festival there too  ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 October 2018, 17:48:58 »

Apologies, I was thinking of reasons not to go to Turkey :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 October 2018, 20:23:05 »

Apologies, I was thinking of reasons not to go to Turkey :D

That's fine.  You can still give us the list!  ;D

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.